HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 24, 2006, 12:26 AM
Canada, SK, Prince Albert
Joined Jan 2006
1,406 Posts
Discussion
Guillow's P-40 Rubber Power to Elec RC, Help!

I am currently building a Guillow's P-40 Kit#501 (Wing Span 16.5 inches). I would like to convert it from rubber power to Electric RC. The plans call for a Pee Wee .020 gas engine. Any suggestions or advise on this conversion would be appreciated. This is my first small project so I am unfamiliar with micro or mini RC conversions.
arcticflyer is offline Find More Posts by arcticflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2006, 06:01 AM
Stuck on a rock
Faroe Islands, Sandoy, Sandur
Joined Nov 2000
5,813 Posts
Paul Bradley has done a couple of conversions of the similar sized Hellcat. Take a look here: http://www.parmodels.com/elec_rc.htm

Michael
epilot is online now Find More Posts by epilot
Old Sep 24, 2006, 08:07 AM
Bethpage Grumman, New York, United States
Joined Nov 2002
2,145 Posts
I would think the JMP falcon servos would be perfect for a model that size.
mike glass is offline Find More Posts by mike glass
Old Sep 24, 2006, 11:04 AM
Joined Mar 2006
895 Posts
I just ordered a rubber powered P-51 for the same reason, was looking here for ideas... cool... RFFS and actuators??
mr badwrench is offline Find More Posts by mr badwrench
Old Sep 24, 2006, 11:31 AM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
Guillows are heavy but sturdy. The RFFS / actuators would work if they are the big actuators. The JMP or the Falcon RX w/2 servos is lighter, though. A geared N-20 would be my low-cost suggeston, 2 cells if you need the extra power.
Mike Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Mike Taylor
Old Sep 24, 2006, 02:13 PM
Joined Jan 2006
1,406 Posts
Thanks guys for the great advice. I am realy excited about this project. After building some fairly large models I thought a small project would be easy. I found that I know little about elec and have never done a conversion or built a kit that doesn't have directions for everything. Does anyone make a nice little package with everything that I would need for this aircraft? Thanks again, Skip
Old Sep 24, 2006, 03:07 PM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
Falcon has complete packages, including kits that have everything. You will need a charger and perhaps batteries. Look at there page here: http://www.falconmodels.uk.com/acata...cessories.html
There are a number of options listed, and it will give you an idea of costs and performance. The systems start at the top of the page and top performance. The brushless motors provide vertical performance if you desire and can afford it. The great thing about these is that all the power comes at a small weigh penalty. Your Warhawk could go vertical if you wanted...

The two cell brushed motor packages like the Whizz-Bang, are far cheaper and still provide adequate performance. I have the Whizz-Bang myself, at it weighs ~54 grams or so. It has very spritely perfomance with 2-cells and the brushed motor.

Most of the stuff above can be bought in the U.S. and other countries. See falcon's home page for a list...

Assuming an airframe weight of 30 to 45 grams for your Guillows kit, 5 grams for RX & 2 servos, and 8 grams each for motor & battery, you're looking at 56 to 70 grams AUW. The 2-cell N-20 system would fly the model, and you are still at 1 gram per square inch, a light enough value to make it slowable. It is real easy to let weight get away from you though, so think 'light' all the way through the build.

If you've built larger models and are comforatble with film coverings, you can save weight and add durability over tissue with RA MicroLite. It is color and adhesive backed mylar that is easy to work with, and the silver is very realistic if you felt like doing one in the buff...
Mike Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Mike Taylor
Old Sep 25, 2006, 01:44 AM
Joined Jan 2006
1,406 Posts
Thanks Mike! I'll look at the site. I now have the plane framed up. There sure isn't much room for the gear in the center of that thing. Not being used to such a small model has me wondering where to put everything and how to mount it. Are there any threads or sites that have some good pics or even a step by step on one of these 16" conversions.
Old Sep 25, 2006, 05:17 AM
Joined Mar 2006
895 Posts
articflyer, theres a pdf at slowfly.com
http://www.slowfly.com/manuals/microp-51.pdf.
mr badwrench is offline Find More Posts by mr badwrench
Old Sep 25, 2006, 06:56 PM
i cant fly 55
i dont know
Joined May 2006
1,065 Posts
just out of curiosity, would plantraco controller 2 packegde deal setup work on these?
f14_Tomcat_92' is offline Find More Posts by f14_Tomcat_92'
Old Sep 25, 2006, 07:05 PM
Joined Nov 2002
2,145 Posts
If you mean starter set number 2 with the actuators?
Those are for smaller models! Under an oz.
Old Sep 25, 2006, 07:06 PM
i cant fly 55
i dont know
Joined May 2006
1,065 Posts
well then would the falcon servos work with jr gear? can also buy those too.?
Old Sep 25, 2006, 07:36 PM
Moderador.
guadalajara, jalisco, mexico
Joined Sep 2002
9,234 Posts
I am building an low cost rc Guillow P-40 for my 9 years son Avraham, using the Microflyer equipment, but with a bigger gear reduction and prop.

When it be ready, I tell you the results.

Cheers.

Alf
Alfredo Rubio is offline Find More Posts by Alfredo Rubio
Old Sep 25, 2006, 08:25 PM
i cant fly 55
i dont know
Joined May 2006
1,065 Posts
thanks alfredo!
Old Sep 25, 2006, 08:38 PM
Joined Nov 2002
2,145 Posts
You will need the JMP rx for the Falcon servo's or you can get a Falcon breeze block, thats the RX and two servos combined into one package.

Mike