HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 23, 2006, 09:13 PM
How high will it go?
Greenwood Lake NY
Joined Oct 2003
2,703 Posts
Discussion
NEsail Diablo 3D build thread

Ok, this is my first build thread. It takes enought time to build them, takes even more time to make a thread about it, but I love sharing with my fellow modelers, and reading their contributions as well.

disclaimer-I do not like the name diablo. What is funny is that there is the name diablo, and opposite the diablo are veggie tales, Christian cartoons. Too funny, like the angel and the devil on your shoulder. But it's just a name, and that is life, so on I go. Someone had a sense of humor when they made this.

First, order of business, install the airelon servos, well they were already installed for me, but no surprises here. I got this plane in a trade at the NEAT fair. Using hitec hs-85mg's all around. I hope they are good enough. The cutouts require small servos, so I am going with it.
antslake is offline Find More Posts by antslake
Last edited by antslake; Sep 23, 2006 at 10:12 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 23, 2006, 09:16 PM
How high will it go?
Greenwood Lake NY
Joined Oct 2003
2,703 Posts
motor mount

Ok, on to the motor mount. For power we are using an AXI4120/14 with thunder power 60003s3p, and a jeti 70 amp

I had to bring the motor out further to meet with the front of the cowl. Being a sheet metal worker, I fashioned one out of 0.50 aluminum. Hand bent in a vise, as I do not have any sheet metal machines here.
Last edited by antslake; Sep 23, 2006 at 10:13 PM.
Old Sep 23, 2006, 09:18 PM
How high will it go?
Greenwood Lake NY
Joined Oct 2003
2,703 Posts
break

Whew, that was like work!
Last edited by antslake; Sep 26, 2006 at 11:03 AM.
Old Sep 23, 2006, 09:19 PM
How high will it go?
Greenwood Lake NY
Joined Oct 2003
2,703 Posts
Next will be glueing the tail together, be back in a few. That will probably be all I can manage tonight.
Old Sep 23, 2006, 10:04 PM
How high will it go?
Greenwood Lake NY
Joined Oct 2003
2,703 Posts
Tail feahers (horizontal fins)

Seems my friend glued in the vertical stab, and works freely, so on to the horizontal fins.

I made my first mistake. See if someone can figure out from the pictures, you can have a beer on me if you do.

I corrected it and moved on. Hey first mistake of the year!! lol

Used a square to get everything even. Let the pictures do the talking:

I was going to impress everyone with my mad epoxying skillz, but the stab was so tight, I just used ca. I use a combination of medium, and fine, to get in the cracks, and fill the voids.

Overall this is a very well made arf, nice quality.
Last edited by antslake; Sep 23, 2006 at 10:16 PM.
Old Sep 23, 2006, 10:15 PM
springfield,ma
Joined May 2005
809 Posts
I'm not sure did you join the two elevators before putting them into the fuse? That is a huge batt. Is it asking for that?
renerc is offline Find More Posts by renerc
Old Sep 23, 2006, 10:18 PM
How high will it go?
Greenwood Lake NY
Joined Oct 2003
2,703 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by renerc
I'm not sure did you join the two elevators before putting them into the fuse? That is a huge batt. Is it asking for that?
yep, I forgot to put the hinge wire that goes between the two elevators, before gluing the stab. I had to make another one, and bend it once it was in there.
Old Sep 23, 2006, 10:22 PM
How high will it go?
Greenwood Lake NY
Joined Oct 2003
2,703 Posts
Is there such a thing as too much battery or power?

Honestly, I wasn't the one who sized this all up, my friend did, and I think they sold him something a little overboard, but thats fine with me. It won't go to waste
It does have a 50" wingspan, and is a .46 size plane.
Old Sep 23, 2006, 10:28 PM
How high will it go?
Greenwood Lake NY
Joined Oct 2003
2,703 Posts
Feel free to give advice along the way, and help me build it!
I ain't no master builder, but built about a dozen planes, and helped build a couple dozen more.

I sponser a building group in my shop, and we meet all winter, and work on stuff together, and eat pizza.
Old Sep 23, 2006, 10:44 PM
springfield,ma
Joined May 2005
809 Posts
I made the same mistake on my plane. I was making such good progress that I forgot to put the wire in. That is a big plane for electric. That batt should be good. cant wait to see it done. How is the landing gear mount in the plane. I seem to be reinforce mine when I build.
renerc is offline Find More Posts by renerc
Old Sep 23, 2006, 10:55 PM
How high will it go?
Greenwood Lake NY
Joined Oct 2003
2,703 Posts
Solid wire gear, not sure how it goes, but at the rate I do harrier landings, like my magic it shouldn't last to long, lol

I have some heavy duty landing gear, I can put on, but at the expense of wieght. So I will either have to limit my harrier landings (yea right) or deal with it.

I will video the maiden at the end.
Old Sep 23, 2006, 11:04 PM
They will soar on wings..
USA, CA, Danville
Joined Aug 2004
1,163 Posts
The wire gear works fine. My Diablo weighs 3.2lbs. AUW and lands at a very slow speed. I'm running a Himax 3522-990, APC 13x6.5E, TP 3s2p 4200mAh (two 3s-2100mAh PL in parallel), about 500watts. Thread here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=564501

Ron

p.s. Of course, I didn't try a harrier flop-it-down type of landing...
rsasaki is offline Find More Posts by rsasaki
Last edited by rsasaki; Sep 23, 2006 at 11:09 PM.
Old Sep 23, 2006, 11:53 PM
How high will it go?
Greenwood Lake NY
Joined Oct 2003
2,703 Posts
Thanks rasaki!

Ok, I said I would quit, but who quits building when they say they are?

I went on to add servo extensions, snake them through, mount the servos, and got the rudder working.

I had a little problem with the hitec fitting, there was a gap, so I glued some plywood behind to fill the gap, see the pictures.

I also bent one of the control rods too aggresively, and snapped it. Luckily it was the longer one going to the rudder, and now I can just use it on the elevator, which doesn't need ot be as long.
Old Sep 24, 2006, 11:20 AM
USA, NY, Brookhaven
Joined Mar 2003
1,482 Posts
Antslake,
Great thread, I was at the neat fair and was looking at one of these kits form americanpioneerhobbies. Then later in the day on Sunday I saw one fly. It flew very well but it seem to be heavy. I should of asked the guy flying it some question but I was busy at the time. I am very interested in how you plane comes out and the all up weight. Thanks again for the great thread.
Rickc
RickC2009 is offline Find More Posts by RickC2009