HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 09, 2006, 12:28 PM
Happy bluesman
Boca Raton, FL
Joined Jul 2006
468 Posts
Hi alfoot. May I ask you please to upload your video to rcgroups.com video section. I use Mozilla Firefox and it is not compatible with putfile.com. I'm dying to see your Gyro's movie. Thanks a lot
hrbeta is offline Find More Posts by hrbeta
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2006, 01:43 PM
Keep it simple
Salisbury,England
Joined Jan 2005
974 Posts
Hi,

Your wish is my command

I posted it here:-

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...64#post6194595

Al
alfoot is offline Find More Posts by alfoot
Old Nov 04, 2006, 12:29 PM
Keep it simple
Salisbury,England
Joined Jan 2005
974 Posts
It's been a fantastic windless and sunny Saturday in Wiltshire today, so I've explored a few more characteristics of the Minitwirl for those who might build it.

It rolls better than the larger Twirl, does huge loops, and, because of the 3 to 1 thrust to weight ratio, it can also do vertical slow rolls until it is a dot in the sky (not very high I grant you ).

I managed 17 minutes before I could feel the power declining a bit, so I'm pretty pleased with it.

Al
Old Nov 14, 2006, 05:50 AM
Coming home to Canada soon
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jan 2002
568 Posts
Al; I finally managed to get back into my workshop last night for an hour or so to try and finish off the mini twirl. I managed to mount the Breeze Block and hooked up to the control surfaces. Then I weighted the lot. The total weight (airframe, battery radio gear (no landing gear) wighs in at 45 grams (on my cheap Radio Shack scale). I hope this is not going to be too heavy. Bear in mind that this is my first attempt at micro R/C. I did find that my fingers and thumbs are way too big for this kind of building also my eyesight is not what it should be!

Mark.
Mark Winstanley is offline Find More Posts by Mark Winstanley
Old Nov 14, 2006, 06:42 AM
Keep it simple
Salisbury,England
Joined Jan 2005
974 Posts
Mark,

Glad that you've got it close to being ready to fly. Mine weighed 46 grams with undercarriage, so yours is lighter. I know what you mean about the small size of everything .

I hope that it goes OK when you fly it, so long as you don't over-control it should be fine. I have about 3/8 inches of movement on the rudder and elevator. Also, I did not need anything like full throttle.

How about posting some pics if you can?

Al
Old Nov 14, 2006, 11:55 AM
Happy bluesman
Boca Raton, FL
Joined Jul 2006
468 Posts
Thanks Al, I finally got back to see the video. That's a sweet flying machine you got there. Congrats.
hrbeta is offline Find More Posts by hrbeta
Old Nov 15, 2006, 04:06 AM
Coming home to Canada soon
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jan 2002
568 Posts
Al; I will see what I can do when I get home from work for photos.

I used nylon thread for a pull-pull system on the controls - it seems to work OK although there is not too much movement. Mounting the Breeze Block was interesting and I ended up removing a lot of fuselage foam so that the gear wheels did not bind.

I ran up the motor last night and the rotors turn in the prop wash. All I have to do now is mount the LiPo battery and risk a flight. I dont know whether to make the maiden flight in the basement or wait and pray for a calm day outside.

Mark.
Mark Winstanley is offline Find More Posts by Mark Winstanley
Old Nov 15, 2006, 06:46 AM
Keep it simple
Salisbury,England
Joined Jan 2005
974 Posts
Mark,

I'd wait for a good day rather than risk it indoors. It will cope with a reasonable wind OK (flown mine in 15 mph wind). Long grass to launch over is good too.

I'm not a great fan of the Falconmodels mounting systems, the individual servos have a tab at each end where you would think that you could use very small screws to attach the servo. Unfortunately, the lead to the receiver is smack in the middle of one of the tabs .

In the end, I just glued mine direct to the fuselage side - you can see this at the end of the movie I posted.

Good luck with the first flight.

Al
Old Nov 20, 2006, 12:19 AM
Micro Brushless crazy
India, Bangalore
Joined Jul 2002
1,012 Posts
Wow!! Neat stuff. I was just looking at the Mini Twirl plans this morning and I was resizing the plans for one of our Mighty Midget motors!! Very exciting! BTW, if the Airframe weighs just 10gms, then one of our smallest motors should do fine too, but then it'd become a strictly indoor, no wind flier. Lets see, Mighty Midget 10/3/26S, FR 130mah Lipo ( single cell ), 2 Falcon servos, YGE 4 ESC, Mount, Prop, RX would weigh in at around 18gms, so AUW can be reduced to just around 1oz!

-Uttam,
Mighty Midget motors,
http://www.microbrushless.com
Uttam1 is offline Find More Posts by Uttam1
Old Nov 20, 2006, 12:53 AM
Keep it simple
Salisbury,England
Joined Jan 2005
974 Posts
Uttam,

My Minitwirl uses one of your 8g motors (the 13/6/9). The smaller one would probably be more suited to the design and, as you say, the weight could be reduced to below 1 oz easily. That's a 20% weight reduction .

If you make a Minitwirl with your suggested equipment, please let us know how you get on here.

I wouldn't worry about it being an indoor model only, I've flown the Minitwirl in winds up to 15 mph and it was OK.

Al
Old Nov 20, 2006, 12:59 AM
Micro Brushless crazy
India, Bangalore
Joined Jul 2002
1,012 Posts
Hi Al,

Sounds like a plan! I've printed out plans just now. Just to be sure, the wing span would be 9.5" ? Any close ups of the rotor?

-Thanks!
Uttam
Old Nov 20, 2006, 01:28 AM
Keep it simple
Salisbury,England
Joined Jan 2005
974 Posts
Uttam,

You've got the wingspan right. Here are a couple of shots of the airframe during construction that show the rotor, and also one of the Twirl.

They are really easy to construct, just follow the instructions in the Twirl article. I used WD-40 tube for the rotor bearing and retaining bushes, and thin wire (22swg) for the rotor spindles - carbon rod would be lighter, I just didn't have any that fitted the WD-40 tube.

Al
Old Nov 20, 2006, 01:36 AM
Micro Brushless crazy
India, Bangalore
Joined Jul 2002
1,012 Posts
Hi Al, Tnx for the details. I have the plans printed and am headed to the shop now.....Will keep you updated.
Old Jan 03, 2007, 06:09 PM
urs
switzerland
Joined Dec 2000
718 Posts
even smaller..

I have been following the twirl saga since the begining as years ago I had a DB autogyro.

As its the indoor season at least here in switzerland I decided to build one and a small one at that. i used 2mm depron from a Nemises iplane shok flyer (old planes dont die , they just get recycaled)I prited out the original plan to half size and then again halved it. Its now ready for its maiden this weekend with a geared pager moter and micro radio (plantco) Ill weigh it and mesure it tomorrow as Im now of to bed.
Urs (switzerland)
urs is online now Find More Posts by urs
Old Jan 04, 2007, 12:48 AM
edi
Triplane addict
Elstertrebnitz, Germany
Joined Aug 2004
1,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrbeta
Hi alfoot. May I ask you please to upload your video to rcgroups.com video section. I use Mozilla Firefox and it is not compatible with putfile.com. I'm dying to see your Gyro's movie. Thanks a lot
I also use Firefox and I have no problems with mozilla. Feel free to PM me if you want to sort it out (you're obviously missing some plugin).
edi is offline Find More Posts by edi