HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 19, 2006, 11:50 AM
Slope Dog
The Gorge
Joined Mar 2002
794 Posts
Discussion
Leading Edge Leading Edge?

I started the spar for a LEG Hellcat last night and it got me to thinking about my last build with epp. I love the finished product but hate taping the leading edge of the wing. Have any of you guys used a basswood leading edge? Or maybe take it a step further and use a carbon rod? I am not worried about hitting a rock on landing or anything like that so I don't see why not. Should also add a little weight which isn't a bad thing either. I want to be able to keep up with Vic pumping half pipes next time I fly with him.
gorgeflyer is offline Find More Posts by gorgeflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 19, 2006, 12:12 PM
All work and no play
Lucas, KS
Joined Apr 2003
2,042 Posts
Dont see why it wouldnt work. DO IT!
legliderman is offline Find More Posts by legliderman
Old Sep 19, 2006, 12:32 PM
blah...
United States, OR, Bend
Joined Jun 2005
2,932 Posts
Should work great, but IMO, goes a "little" beyond the point of building a foamy.

I was thinking this same thing on my last build. I hate where the top and bottom tape layers meet. You can't get a SUPER clean line there so my idea next time is this...

Use a TON of thinned goop on the LE, tape the wing normally, and then where the tape meets at the LE run a bead of goop over it and smooth it down as clean as possible. Now put a piece of the 3" wide thin cheap masking tape to smooth it down till it tacks up.... Once it's mostly dry smooth it down with a rag soaked in Toluene...

Should be a bomb-proof, but pliable LE when need be...

Just an idea...

-Don
THUREN is offline Find More Posts by THUREN
Old Sep 19, 2006, 12:51 PM
Nucking Futs
Southern Killafornia
Joined Jan 2005
1,626 Posts
I figured a half dozen passes over the LE with some primer over the Solartex before paint would be enough buildup to get rid of that bump.

I'm done taping my P40 wing and will try that over the LE and the tips where I couldn't get it absolutely perfect.

We'll see how it comes out. RJ
I'm Rick James is offline Find More Posts by I'm Rick James
Old Sep 19, 2006, 02:29 PM
Southern California
Joined Sep 2003
6,901 Posts
The point of having an EPP plane is bouncibility without serious permanent damage. If you're going to put a hard leading edge on it--go composite!!!
IMHO
Timmig
timmig is offline Find More Posts by timmig
Old Sep 19, 2006, 02:30 PM
Slope Dog
The Gorge
Joined Mar 2002
794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by THUREN
Should work great, but IMO, goes a "little" beyond the point of building a foamy.

I was thinking this same thing on my last build. I hate where the top and bottom tape layers meet. You can't get a SUPER clean line there so my idea next time is this...

Use a TON of thinned goop on the LE, tape the wing normally, and then where the tape meets at the LE run a bead of goop over it and smooth it down as clean as possible. Now put a piece of the 3" wide thin cheap masking tape to smooth it down till it tacks up.... Once it's mostly dry smooth it down with a rag soaked in Toluene...

Should be a bomb-proof, but pliable LE when need be...

Just an idea...

-Don
The reason I am going down this path is I am lazy at heart. I am trying to get the best result with the least amount of work. I've had my fun with thinned goop and stinking up the house. I think this would make a very clean LE with very little effort. Off to the LHS for a gander at the basswood supply.
Old Sep 19, 2006, 02:32 PM
Slope Dog
The Gorge
Joined Mar 2002
794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmig
The point of having an EPP plane is bouncibility without serious permanent damage. If you're going to put a hard leading edge on it--go composite!!!
IMHO
Timmig
Ok, scatch that last post. Off to Fibreglass supply for some 6 oz carbon. Don't know how well it will stick to EPP though.
Old Sep 19, 2006, 02:42 PM
Southern California
Joined Sep 2003
6,901 Posts
Well it appears you want composite performance, and now are going to pay the composite price if you hit something. Why not just make the change and get the performance you seek?
T
timmig is offline Find More Posts by timmig
Old Sep 19, 2006, 02:56 PM
Chino Hills, CA
Joined Feb 2003
2,370 Posts
If you're thinking about laying up carbon on the leading edge, you should spackle it first otherwise the foam will drink epoxy.

Adrian
codezilla is offline Find More Posts by codezilla
Old Sep 19, 2006, 03:01 PM
blah...
United States, OR, Bend
Joined Jun 2005
2,932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorgeflyer
I think this would make a very clean LE with very little effort.
I guess it would be fairly easy if you can find the perfect piece of Bass...

If not, I don't know that shaping a Bass LE would be considered easy..
Old Sep 19, 2006, 03:02 PM
blah...
United States, OR, Bend
Joined Jun 2005
2,932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorgeflyer
I've had my fun with thinned goop and stinking up the house.
In the house????

I do it outside....
Old Sep 19, 2006, 03:17 PM
Slope Dog
The Gorge
Joined Mar 2002
794 Posts
[QUOTE=THUREN]I guess it would be fairly easy if you can find the perfect piece of Bass...

QUOTE]
I'm always on the lookout for the perfect piece of Bass!
I will most likely use Goop to attach this. That will give me good grip and still allow the foam to flex a little bit. I do use PU to hold the spars in though.
Old Sep 19, 2006, 09:22 PM
United States, OR, Tualatin
Joined Apr 2005
2,436 Posts
Pictures?

We would like to see how you do this leading edge.

Tom
TomFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TomFlyer
Old Sep 19, 2006, 10:21 PM
gas tires and oil
malad, idaho
Joined Dec 2004
2,434 Posts
my buddy ron used a carbon rod on the LE of his crossover. i did the normal tape thing and his crossover kicks mines butt! it is faster has a cool sound and all around flies better!
mine is bounce'able though!!
it is a cool mod,sometimes i kinda wish i had done it too,but not when i smack it!

marty
prplgoat is offline Find More Posts by prplgoat
Old Sep 20, 2006, 12:01 AM
__Jackass Savant__
United States, CA, Oxnard
Joined Feb 2005
2,505 Posts
Isn't that how TFLG does it with his cheap foam cutter? When he overhangs the templates at the LE and TE doesn't he have to rebuild the missing area with wood/whatever?

Boz

[attachment]171417[/attachment]
theBOZman is offline Find More Posts by theBOZman