HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 22, 2006, 06:29 PM
Joined Jan 2002
30 Posts
Discussion
What to build for a first time builder??e

I'm looking for suggestions for a very simple plane that a first time builder can make from dupron or FFF. The plan would need to be a real slowflyer that could be flown in a small area such as a front/back yard
Flyboy03051 is offline Find More Posts by Flyboy03051
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2006, 09:08 PM
Suspended Account
Greenview,IL
Joined Feb 2006
1,247 Posts
Heres a link to some planes made by GPW (RCG Member). Many of them have build logs here. http://www.foamfly.com/gallery/Glen?&page=1
You could also check the sticky at the top of the Electric Planes. JAM has compiled a great list of plans. Hope this helps.
Water Boy is offline Find More Posts by Water Boy
Old Sep 23, 2006, 12:02 AM
Use whatcha got!
Metairie, LA
Joined Sep 2000
2,982 Posts
flyboy - check out the UFO thread... (another of gpw's).

It can be flown on an IPS drive to make a slow-fly/floater.

Just keep it light, stick with light gear/battery and it'll fly very slow...

-mike s.
msmith is offline Find More Posts by msmith
Old Sep 23, 2006, 07:46 AM
You deserve my opinion
Collierville, TN
Joined Apr 2005
1,497 Posts
If you're looking for detailed help, try Waterdog's STC. He includes a downloadable build guide which is excellent if you are just getting started. Unless you're an experienced flyer, you won't want to try this (or most other planes) in your back yard.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=354237

Let us know how it goes!
FirstShirt is offline Find More Posts by FirstShirt
Old Sep 23, 2006, 07:54 AM
New Hampshire-seacoast area
Joined Jun 2005
1,755 Posts
Check this one out. Very simple, use light gear, quicly built. This was the first foamie I made and still hangs in my cellar.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hlight=gym+blu
praymond is offline Find More Posts by praymond
Old Sep 23, 2006, 09:08 AM
Happy2ndChildhood
London Ontario
Joined Aug 2005
1,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstShirt
Unless you're an experienced flyer, you won't want to try this (or most other planes) in your back yard.
Now that advise is worth a couple hundred bucks in my pocket rather than window installers. Got me thinking. My first parkflyer was treed 100' up across a soccer field in less than 30 seconds. Could have been through neighbours kitchen window in less than 3 seconds.

My first foamie from plans was Waterdogs STC due to the build guide. I always recommend it aswell to friends that show interest, but I must admit, GPW's ufo is such a fast build and so easy and flies so sweetly and really does not need a build guide. I would be tempted to say make both to start, ufo first because you can have it done and in the air in half an hour. Then you can putt along building the STC every time you must come home to charge batteries.
Don McGill is offline Find More Posts by Don McGill
Old Sep 23, 2006, 09:13 AM
Joined Jan 2002
30 Posts
msmith - Ok I read the thread of the UFO and certianly looks simple. I have a sheet of dupron to work from but no micro electronics I would need the whole set up, motor, prop, servo, bat, etc.

Can you select (detail) the electronics to use and best place to purchase? Not sure if i want to start with a 16" or 21" UFO.

I would appriate any additional suggestions

Bob
Old Sep 23, 2006, 03:20 PM
WOOOOsssSSSShhHH !!
Long Island , NY
Joined May 2003
1,007 Posts
I second the vote for the UFO. Simple to make , but flies nicely.

You do not have any RC components at all? Or just no micro stuff?
You'll need a transmitter with elevon mixing for starters.

If you are serious...ill send you a GWS 4ch pico RX for free to start you off. ( i have many just laying around)

The cheapest way to go is brushed setup for motor. Although nowadays a cheap brushless setup is quite doable.

Esc: depends on motor. For brushed motors...I beleive msmith has some for sale..perhaps he will chime in on this. GWS has a 5 amp esc that is cheap yet reliable. Brushless motors...You can get a cheap bl esc for $ 20 some even cheaper.

Motors: To brush or not to brush. Brushed motors are cheaper..but brushless motors are getting cheaper by the day it seems. Many of us have had good luck with a cheap johnson 250 brushed motor. If you want slow flight, a lrger prop would help. Although the j250 with a 4x2.5 prop will kinda fly slow if you want to.

Servos: 2x micro sized ....hitec hs55's are good as well as the GWS pico servos. There are some cheap Bluearrow servos for $9 apeice but they are not the greatest...but will work.

Props: depends on motor and batt.

Battery: here is the tricky part. You'll need to purchase a lithium poly chrger if you go the lithium poly route. A 2 cell lipo works well for brushed setups.
A 3 cel lipo for when you wanna really boogie with a brushless moto !

Off the top of my head there is one place that carries all of this : Bphobbies.com

Hope this helps !!

Make a UFO...you'll love it. Join the alien nation

Spar

** Tower hobbies has the GWS pico servos for $8 !!! im gonna grab some myself.
sparrow1717 is offline Find More Posts by sparrow1717
Last edited by sparrow1717; Sep 23, 2006 at 03:38 PM.
Old Sep 23, 2006, 04:11 PM
Joined Jan 2002
30 Posts
sparrow1717 - I have parkflyer gear mostly speed 400, HS-61 servo, Nimh batterys, etc but no micro gear.

I was looking for specific recommendations because I don't know much about the micro stuff and I want to make sure everything would work together and I could use the gear again on the next plane.

Does anyone sell a starter set of micro gear maybe with a plane that would be cheaper then buying indiviually ??

Bob
Old Sep 23, 2006, 04:25 PM
WOOOOsssSSSShhHH !!
Long Island , NY
Joined May 2003
1,007 Posts
GWS has a pico flight pack. 1 pico rx , 2 pico servos a 5amp esc and a 7 cell NIMH batt in one package.

Here : http://www.allerc.com/product_info.p...oducts_id=1001

Motor : http://www.allerc.com/product_info.p...oducts_id=1599
with a GWS 9x7 RS prop

EDIT** The esc with that package is not good enough Its rated for 3 amps !! hmmm...you could still get it and buy the one msmith has for sale though !!!!!! Keep the little 3 amp esc for a small brushed plane project.

Ive ordered from AlleRC...great company , fast shipment.

hope this helps

Spar
Last edited by sparrow1717; Sep 23, 2006 at 05:57 PM.
Old Sep 23, 2006, 10:45 PM
Use whatcha got!
Metairie, LA
Joined Sep 2000
2,982 Posts
I love ordering from allerc. They're one of those 'magic' companies that gets my orders to me 1/2 way across the country in usually 1-2 days.

I do have 3 esc's for sale, and if they're going on scratchbuilt foamies, then I'll sell them for $25.00 shipped

Will also throw in a (3) J250's. This is just for the scratchbuilt foamies folks though.

Yeah, gws pico servos are some of my favorites... reliable, and for $8.00 each they can't be beat. Well... i guess they could if they were free somewhere else.
msmith is offline Find More Posts by msmith
Old Sep 24, 2006, 03:40 PM
Maryland's eastern most shoreline
Joined May 2004
566 Posts
msmith...where can I find GWS pico servos for $8.00? I like using them but have been paying $14.00 for them.

Bob
thermal is offline Find More Posts by thermal
Old Sep 24, 2006, 03:48 PM
WOOOOsssSSSShhHH !!
Long Island , NY
Joined May 2003
1,007 Posts
Tower hobbies : http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LR9160&P=DS

bon apetit '

Spar
Old Sep 24, 2006, 06:48 PM
Maryland's eastern most shoreline
Joined May 2004
566 Posts
Amazing, Tower sells them for $8.31 with a JR plug but charges $13.00 for the same servo with a Futaba plug. Guess which plug type I need?

Bob
thermal is offline Find More Posts by thermal