Old Sep 19, 2006, 04:36 AM
flo
Near Munich Germany
Joined May 2003
971 Posts
Build Log
A6 Intruder - please comment

Hi all,
title says it i am quite down for a reason that might need some explanation.
To understand i feel need to tell the whole story:

Ok
Last summer me and buddy Robert decidet that we would like to build a composit plane. One that ether has not been build before (comercilally) or at least not at our projected sice. Otherwise we felt it would be a waste of effort.

So after some discussion we opted for the A6 Intruder but waited till the Aspach e-meet, to find out if someone might be building it already.
So almost exact a year ago i started to calculate and in december i started working on the plug.
Secretly we hoped to sell the moulds afterwards - in order to get some of the huge investment back. (Otherwise it is nearly impossible for me to go through the project)
This is one of the reasons i had not posted this project before. The other beeing that i felt i would not like to build preassure on myself on something that might not work out in the end. I felt the time to go public would be when the plugs are completed.

As usuall i went trough lots of mishapps but carried on, making compromises to true scale as little as possible but some could not be avoidet along the way.

As of today i am at a stage that the fuse is near completition only some minor surface defects are left to fill, then sanding and shooting a special fg-filler that will enable us to burn in thousands of rivets using a soldering iron.
Wings and tails are rough sandet but not yet ready for primer.

But today Robert (who is responsible for LG, wheelbrakes, cocpit, acl, and other gimmiks ) called and told me that JETMARTUSA have done an Intruder of exact our scale (1:9) and their moulds are already done !! No doubt their product will be a lot better beeing build by pros.

So - should we carry on?
Remember that there is still a lot of time and heaps of money to invest.

Should we simply dump it and order a barf? (i do not like that but it might turn out cheaper in the end and might be a lot less hassle along the way)

Please share your thougts.

greetings form munich

flo
flo is offline Find More Posts by flo
Last edited by flo; Aug 18, 2011 at 06:52 AM. Reason: bad english
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 19, 2006, 05:24 AM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,779 Posts
i say finish it and enjoy it! I learned long ago dont mix hobby with biz, it will bite you everytime. And coulda been worse you could have done it and spent more money, maybe even put a few out and someone either then copies, or just flat out splashes yours and sells it.

Oh yeah! and for quik and easy rivets without a gun just lay on a few extra coats of primer, then you can either press in a brass tube or the other side of a drill bit. I like drill bits cause you can swap sizes for different area's and its cold you you can sit in front of the TV while you spend hours doing it.

Barry
monkamarm2000 is offline Find More Posts by monkamarm2000
Old Sep 19, 2006, 05:52 AM
Mach 0.261 ... Hiccup of Wiggy
Wiggy Poo, England!
Joined Mar 2006
1,258 Posts
Guys, there are lots of F15's, F16's, and others out there all made by different companies. The market is big enough , for 2 Intruders...have no fear
How do you know yours will not be supperia to the other mobs? You dont do you? Your assuming again...

So, get back in the shop and finish what you have started, then when the aircraft is in the air you will be fully rewarded for your efforts, emotionaly if not financialy.

Then take some orders from your mates and get some money back.

Remember, just because its built by pro's does not mean it will automaticaly be to a higher standard.

Take a Positive Mental Attitude, dont focus on the opposition, and crack that baby out!

Best Wishes

Geo420
Geo420 is offline Find More Posts by Geo420
Old Sep 19, 2006, 06:09 AM
flo
Near Munich Germany
Joined May 2003
971 Posts
Thanks both of you
for your words of encouragement.
I did not intend to mix hobby and biz. Just felt like selling the moulds to some small scale mfg. would get me back some of my money.

True it is not yet proven that the other make is superior to mine. But looking at their other products...

Ok so at least mine will be - trully mine

guess i just needet some support.

If there is interest i will post on the progress.

greetings

flo
Old Sep 19, 2006, 06:12 AM
Trondheim, Norway
Joined Jun 2003
2,806 Posts
Flo,

As you surely know, the satisfaction of seeing and flying your own design outweighs any (b)arf you'll ever find! Can't be measured in money, so keep at it!

It's a nice reward if others want to buy one of your models/plans/kits.

If you're serious about going commercial, there surely is a market on the EU-side of the pond. Shipping this size bird across "the pond" will cost some serious money - both ways. So you have an advantage over the US "competition" on the EU-side (but yes, also a disadvantage selling "over there").

Just my 2-cents

The plug looks excellent btw!

Thomas
thomanie is offline Find More Posts by thomanie
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 19, 2006, 07:08 AM
flo
Near Munich Germany
Joined May 2003
971 Posts
Hi Thomas,
thanks for your input.
About going comercial:
I did not intend to mould and sell the plane myself for various reasons:
As a small scale buissness i would have to buy expensive and thus would earn little. (plug ain`t that good btw. to ask premium prices- lots of eyballing for example).
Aditionally i would need to spend my sparetime for this and thus could not carry on designing and building as much as i usually do.
Last but not least i would not like to devellop allergic reactions to fg.

So my train of thougt was: if it turns out well and there is interest i would sell the mould to someone willing to produce this (not after pulling a few for us incl. one pss-version of course )

I do totally agree with you about own desings - it is just that their plane is exactly our sice. At a different scale i would not mind that much. At a not so close inspecttion it seems like a waste of effort.

Guess i just overreacted a little this morning

greetings

flo
Old Sep 19, 2006, 07:25 AM
Trondheim, Norway
Joined Jun 2003
2,806 Posts
Flo, please continue to post updates as you go!

What size fans and setup did you plan for?

Thomas
thomanie is offline Find More Posts by thomanie
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 19, 2006, 07:48 AM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Aug 2002
1,230 Posts
Turn it into a Prowler

Turn it into a Prowler - EA6B
Section it through the canopy area and insert enough length to add the second seats and make it into a Prowler.
Nobody has one of those!
I feel your pain, but after all you are making it for yourself. You will have the pride of having accomplished something that others have dreamed about and few have completed.
Go for it.
Wade
Wade Joos is offline Find More Posts by Wade Joos
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 19, 2006, 08:01 AM
EDF Jet Jam May 2014
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
6,615 Posts
The Jet Mart kit started out as the Eric Mays model. I saw it fly once at Superman and it did not fly very well on ducted fan power. I think the main issue was avery high wing loading and low power output.
It is a beautiful airframe and if you like it you should build it!
Robert Belluomini is offline Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
Old Sep 19, 2006, 09:31 AM
flo
Near Munich Germany
Joined May 2003
971 Posts
Hi Wade and Agustapower
thanks for the encouragement.
Prowler? Nah funnylie i totally dislike it while i totally love the Intruder
Would be a nice solution though.

greetings

flo
Old Sep 19, 2006, 09:33 AM
flo
Near Munich Germany
Joined May 2003
971 Posts
Hi Thomas,
gotta run right now.
it is build for single 120mm Aeronaut fan.

later

flo
Old Sep 19, 2006, 10:25 AM
Florida
Joined Jun 2004
427 Posts
Hi flo,

I agree with the others who have posted. Finish it and fly it. The satisfaction, I have received from seeing some of my own designs flying has never been equaled by any other kits or arfs I have owned.

I have not been able to check our the JetMart kits lately. All they are showing is the Artes Jet line of engines.

Joe
flybd is offline Find More Posts by flybd
Old Sep 19, 2006, 11:06 AM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 1996
7,933 Posts
Well is the turbine model a single? Adapting that to EDF may be a pain, two 90mm fans might be easier and if yours is available it'd be even easier if it's already designed for twin EDF and the placement of components for proper balance will be known! Keep at it, looks good. Amazing how complex the fuselage of the full size bird is, the guy who designed it must have been a frustrated sculptor!
Ed Waldrep is offline Find More Posts by Ed Waldrep
Old Sep 19, 2006, 12:12 PM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,640 Posts
I build the things I like, if it works out there is always someone that wants it either as a custom one off or as a potential kit. Design it arround the power setup that you desire and keep to the plan. I have started a T-2A for 120mm and in side the next year it will be ready to view, and it if flies anything like the little microfan model I designed it will be fun. Stay with it.

Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX
Old Sep 19, 2006, 01:09 PM
SJ
Denmark EKCH
Joined Apr 2001
1,598 Posts
It looks fantastic Flo!

I would love to have an intruder for my turbine. Yours cirtinly has the size for it :-)
I agree, the prowler is so ugly!

Will you be selling a few of them ?

regards, Sonnich
Denmark.
SJ is offline Find More Posts by SJ