HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 22, 2006, 04:04 AM
Joined Aug 2006
104 Posts
Question
i got a few questions if you have some time for me

hey guys.
i bought a few days ago raptor 50 with everything. i found out that i have g301 gyro and as i understood its not really good.
i wanted to ask you if it is dangerous to go fly with g301 gyro and i should buy a g401 immidiately or can i wait a few weeks\months?
and another thing someone can explain to me what is the difference between a mechanic gyro and electric gyro?
is it really importent to have an electric gyro for the tail?
can i go to fly alone after having experience with hours of sims and the honey bee2 fp?

thanks for your answares and i hope not to bother you again so agresively.
galsim is offline Find More Posts by galsim
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2006, 05:26 AM
Suspended Account
New Zealand, Waikato, Hamilton
Joined Aug 2005
2,432 Posts
Hi how are you? well I would personally throw away the 301 and either go for a gy 240 or a 401 see here http://www.futaba-rc.com/radioaccys/futm0807.html think about what your helicopter is worth and if you are learning you need a good gyro...heading hold is a must theese days...
NZ_Nitro is offline Find More Posts by NZ_Nitro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 22, 2006, 06:51 AM
Fonny
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2006
206 Posts
I've got a 401 and would have rebuilt my Raptor 20 times without it. Heading hold is a must. Mine has performed flawlessly, even protected me from falling out of the sky when I mis-assembled my tail pulley.
My 2c.
Rob.
rjfon1 is offline Find More Posts by rjfon1
Old Sep 22, 2006, 09:40 AM
Alabama
Joined Feb 2003
617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjfon1
... Heading hold is a must ... My 2c ...
HH is a must in order to successfully perform certain advance manuevers.
HH hold helps to reduce the mental work load when you are just learning to hover ... however ... you will need to learn to control the tail later on in forward flight.
So ... I disagree that it is a "must".

I learned to fly in rate mode and 6 years later am still flying in rate mode. I've switch to heading hold on occasion and saw the benefits but I simply learned how to control the heli with the sticks and I have yet to fly in a manner which most undoubtedly would require heading hold.
I wanted to develop these "rate mode" skills in the event HH for some reason failed or I accidently switched to Rate without knowing it. It would be beneficial to know how to fly in rate mode. Likewise, I do spend sometime in HH just for the same reason.

I will agree that heading hold is a big plus and in some maneuvers is in fact necessary but I disagree it is an "overall blanket statement in all conditions" a must.

Good Luck,
d.tipton
tippy is offline Find More Posts by tippy
Old Sep 22, 2006, 10:03 AM
Mulit-Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Sep 2004
3,026 Posts
A good gyro is worth its weight in gold but saying its a "must" is like saying an automatic transmission is a "must" to learn how to drive. It will surely make it easier but those of us that have been flying a while remember the days when they tried to outlaw gyros in competition.
barracudahockey is offline Find More Posts by barracudahockey
Old Sep 23, 2006, 04:30 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2005
2,432 Posts
ha ha showing your age barracuda.......
Old Nov 24, 2006, 01:26 PM
Joined Aug 2004
13 Posts
I learned to fly without using the heading hold and to this day I still dont care for it. It is like anything else learn to fly then use the fancy stuff makes a better pilot out of you.
Mutt is offline Find More Posts by Mutt
Old Nov 24, 2006, 10:37 PM
I cant fly helis!
Joined Oct 2006
45 Posts
ive been learning to fly with a futaba FP-G3BB rate gyro with no problems although the guys at the local club are calling me crazy...
streetluger56 is offline Find More Posts by streetluger56
Old Nov 24, 2006, 11:11 PM
flying high
San Jose, Costa Rica
Joined May 2006
405 Posts
Good to see some people that support the good old rate gyros. I have a really old Futaba Rate Gyro. Everyone so far told me they are horrible but I think i'd have to agree it's only going to make you a better pilot.
nickCR is offline Find More Posts by nickCR
Old Nov 25, 2006, 03:12 AM
rogue_medic
portkennedy ,western australia
Joined Oct 2004
295 Posts
while a gyro may be as good as a necessity, hh , although nice to have isnt

i seem to remember my first heli being an old gmp cricket with NO gyro, and that flew ok <not great, just ok ...>

it is definatly easier with hh though , and it does teach you to use the rudder to coordinate your turns,
chris higdon is offline Find More Posts by chris higdon
Old Nov 26, 2006, 04:28 AM
there is no spoon...
Pueblo, Colorado
Joined Jul 2005
594 Posts
Ball Bearing gyros, better than nothing I guess. My first heli had an Arcomax rate gyro(not Heading Hold). Paired up with a Futaba S148, it worked great! I still have a Thunder Tiger TG-8000 and a Futaba 9401 on my old Scout 60 II that works just fine. Keep in mind both are Piezo Electric gyros. Remember to use Revo mix on your radio and once it's set up, you shouldn't have problems.

Just remember, you can have the best gyro out there, but without a good tail servo it'll never perform. The Futaba GY401 and 9254 combo is a great deal. I got all three of mine from Heli Proz for $189.00 at the time. Hell, the gyro alone is like $160 from Tower.

Aaron
Cap232ac is offline Find More Posts by Cap232ac
Last edited by Cap232ac; Nov 26, 2006 at 05:01 AM.
Old Dec 10, 2006, 08:33 PM
Heli Beginner
Northern Ireland, UK
Joined Nov 2006
63 Posts
i have a GY401 gyro. the guy at model shop explained the difference between head hold n rate gyro. i didnt really understand.

i wonder if 1 of u wud b kind enuf to explain the difference to a beginner
LikWydd is offline Find More Posts by LikWydd
Old Dec 10, 2006, 11:41 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2005
2,432 Posts
here you go dude

all the info you need is here click on this link
Old Dec 11, 2006, 02:39 AM