HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 20, 2006, 11:18 AM
Nucking Futs
Southern Killafornia
Joined Jan 2005
1,626 Posts
Discussion
Let's play fantasy DS design!!!

So now that the DS bug has sunk it's teeth into me even tighter it's time to start designing while the CNC cutter gets set up. The parameters is that it will be relatively inexpensive to build meaning that carbon will be used as reinforcements mostly and not for the entire aircraft. If you haven't read the Popcorn thread in the slope forum that's about where we are as far as technology is concerned. We have a similar rig and will use similar design and manufacutring techniques.

Let's start with the wing.

Hollow molded for sure. I'm thinking 60" span for transportability and for possible other endeavors such as MOM racing or whatever. I know that the larger span provides more stability but the tradeoff in stability is worth it to me for the above mentioned advantages. If it proves to be sketchy we could lengthen the span and keep the same chord later on.

DS19 airfoil seems to be the ticket as I just saw the Kinetic piloted by KOTH turn some quick laps and he was very pleased with it.

Chord is still up in the air. Any suggestions?

Spar construction is a mystery to me. We can pre-build them to drop in like the Popcorn so the layers can be prefabbed and just cut out of a sammich. WHat type of sammich you guys think? Hardwood center, some carbon, another hardwood on each side? WHat about a drag spar? WOuld that help?

Fuse. Highwing with a hatch. Similar to a Destiny in that department. Just make it beefy so you don't kill it on a botched landing. Of course we know it'll die on a gnarly impact. I don't know if there is a mathematical formula for stability on the length or not but we know longer is more stable with the tradeoff being tail weight. Again, I'm open to all suggestions.

The tail. Now here's where it gets interesting. V-tails work very well but every one I've flown wiggles a lot so I think that's out. T tail gets clean air but looks tough to get linkage in there and to keep it from breaking on less than perfect landings. The X tail looks to be the best of both worlds, get it high enough for clean air but accessible enogh for the linkage to fit without too much hassle. The tail also has a formula based on wing area doesn't it? Or are all formulas out the window when it comes to DSing? Lastly, should the tail be an actual airfoil?

I think that's it everyone. If you have stuff to add to the list I would appreciate it a lot.

RJ
I'm Rick James is offline Find More Posts by I'm Rick James
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2006, 12:25 PM
Ninja of the Nasty
Joined Jan 2004
10,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Rick James
DS19 airfoil seems to be the ticket as I just saw the Kinetic piloted by KOTH turn some quick laps and he was very pleased with it.

RJ
im sure the kinetic is not a DS19 but im not sure exactly what it is... i believe its from the HN line but dont know the #

if i ever got off my butt and built a DS plane... it would look like this.. ive had this printed and hanging over my desk for a little while... went from a conventional tail to a T-tail after flying/owning the kinetic... i would use a slight taper in the LE and a strong taper in the TE like the JW for torsional stiffness.

no clue on spars.. you should talk to spencer/Manor/Legerton or Lilly about that.. they would know for sure what's working.

im really into the idea of the ailerons live hinging into the wing like the Enigma DLG (pic below) i think it will help prevent flutter...

anyhow.. check it out.. change if you want... build... whatever, im just sharing..

JOe
KingOfTheHill is offline Find More Posts by KingOfTheHill