HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 17, 2002, 10:07 PM
Richmond, VA
Joined Apr 2002
993 Posts
Which sport flyer?

I'm looking for a sport plane to compliment my Radical Edge 540.
The X 250 looks like a great plane and the 36" wingspan is about what I'm looking for. The Nesail Accord II looks like another pretty good option along with the Wattage Crazy 8. I'm looking for a durable plane that doesn't need to have a perfect 3-point landing. Interested in a Mega upgrade for 3D flight. The Switchback gets nothing but rave reviews and it's sister ship that's coming out (if they can ever decide a name) looks very promising! The 3D mini laser is yet another choice. What to select... Are they all good choices? What do you like?
Parkflyer is offline Find More Posts by Parkflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2002, 10:13 AM
Richmond, VA
Joined Apr 2002
993 Posts
Opinions anyone?
Old Aug 18, 2002, 11:02 AM
Tork it or Dork it
Elizabethville,PA USA
Joined Jul 2000
2,198 Posts
I don't have experience with the Accord, but have experience with the other planes you mentioned. The X250 is a kit, but its easy to built and don't take that well. They are durable for made out of wood. The leading edge on it is a carbon fiber boom which makes the wing hard the break. It flies good on the stock system. I used to have a 450T on 8cells, but not I'm using the stock gearbox with a Permax 480 and the 10x500 battery pack.
The Crazy 8 is another good flyer. Mine has a Axeox 1003 2y with a 3:1 gearbox. They are somewhat strong and fly really well. If you have the right motor in it they will be 3D. Mine will be good for 3D.
I have a Mini Laser 3D with a geared HackerB20 in it. It flies very well and will do anything 3D with that motor. I use a 10x600ae with it. You just have to "beaf up" the landing gear a little bit. This plane isn't as stong as the other ones, but its the lightest of them. They all fly good, have fun picking the sport plane
Ryan Nau is offline Find More Posts by Ryan Nau
Old Aug 18, 2002, 12:01 PM
Richmond, VA
Joined Apr 2002
993 Posts
Ryan,

Thanks for the reply! It sounds like they all would be a good choice. What did you mean by "The X250 is a kit, but its easy to built and don't take that well"? Are the batteries easy to fit in all the planes? Do they all take flat packs?

thanks again,

Parkflyer
Old Aug 18, 2002, 12:05 PM
Richmond, VA
Joined Apr 2002
993 Posts
Opinions anyone?
Old Aug 18, 2002, 12:53 PM
Tork it or Dork it
Elizabethville,PA USA
Joined Jul 2000
2,198 Posts
I meant to say that it don't take long to built. I guess I was in to big of a hurry typing. Yeah the battery packs are easy to fit in.
The Mini Laser 3d takes flat packs. The Crazy8 can take a lot of different configurations, and the X250 can either of flat or 2 rows of 5 standing up configuration. So yeah, they can all take flat packs.
Ryan Nau is offline Find More Posts by Ryan Nau
Old Aug 19, 2002, 10:34 AM
Mountain Models Wannabe
Ithaca, NY USA
Joined Mar 2001
4,370 Posts
Parkflyer, I think more to the point is how you want your new plane to compliment your RE540. Dave did a great job in designing a small, very light aerobatic plane. When I set out to design the Switchback, I was targeting the same weight but changed my mind partway into development and compromised a little for durability. I ended up with a solid plane that flies well stock and screams with a Hacker but won't get the same performance as the 540 due to the added weight. It is a little over an ounce heavier than the 540.

My new plane, the Flashback, is heavier and has much more power so needs a larger area to fly. Keep in mind that I've flown the Switchback indoors - a very large indoor. Two soccer fields should do for the Flashback, less it you are a good pilot. Me, I need room to think. I spend more time building than flying.

Doug
CoClimber is offline Find More Posts by CoClimber
Old Aug 19, 2002, 05:22 PM
Richmond, VA
Joined Apr 2002
993 Posts
Doug,

As much as I like the Radical Edge 540, the fuselage is flimsy and I cannot fly it with a knife edge, it wants to tuck towards the belly. I have learned how to hover pretty well with it although I still do it about 20-50 feet off the deck. It is my favorite plane but I am partial to balsa planes that are a little more durable and look more like planes. I want another plane that will hover, knife edge and all the usual aerobatics. There is something very cool about taking off and going vertical.

I thought it would be some time before you were ready to release your plane but it sounds like you may be close. It looks very nice. I would like about a 36" wingspan that will land fairly slowly as my goal is to land on a baseball diamond instead of the grass outfield. My packs on hand are 600 maH AE flatpacks although it looks like I will be switching to the 1100 NiMh 2/3 AA I've been reading so much about.

I hope the Flashback will use flat packs as well.

Parkflyer
Old Aug 20, 2002, 10:53 AM
Mountain Models Wannabe
Ithaca, NY USA
Joined Mar 2001
4,370 Posts
Parkflyer,

I hope to have the Flashback done before the NEAT fair. I've been fiddling with the tail configuration, etc. for better knife edge so it's not quite ready for prime time.

The battery compartment is huge to allow a large selection of batteries to be used.

It is pretty cool to have a short takeoff roll then point it straight up.

Doug
CoClimber is offline Find More Posts by CoClimber