Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 23, 2006, 03:18 PM
Professor of Wood
Nampa. Idaho
Joined Nov 2004
4,266 Posts
Build Log
Dragonfly build

I'm finally starting to make a little progress on a new plane. This one will be an Electric plane powered by an AXI 2826/12.

In this case I'm using a glider wing from the "Mytus" glider by Teltech built in the czeck republic and sold by RC Dymond. It features an 87 inch span. I like the fairly flat (very little dihedral) high aspect wing with ailerons. This will make for a very roll stable AP plane. I will use a co-pilot, CPD4 in the final AP airframe.

http://www.rc-dymond.com/index.php?productID=672

The camera is a 5 mp Canon powershot SD450. It features 30 fps video and a live video out as well as other nice functions. It is built into a balsa and hard wood nose turret that has been covered with 1/2 ounce glass cloth. The turret has a bearing pivot on one side and will be direct drive from a Futaba S9001 coreless motor servo for smooth tilt action on the other side. It will be set so it can be adjusted in flight from straight ahead horizontal to straight down vertical. There will be a video system to downlink the camera view.

Airframe will be single carbon tail boom with motor set in a pusher configuration.

I'm still not fully decided but am leaning towards a Vee tail set up in the tail feathers. The servos for the tail section will be in the tail section. Iíll run the wires for the servoís inside the 3/8 od carbon tube.

Right now I'm making the modules for camera, wing mount etc. Then I'll size up a fuselage to blend them together.

Dan
kd7ost is offline Find More Posts by kd7ost
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 23, 2006, 03:27 PM
Flying on Flux Capacitors
Edmonton, AB
Joined Apr 2005
1,422 Posts
Lookin great,
I will definatly be watching this build very close. You previous plane (pictured in you avatar) was a work of art. So precise and clean as well as having a super functional design. Cant wait to see this build progress. Good luck...tho I doubt you need it.

Curt
Flipper_118 is offline Find More Posts by Flipper_118
Old Sep 23, 2006, 03:42 PM
Professor of Wood
Nampa. Idaho
Joined Nov 2004
4,266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipper_118
Lookin great,
I will definatly be watching this build very close. You previous plane (pictured in you avatar) was a work of art. So precise and clean as well as having a super functional design. Cant wait to see this build progress. Good luck...tho I doubt you need it.

Curt
Thank you Curt,

There's always a bit of luck involved for me. I appreciate your kind words. I do draw on a lot from things I see other people do. Like from you guys on this forum. I haven't done an electric in the last 10 years or more and have never done a V tail either. I'll be picking some brains here for sure.

I want to point out I have pulled idea's for this plane primarily from John O'Sullivan and Typicalaimster. But there have been many others too. Thanks Guys.

Dan
Old Sep 23, 2006, 04:05 PM
Whadda YOU lookin' at?
Folsom, CA
Joined May 2002
2,516 Posts
Dan,

Very cool, I'm too busy yet to build myself, so I'll be watching!

CJS
CactusJackSlade is offline Find More Posts by CactusJackSlade
Old Sep 23, 2006, 04:09 PM
Peakaboo!
Sakinee, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
1,388 Posts
I will follow this thread with interest.

If you have the time, take a look at RT Ideas and SoarNeck's concept .
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...&page=33&pp=15
Gwelan is offline Find More Posts by Gwelan
Old Sep 23, 2006, 04:30 PM
I AP'd myself again......
Yawn....Iowa
Joined Mar 2005
2,500 Posts
Neat idea Dan. You could use a high start / winch on this for launching to same some juice for later. I like the camera pod. I'll watch this one!

Dave
aviatordave is offline Find More Posts by aviatordave
Old Sep 23, 2006, 04:44 PM
Professor of Wood
Nampa. Idaho
Joined Nov 2004
4,266 Posts
I'm pretty busy too CJS, but I'm going to keep plugging at this one. I started a few build threads in the spring then left home pretty much all summer. I have a hard time staying "into the build" when I have to be gone, then come back then go again etc. It disrupts the mental creative process. I quit trying back then, but now that its fall my schedule is slowing down a little bit.

Hey Gwelan, I love your plane. I have ever since I first saw it. Iíve lurked on that thread and even put a few ideas out on the new design we hoped for from Mountain Models. I did learn there are quite a few ideaís about what is needed, wanted or whatever. Itís pretty hard to share at the end of the day if you have strong personalities with differing views. No one idea is wrong. Just different. I find for me the best thing to finally do is just individually build what I see in my head. No one can argue with my ideas that way.

Thanks for jogging my memory to that thread. There are lots of great ideaís and builders there. I draw inspiration from your plane too.

And thanks Dave. Not the new big Ag plane, but I really need a smaller electric for doing other fun stuff. Since I have all the material on hand I better get it built and start having fun with it. I havenít been able to enter many or any photo contests because most of them require oblique shots in public places. This plane should allow me to do some of that.

Dan
Old Sep 23, 2006, 06:06 PM
Helsingborg, Sweden
Joined Sep 2001
1,813 Posts
Hey Dan!
Really nice to see you started this thread. I'll follow it with interest. Have you decided on adding any type of 'return-home' failsafe device or telemetry?
I probably have too many questions anyway, so I guess I'll stick around and watch the thread for the time being!
Good luck!
/Bjorn
icebear is offline Find More Posts by icebear
Old Sep 23, 2006, 06:27 PM
Peakaboo!
Sakinee, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
1,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd7ost
Hey Gwelan, I love your plane. I have ever since I first saw it. Iíve lurked on that thread and even put a few ideas out on the new design we hoped for from Mountain Models. I did learn there are quite a few ideaís about what is needed, wanted or whatever. Itís pretty hard to share at the end of the day if you have strong personalities with differing views. No one idea is wrong. Just different. I find for me the best thing to finally do is just individually build what I see in my head. No one can argue with my ideas that way.

Thanks for jogging my memory to that thread. There are lots of great ideaís and builders there. I draw inspiration from your plane too.
Dan
Thanks for the kind words.

New things are on the drafting table:
- adapting the original Mantis fuse to a flying wing
- adding a servo for tilting the camera during flight
- testing the existing wing with Winggrids
Gwelan is offline Find More Posts by Gwelan
Old Sep 23, 2006, 06:57 PM
W4UAV
Gainesville, FL
Joined Nov 2005
1,043 Posts
Dan, youre always coming up with better ideas than me!!!!!!!!!
I love that tilting camera setup, I may have to look that over a little closer, I am building another fuse for the Mantis and I havent been impressed with its current tilting camera setup.
Its gonna be nice!!

Mike R.
RaptorAP is offline Find More Posts by RaptorAP
Old Sep 23, 2006, 09:32 PM
Professor of Wood
Nampa. Idaho
Joined Nov 2004
4,266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by icebear
Hey Dan!
Have you decided on adding any type of 'return-home' failsafe device or telemetry?
I probably have too many questions anyway, so I guess I'll stick around and watch the thread for the time being!
Good luck!
/Bjorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorAP
Dan, youre always coming up with better ideas than me!!!!!!!!!
I love that tilting camera setup, I may have to look that over a little closer, I am building another fuse for the Mantis and I havent been impressed with its current tilting camera setup.
Its gonna be nice!!
Mike R.
Nice to hear from both you guys.

Bjorn,

I'm not certain yet but I do want to leave the options open. Thatís part of the reason I might stick with a conventional tail assembly. I don't want to have to put an on board mixer for rudder control. I have a Pico Pilot at my disposal. I also want to put a tail wheel on though. It's so much easier in a plane this size to just attach it to the rudder.

Mike,

No way. You're also a lot more productive than I've been. I set my current plane up with a very similar system on the small board camera I use to line up on the fields with. I realize it would simplify things to move the whole digital camera and shoot and view from just that one. I feel it's the logical next evolution of what I did in the Pegasus. I've seen other guys do it too.

Dan
Old Sep 23, 2006, 11:54 PM
Not THAT Ira
Coupeville, Wa
Joined Jan 2006
4,722 Posts
Hey Dan,
This looks to be a very cool bird. Kind of sailplaneish.
Is your main goal to max loiter time?

Ira
Real Ira is offline Find More Posts by Real Ira
Old Sep 24, 2006, 12:20 AM
Professor of Wood
Nampa. Idaho
Joined Nov 2004
4,266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Ira
Hey Dan,
This looks to be a very cool bird. Kind of sailplaneish.
Is your main goal to max loiter time?
Ira
Heya Ira,

I hadn't planned on long loiter time. I'll be happy to get 15 to 20 minutes but suspect that will be tops if I manage the throttle carefully. The main goal is to just have a real steady electric plane. It will be a bit draggy with that big camera pod nose out front.

Dan
Old Sep 24, 2006, 07:13 PM
Pull out early!
Lexington, KY
Joined Jan 2005
1,956 Posts
Woo-hoo! Game on!

Have you set an AUW goal?

Dave
DiveBombDave is offline Find More Posts by DiveBombDave
Old Sep 24, 2006, 07:22 PM
Yet another flying K1W1
Wellington, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2006
495 Posts
Hi Dan,

Thanks for the advice you've been giving me lately, I will most certainly watch this thread with interest.

Cheers
Colin.
41south is offline Find More Posts by 41south