HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 20, 2006, 08:35 PM
Grantham, Lincolnshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
123 Posts
Discussion
Small cam with video out, available in the UK

I'm about ready to have a go at AP, getting better at flying the easy star, so it's time to search for a suitable digital camera.

There are a few mentioned as very suitable for AP on here, but they seem to be more popular in the usa.

Anyone got a list of small compact digital camera's, light weight, with video out so i can use a downlink later for framing the shots, that's available in the uk??

Or anyone hacked a small camera to add video out? i'd really like shutter priority too, but it seems the really light camera's are pretty basic too,

I don't really want to spend too much, just in-case i loose the plane with the camera on board, but then again, i'd pay extra to get the features i need... video out and shutter priority.

Tried ebay, but there's so much rubbish on there nowadays it's hard to find a half decent camera in the cheaper end of the market.
Gazzz is offline Find More Posts by Gazzz
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2006, 02:12 PM
United Kingdom, England, Manchester
Joined Apr 2005
899 Posts
Gazz,

I would start, as I did, with a cheap durable camera like the Aiptek SD range. It withstood many less than perfect landings and is easily hacked to allow the shutter to be fired by the Tx. They are available in 1.3 and 2 Mega pixel varieties and take cheap SD memory cards. There is one on ebay at the moment http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

I then moved on to a second hand Pentax Optio S4 which, after 2 flights is sitting on my desk with the lens stuck open after a hard landing. I now use a Konica Minolts X50 which does not have an extending lens and fits fully within the EZ* cockpit (with a few mods). I still have my original Aiptek and may fit it to the Easyglider that I am building (slowly). I have not yet used a downlink. I need all my concentration to fly the plane

Richard
Bearded Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Bearded Flyer
Old Sep 21, 2006, 03:00 PM
Oxford Panic
United Kingdom, Oxford
Joined Feb 2003
3,658 Posts
Guys, What are good down links available in the UK?

Thanks,

Andy.
AndyOne is offline Find More Posts by AndyOne
Old Sep 21, 2006, 04:55 PM
UK
Joined Jul 2002
250 Posts
If you can solder you might want to try these 2.4 ghz modules from Active Robots.

http://www.active-robots.com/product...-modules.shtml
Tatty is offline Find More Posts by Tatty
Old Sep 21, 2006, 05:18 PM
Oxford Panic
United Kingdom, Oxford
Joined Feb 2003
3,658 Posts
Tatty,

There's some good stuff there, which transmitter power would you choose, I guess the 500mW one would give you the best chance avoiding drop-outs but will it interfere with the received RC signal.

Andy.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 11:54 PM
UK
Joined Jul 2002
250 Posts
You need to be careful here. Legally in the UK you're limited to 10mW output power in the 2.4 ghz band.

500mW is a bit excessive anyway for line of sight flying. As long as you have a good receiver antenna (do a search on here for patch antennas), the lower power versions should be ok.
Tatty is offline Find More Posts by Tatty
Old Sep 22, 2006, 04:49 AM
Oxford Panic
United Kingdom, Oxford
Joined Feb 2003
3,658 Posts
Tatty,

Wasn't there some talk of raising the legal power limit in line with other countries.

Andy.
Old Sep 24, 2006, 07:06 AM
Scottish Borders
Joined Mar 2006
578 Posts
AndyOne
Do you have any information regarding the raising of downlink power?
Early this summer a BMFA person mentioned the possibility of 100mW on the phone.
Dave
orraman is online now Find More Posts by orraman
Old Sep 24, 2006, 04:45 PM
Joined Sep 2006
123 Posts
Argghhh, i missed out on that pencam shown on the link, ment to put in a last minute bid, but forgot about it untill an hour after the auction ended.

Now i can't seem to find any of the 1.3 or 2 megapixel pencams, tons of the 0.3 mp ones, even trying new, google and froogle throw up only the 0.3 mp pencams (folding ones, egg shaped ones and all that, but all very low resolution)

Wished i had a cam on board today, got the highest yet with my plane, perfect sunny day, i was above the hot air baloon that comes over where i fly every time i launch, that would have made a good shot or 3.

Wondering what other brands the aiptek pen cam sd 2 is sold under in the UK?? i know in america there's 3 or 4 different brands of essentialy the same camera, but over here it's harder to find.
Old Sep 25, 2006, 05:51 AM
Stop Resisting!
Horse Capital of the World, KY
Joined Nov 2005
268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzz
Now i can't seem to find any of the 1.3 or 2 megapixel pencams, tons of the 0.3 mp ones, even trying new, google and froogle throw up only the 0.3 mp pencams (folding ones, egg shaped ones and all that, but all very low resolution).
Gazzz, the Pencam SD 1.3 Pencam is available here for $19 US plus shipping. I could buy it and ship it to you with a CamMan kit for $10 US extra (all that you would need to supply to make it a complete kit, would be a servo lead). Shipping would be $10.50 US (for USPS Global Priority Mail).

Let me know if you're interested,

- ebayrcer -
ebayrcer is offline Find More Posts by ebayrcer
Old Sep 25, 2006, 07:02 AM
can you land on that ?
Scottish Highlands
Joined Jan 2005
3,271 Posts
Watchout in case you get slammed for 17% import duty. I bought a good bargain price second-hand Canon lens for a SLR 35mm , after that and postage it wasnt such a deal , except the lens was rare in UK s/hand market. Gazz , it so happens I have an Aiptek SD 2mega that has the Blip conversion for sale . It plugs into r/x channel of your choice and flick of a switch or stick and it takes a shot. Never tried the video though. PM me and haggle or swop !
arrow5 is offline Find More Posts by arrow5
Old Sep 25, 2006, 09:18 AM
Joined Sep 2006
123 Posts
PM'd
Old Sep 25, 2006, 04:27 PM
Joined Sep 2006
123 Posts
Right, sorting out buying the camera now, amazing how things can work out, been searching ebay, google and all that for days trying to find a pencam that's got better than 0.33 mp, seems that's where aiptek has gone for the pencams now, really cheap very low res versions.

I'm a born tinkerer tho, and i can't help wondering if there's a way to pick up the signal from the ccd/cmos sensor and feed it to a monitor via a downlink from one of these cams? i guess my best option would be one of the hongkong wireless camera's and aim it in the same direction at the pencam, or point it through the view finder even, but if there's a way to hack the pencam to get what it see's onto a monitor then i'd love to explore that possibility,

may get a couple of the cheap 0.33mp pencams to faff about with tho, don't want to risk the seemingly rare 2meg pen cam
Old Sep 25, 2006, 05:46 PM
Registered Loon
Jeffreys Bay South Africa
Joined May 2006
1,316 Posts
tatty , what else would be required to 'finish' off a system like that ? i mean do i just need a bullet or pin hole camera and my mini dv cam hooked up to the receiver ? im sure there is a power source available using a lipo from the plane for the camera ? * goes to search*
Blackrat is offline Find More Posts by Blackrat
Old Sep 25, 2006, 05:53 PM
virginia beach
Joined Jun 2005
284 Posts
you might want to chk out this site chinavision.com
ericthetree is offline Find More Posts by ericthetree