SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 20, 2006, 11:10 PM
Egg Harbor City, New Jersey
Joined Apr 2006
167 Posts
Discussion
** UPDATED ** What do you guys think? ** UPDATED **

I thought you guys might like to see my latest.
I am planing on making the first flight this Saturday.
This is a Aspect Aviation little Bubba that I scaled up and scratch built.
It will have a O.S. Max 25FX, and a 4 channel system.
Wingspan is 27" and flight weight is 3 lbs.
I hope this thing will scream, but it probally will always be on the edge due to the wingspan and wing area.
Let me know what you guys think.

2robinhood is offline Find More Posts by 2robinhood
Last edited by 2robinhood; Sep 23, 2006 at 07:02 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2006, 08:52 AM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,434 Posts
I have no idea what an "Aspect Aviation little Bubba" is, but 3.5lbs. is a lot of weight and a 25FX is a lot of engine for a 27" WS plane. Can you post pics?

Ivan
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 21, 2006, 02:19 PM
Oxford Panic
United Kingdom, Oxford
Joined Feb 2003
3,659 Posts
Robin,

It's probably going to be a bit of a handful. Have you got good reactions and plenty of RC flying experience under your belt?
Set plenty of expo on the ailerons and elevator so it doesn't surprise you too much.

Tell what happens, best of luck.

Andy.
AndyOne is offline Find More Posts by AndyOne
Old Sep 21, 2006, 02:30 PM
Finland
Joined Nov 2004
573 Posts
Wow, looks...diffrent
You do some mountainbiking I guess?
Test005 is offline Find More Posts by Test005
Old Sep 21, 2006, 02:39 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,499 Posts
Should be at least as much fun as a Wonder.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Sep 21, 2006, 04:26 PM
S.A.D. member
Joined Dec 2004
9,434 Posts
Hmmm, now I understand... For some reason the pics were missing before when I saw the thread.

Anyway, it will be fast! Including landing. I'd expect it to flip over on landing. Maybe on takeoff too, but you can always hand launch it. Reminds me of the Lanier Shrike.

I agree with Andy and Paul - it might be handful if you don't have enough RC flying experience but will be fun if you do.

Tell us how she flies!

Ivan
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 21, 2006, 06:29 PM
Joined Apr 2006
167 Posts
Sorry, I posted the wrong weight the first time.
Without fuel it is 3 lbs. even.
I put the landing gear as far forward as I could, so I think it should be fine for take offs and landings.
The origional has no landing gear at all. I built one and made it electric. It was fast but had a high wing load. the stock 17" wingspan and it was 19.5oz. You were always on the sticks and it really ripped. I scaled it up 50% and figured a .25 would make it skoot. I kind of think it will have the same traits as the origional ( always on the sticks / no relaxing ) but we'll see. I have flown for 15 years, got out of it for 14 years, and started back up this years. It was like I never stopped flying. I am now flying a, Ultimate 40, a F-4 Phantom, a brushless Zagi, and a Scatcat pylon racer. The origional is called Lil' Bubba, I call this one Bubba, and if all goes well with this, I may make a bib' Bubba ( .60 or .90 size ). This is the link to the origional.

http://www.aspectaviation.com/lilbubba.htm
Old Sep 21, 2006, 07:36 PM
Non-Discriminatory User
Joined Mar 2003
1,741 Posts
I like, I like, I like....fast omg yes this should be fast. Do not use standard grade hardware to connect the control rods to servos or surfaces. Get heavy duty stuff.
Lightnin is offline Find More Posts by Lightnin
Old Sep 22, 2006, 08:41 AM
S.A.D. member
Joined Dec 2004
9,434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2robinhood
I put the landing gear as far forward as I could, so I think it should be fine for take offs and landings. The origional has no landing gear at all.
Still I think it might flip over as it will come for a landing FAST! Unless you land on asphalt/concrete runway, I'd expect it to flip over when the LG touches the ground. As it's already installed, I'd leave the LG on it and see how she does. If she flips over on landing just remove the LG and belly land her (preferrably on grass).

Quote:
I built one and made it electric. It was fast but had a high wing load. the stock 17" wingspan and it was 19.5oz. You were always on the sticks and it really ripped. I scaled it up 50% and figured a .25 would make it skoot. I kind of think it will have the same traits as the origional ( always on the sticks / no relaxing ) but we'll see.
That's exactly what I'd expect it to be.

Quote:
I have flown for 15 years, got out of it for 14 years, and started back up this years. It was like I never stopped flying. I am now flying a, Ultimate 40, a F-4 Phantom, a brushless Zagi, and a Scatcat pylon racer.
I guess you won't be having trouble flying Bubba.

Ivan
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 23, 2006, 07:00 PM
Joined Apr 2006
167 Posts
She flys.
I was hoping for it to be faster, but it's not to bad.
I would say that a safe guess is 80-85mph.
First atempt at a take off wasn't so hot, I was holding some up to keep from nosing over, she lifted off and did a hard roll left. Major engine tourqe at low speeds, and hit the prop. After that I have the take offs down.
Landings I still need to figure out. I came in fast and bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce. I'll get it.
I taped the flights on DVD. If anyone can tell me how to upload from a disc, I'll try to post the videos.
Old Sep 23, 2006, 10:10 PM
fly fly fly
Stationed in Aviano, Italy
Joined May 2005
486 Posts
you'll have to download a dvd to mpg program, i used ImToo, but you can use what ever, if you do decide to go with ImToo, it's really easy and you can find a serial anywhere for it, just google for it :\
CanDyRaVeR is offline Find More Posts by CanDyRaVeR
Old Sep 24, 2006, 07:23 AM
Just Plane Going To Heli
Leipsic, OH
Joined Jan 2004
1,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanDyRaVeR
you'll have to download a dvd to mpg program, i used ImToo, but you can use what ever, if you do decide to go with ImToo, it's really easy and you can find a serial anywhere for it, just google for it :\
(Emphasis added to quote.) Careful, CanDyRaVeR. This sort of thing gets warnings in the simulator forum.
Tweener is offline Find More Posts by Tweener
Old Sep 24, 2006, 12:01 PM
Joined Apr 2006
167 Posts
Posted a video.

radio control scratch built Bubba (2 min 48 sec)
Old Sep 24, 2006, 09:15 PM
fly fly fly
Stationed in Aviano, Italy
Joined May 2005
486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweener
(Emphasis added to quote.) Careful, CanDyRaVeR. This sort of thing gets warnings in the simulator forum.
That's the reason i have to stay away from the electric fourm, they sent me a pm warning for saying "make sure you don't jack it up by doing that"

They said that i couldn't use the term "jack" So i in turn posted that

Quote:
"My car the other day had a blow out, so my friend JACK came and helped me JACK UP my car. Once it was JACKED UP, we threw a spare on there, but when i stood back and looked at my car, it looked JACKED UP. so we RE JACKED IT UP, to fix it. got home safe, but still looks JACKED UP...

JACKED UP STORY HUH!!!"
again thats the reason i have to stay away from there, they are a buncha 5 year olds in some fourms...

and i have a lil temper when it comes to immaturity, prolly why i don't have kids!!! lol yet at least...
CanDyRaVeR is offline Find More Posts by CanDyRaVeR