HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 21, 2006, 12:26 AM
Bellbrook, OH
Joined May 2005
225 Posts
Help!
Suggestions/comments please...RC launch setup for Estes rockets

I've been thinking of a way to launch Estes rockets via RC. But I want to launch multiple rockets by using a single channel. I'm thinking something like using a PIC chip setup to control tiny relay's that switch current to the igniter wires from a small 6v battery pack.

Program the PIC to sequentially fire a different relay every time a switch on the TX is flipped.

Thoughts? Comments? Help designing such a circuit?
Thinking of a relay similar to this http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bi..._PC._MT._.html

Anyone built something like this before? I was going to use a PicoSwitch from Dimension Engineering, but since I'd have to have a channel and switch per rocket...that's just too much.
secretagentman is offline Find More Posts by secretagentman
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2006, 02:49 AM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,822 Posts
You could either program the PIC to make pins ABC go high, either all at once or with a timed delay between A, B, C. Or you can make it count the times a single switch changes state (say ch5 gear switch) and then make each pin go high each time the pic detects a PPM signal >1.5ms in width.

You could use relay's but a neater way would be to drive a FET to do the switching
Malc C is offline Find More Posts by Malc C
Old Sep 21, 2006, 08:41 AM
GI, Michigan
Joined Jun 2004
360 Posts
A simple state machine useing MOSFETs would probably work very well. Also look into using platinum or nickle coils instead of igniters. You will be able to use them more then once.
Tophinater is offline Find More Posts by Tophinater