HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by GliderGuideMan, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 22, 2006, 10:25 AM
Kite flying SCRAPS member
Hampshire, UK
Joined Apr 2004
973 Posts
Discussion
Ripmax Tiger Moth E-conversion

OK I have a Blog so I thought it was about time I used it. First off I thought I would document a project I am working on at the moment.

I bought a Ripmax Tiger Moth over 3 years ago. It is a 48" wingspan model suitable for a 25-40 glow engine, mine had an OS40LA installed. I flew this plane a lot and really enjoyed it until the firewall (and attached engine) parted company with the rest of the airframe. Luckily I was taxiing the plane at the time. It would have been an interesting flight if this had happened in the air. The plane was hung up in the hanger and there it lay for a year or more.

Roll on a couple of years. I have a new family and flying time is limited, which means I have less flight damage to repair each week. Having repaired my more recent models I thought it was abaout time to get the Tiger Moth back in the air.

Since hanging the plane up I have gone all electric, and since I needed to build a new firewall anyway (the original was only about 2mm thick!!! and made of a very flexible ply like material) I thought I would convert it to electric. I also fancied making it look a bit different and looked around for an interesting colour scheme.

Lastly, I thought I would add a few details not on the original model, I am not the greatest builder in the World and I am not looking to enter any competitions, but I think the model deserves a few more scale like touches. I will look to add rigging wires and some detail around the cowl and undercarriage etc.

So here goes...

I have stripped the airframe of the original covering - which just shows you how invasive glow fuel is, there was no real indication just how fuel soaked the airframe got.

I have started sanding down the remnants of the original covering and fixed the elevator joiner which literally came apart in my hands as I stripped it down.

I used the original firewall as a template and cut a new one from 1/8" Birchply. I have attached this with Epoxy and used balsa stock and Epoxy and micro balloons to ensure it stays in the front of the airframe.
GliderGuideMan is offline Find More Posts by GliderGuideMan
to remove ads between posts