HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 21, 2006, 05:22 PM
Northwich, England
Joined Oct 2005
16 Posts
Discussion
launching aids

Someone, somewhere out there must have the ideal launching system for a four foot long, 18lb boat, that wont break my back each time I bend down to launch it. I've tried motor fan belts but they damage the rails/stanchions on the boat. There must a myriad of differant systems being used. Please share your ideas. Thanks.
mndsw is offline Find More Posts by mndsw
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2006, 05:32 PM
no wings any more, just dust!
stoke on trent
Joined Oct 2004
8,052 Posts
what I tend to use is along the same lines, but consists of two lengths of 5100lb breaking strain ratchet strap webbing stapled to two lengths of timber about 12" long, then gaffa tape wrapped around the wood to prevent splinters.

I have used them for my yamato, and they have done NO damage. they are also long enough so the straps when lifted at waist height mean the model is just above the floor, ideal for lifting down to a canal
Ghost 2501 is offline Find More Posts by Ghost 2501
Old Sep 21, 2006, 05:33 PM
North Central TN USA
Joined May 2006
3,613 Posts
Look under "sailboats" and "square rigger kit". Down a few posts it shows a launch cart, kind of like a small hand truck. Something like that may work.
420TEE is online now Find More Posts by 420TEE
Old Sep 22, 2006, 10:53 AM
Central Missouri,USA Along the banks of the Missouri River
Joined Jun 2005
1,734 Posts
Mndsw, I've seen alot of systems over the 7 years I've attended regattas.I've seen the pvc pipe with pipe insulation for a cushion method.I've seen small carts with wheels.I have a 6ft long battleship (41lbs)and I usually find a helper and we each grab an end and set it in.I guess it partically depends on where you will most likely be launching you boat.A ramp launch is different than one straight into deep water.A launch into deep water(like from a dock)shouldnt be too hard with a boat your size.I had back surgery a few months back and they showed my how to lift properly.You should always use proper form when lifting (or launching) back surgery is NOT FUN!!
tim slocum is offline Find More Posts by tim slocum
Old Sep 22, 2006, 12:16 PM
Lima, Ohio
Joined Jan 2004
163 Posts
Tim,
I agree about the back surgery. I will never do it again. As for the launch methods I have a RC Boat Modler Mag that has a entire article devoted to this topic. How many rules, Laws would I break if I copied it and posted it here?
excotec is offline Find More Posts by excotec
Old Sep 22, 2006, 01:55 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,417 Posts
Marine Rail System

It lifts the boat up to three feet above grade, to work on, and then lowers the ship down to the water level.

[edit]
I knew this mignt show up somewhere in the background at Bellevue.
Here are a couple shots of a typical launching rig. This one is threaded rod and wood, but it typical of the style that people build using pvc pipe.
The cross bars, or plastic grate across the bottom cradle the boat till it is down on the water.
Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Last edited by Umi_Ryuzuki; Sep 22, 2006 at 02:17 PM.
Old Sep 22, 2006, 02:41 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mndsw
Someone, somewhere out there must have the ideal launching system for a four foot long, 18lb boat, that wont break my back each time I bend down to launch it.
Something like this?
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Sep 22, 2006, 03:26 PM
Hunt County, Texas
Joined Sep 2005
126 Posts
NTXBG Launch Crane

Here's another:

JM
johnmca72 is offline Find More Posts by johnmca72
Old Sep 22, 2006, 06:24 PM
Submarines, etc.
Arvada, Colorado
Joined May 2005
1,601 Posts
This was the boat lift at the Subcommittee subregatta, i think it is actually owned/built by the indianapolis admirals
tsenecal is online now Find More Posts by tsenecal
Old Sep 22, 2006, 06:35 PM
Hunt County, Texas
Joined Sep 2005
126 Posts
We've also considered building a mini lock system, so that ships can sail into a "canal" & be raised up to a convenient "workbench" height. Also, a mini "Falkirk Wheel" would be cool. Both need a good supply of water at a higher level, though.

A trebuchet may also be used to launch ships, but not so good for retrieval - if there's anything left to retrieve, that is! ;-)

JM
johnmca72 is offline Find More Posts by johnmca72
Old Sep 22, 2006, 11:10 PM
Central Missouri,USA Along the banks of the Missouri River
Joined Jun 2005
1,734 Posts
The St Louis Admirals RC Boat Club has a smaller version of what Johnmca72 posted.Its portable.
tim slocum is offline Find More Posts by tim slocum
Old Sep 22, 2006, 11:36 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Dec 2005
1,228 Posts
Everything is bigger in Texas.

Thanks
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmca72
Here's another:

JM
steveciambrone is offline Find More Posts by steveciambrone
Old Sep 25, 2006, 02:41 PM
QBXB
Kissimmee, Florida
Joined May 2004
24 Posts
Over the weekend I photographed this launcher at a Tampa,Fl. area fun float.
qbxb is offline Find More Posts by qbxb
Old Sep 25, 2006, 03:42 PM
3 Blades to the Wind
Atascadero, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
4,085 Posts
I don't think any of those lifts would work well with sailboats and their nice long skegs. The side slip launch could probably be modified to launch the boat perpendicular to the shore/dock and work with all boats.

I would think a floating, made of styrofoam, single lock with a battery/solar powered pump would be workable. Steer the ship into the lock. Close the gate, fast fill, pull ship out at 'okay for the back' height and put next ship in, fast drain and out she goes. Probably could be built in a day and for fairly cheap.
Shaun Hendricks is offline Find More Posts by Shaun Hendricks
Old Sep 25, 2006, 04:00 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Dec 2005
1,228 Posts
Sail boats are easily launched by lowering them into the water buy holding the main mast, don't even have to bend over. I still like the Texas solution.

Thanks
Steve
steveciambrone is offline Find More Posts by steveciambrone