HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 18, 2002, 01:15 AM
Milpitas, CA
Joined Jun 2002
182 Posts
Question
Destiny

Well, it's been available for a while. Has anyone had any experience with the Destiny distributed by NSP?
Dood is online now Find More Posts by Dood
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2002, 09:52 PM
Sunnyvale, California, United States
Joined Jul 2000
1,790 Posts
Chauncey;

I checked out the Destiny and it sure looks like a great plane, but the Kulbitin is $20 dollars cheaper and has better write up from Sal. Hey! if want to do some 3D manuevers get the Kulbitin, the way you fly I know you will want something that will really perform. But I don't know if it is as well built as the Destiny.

Henry
hmhoshi is offline Find More Posts by hmhoshi
Last edited by hmhoshi; Aug 22, 2002 at 09:59 PM.
Old Aug 18, 2002, 10:09 PM
Milpitas, CA
Joined Jun 2002
182 Posts
Henry - I'm just curious about the Destiny. I've got a fleet of gliders that I'm happy with, but I'm always looking for a replacement in case disaster strikes. In this case, I'm looking for something that might replace my Bat Glider should it meet an untimely end. NSP no longer distributes this glider and I've been very happy with it. Basicly(sp?), I have my eyes open for a 53"-54" light weight intermediate sloper that will handle light to moderate winds. Again, I'm not seriously shopping, but I'm curious about what others have to say about the Destiny.

Chauncey
Old Aug 18, 2002, 10:18 PM
Sunnyvale, California, United States
Joined Jul 2000
1,790 Posts
Chauncey;

You have a whole fleet, would you ever consider selling any of your planes. That way you can get a new ship to replace it. Just a thought.

Henry
hmhoshi is offline Find More Posts by hmhoshi
Old Aug 18, 2002, 11:45 PM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,311 Posts
Consider the Mini Acacia then. 57", about 17 oz, and will work in both light and strong wind. Good DS plane too.

NSP has them on sale for $170 until Tuesday. You can't beat that. F3X.com sells them too.
bjaffee is online now Find More Posts by bjaffee
Old Aug 19, 2002, 01:15 AM
Milpitas, CA
Joined Jun 2002
182 Posts
Henry - Not really looking to sell. I like the ones I've got. But it never hurts to be on the look out for a replacement, especially if a plane you like is no longer available.

bjaffee - The Mini Acacia sounds like a good recommendation to keep in mind. I'm not currently in the market to buy, just curious about possible options.

Well, anyone have anything to say about the Destiny?
Old Aug 22, 2002, 05:56 PM
Davis, CA
Joined Aug 2002
14 Posts
Dood, don't give up on the Bat

I too have the Bat glider and just love it. I was concerned when NSP stopped carrying it, since I have fixed the tail boom a few too many times, if you know what I mean. Esprit now carries the Honey electric glider <http://216.188.92.163/~espritmodel.c...ner_honey.html>, same as the bat except for the fuse, should be good for spares if you want to keep the Bat in the air. Don't know about the Destiny, but I own a 60" Nemesis w/ flaps that is a lot faster, but requires stronger winds. When the nemesis won't fly, I get out the Bat. Have you played with the tail incidence yet? It is amazing how you can get the Bat screaming when you decrease the incidence. Even reflexing the wing just a little helps a lot.

Dave
Dave Bohling is offline Find More Posts by Dave Bohling
Old Aug 22, 2002, 09:26 PM
Milpitas, CA
Joined Jun 2002
182 Posts
Thanks Dave

Dave - Thanks for the input. I'm not giving up on the Bat Glider. I really like it. I just wanted to be prepared in case it gave up on ME! :-)

I thought the Destiny might be one to keep on my list, but now I think it may be too heavy and have too high a wing loading to be comparable to the Bat Glider.

Hmm... I'll have to check into the Honey. I didn't realize that it had so much in common with the Bat Glider. You're right, could be a good source of backup parts.

Please tell me more about changing the tail incidence: how and how much?
Old Aug 23, 2002, 01:21 PM
Davis, CA
Joined Aug 2002
14 Posts
Chauncey

The Honey is the electric version of the Bat glider, not sure why they are named differently. I have both, and they are identical except for the fuselage pod; same wing, carbon boom, and v-tail.

Tail incidence (or wing incidence, same thing on a glider?): The tail is difficult to change once glued to the boom. I experimented with reflexing the flaps about 1/8" - 3/16" and playing with the CG until it tracked well in a dive without wanting to tuck under or raise it's nose. I did this on a switch (3 position flap switch on my JR 8103) so that I could fly in standard trim and then switch to reflex about 3 mistakes high to try it out. I then shimmed the trailing edge of the wing up slightly less than the amount of reflex I felt comfortable with (I settled on 1/8" measured at the trailing edge). Be careful how you shim the wing; at first I just wedged some shims about one inch long on either side of the rear wing bolt, but when I tightened the wing down, it actually changed the airfoil, since the front wing bolt would tighten the front half of the wing to the wing saddle, and then the trailing edge of the wing would bend upward due to the shims, distorting the airfoil. You need to support the wing along it's entire chord. I plan on making a microbaloon/epoxy wedge that will fit the entire wing saddle, providing support along the bottom of the wing where it mounts to the saddle.

Currently, my bat fuselage is in two pieces, broken where the boom attaches to the pod. I have repaired the boom before by wrapping with carbon fiber tow saturated with CA. I will probably just fix it again the same way, but will eventually have to get a replacement boom from Esprit.

The Destiny will likely have a wing loading similar to my Nemesis, meaning it won't float in light air like the Bat. It is a shame there are not more gliders like the Bat. However, I did see a Mini-Ellipse fly at Los Banos in light lift, and I was very impressed. Looked like it flew more like the Bat rather than the Nemesis, but should be able to really scream with ballast. CHeck it out, pricey but high quality. <http://www.aero-model.com/planes/jar...lipse/main.htm>

Dave
Dave Bohling is offline Find More Posts by Dave Bohling
Last edited by Dave Bohling; Aug 23, 2002 at 01:50 PM.
Old Aug 23, 2002, 09:42 PM
Milpitas, CA
Joined Jun 2002
182 Posts
Dave - Now I get it!

I thought you were talking about changing the v-tail incidence. I'll have to try experimenting with the wing incidence and see what kind of effects I get. I guess the Mini-Ellipse should go on my backup list as well, though I really like the shorter wingspan of the Bat.

I've got a flapped Nemsis waiting for installation of the radio gear. But I'm in no hurry while I'm getting to know my Prodij and trying to finish my RC Gull.

Good luck with your fuse repairs.
Old Nov 29, 2002, 07:49 PM
Milpitas, CA
Joined Jun 2002
182 Posts
Update and Thanks to Dave Bohling

Well, I ordered a Destiny about a month ago and sent it back to NSP because I didn't care for the materials used in construction (similar to the Mini-Salto). The hinges seemed a bit weak to me and the whole thing had this "plastic" kind of look.

However, thanks to Dave Bohling, I was able to order another Bat Glider from Esprit Models. Although they don't normally carry this plane, when I indicated that I had been told that the Bat was a non-powered Honey (they do sell the Honey), they looked into it and ordered one for me. Unfortunately, it took over two months, but it finally arrived today and I now have a backup for my first Bat - which is how this whole topic came into being in the first place.

Thanks, Dave!