Suspended Account
Russian Federation, Sakha, Yakutsk
Joined May 2006
2,978 Posts
Build Log
MM GliderTech Marauder Build Log 2006

Here it is, the new for 2006 Joint Frogchief / LVsoaring Marauder build log:

http://www.mmglidertech.com/marauder.html

Stay tuned for thrills, chills and spills as a former Touring Car racer fumbles his way through building his first plane in over 7 years...

"The tail bone is connected to the...umm, dogbone???"

Gasp at the sheer amount of lumber, gawk at the awsome wingspan and prepare yourself for wanton digit mutilation via #11 blade. YOU WILL NEVER BE THE SAME!!!

Ok...enough of that, anyhow I'm AWFULLY PLEASED with this product so far. Merrill packed the kit very tight, with paper to protect everything internally plus the outside was double wrapped in brown shipping paper. The hardware package is VERY complete and all the wood is top notch. (*and its ALOT of wood )

Honestly, thus far I have to say that for what you get the MM Glider Tech Marauder is an outstanding value at less than $120. Merrill could probably sell these for double and I'd feel it would still be fair.

I'm sweeping the garage and stocking up on beer, prepare for wood mutilating carnage!

Alright LV, your turn.

-Sean
FrogChief is offline Find More Posts by FrogChief
Last edited by FrogChief; Sep 23, 2006 at 02:38 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2006, 07:03 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2006
2,978 Posts
Man...such a buzzkill:

I've been like a kid on Christmas all day, so naturally I was excited to show my wife the kit and plans when she got home. I pulled out the plan sheet for the fuselage to show her just how big this sucker is gonna be, all she said was:

"It looks like a plane...Good for you."

Women...
Last edited by FrogChief; Sep 19, 2006 at 02:25 AM.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 07:21 PM
No drugs to fly high
Toronto, Canada
Joined Jan 2004
764 Posts
Will be interesting to follow. Photos, photos, photos!!!!!
oracle_9 is offline Find More Posts by oracle_9
Old Sep 19, 2006, 01:00 AM
Joined Mar 2003
3,032 Posts
I was in Merrils garage yesteday and he had 5 Marauder fuselages built and glassed. I guess a fellow flier and his son are going to create a fleet of these bad boys. Seeing them ALMOST made me consider buiding a woody again. Luckily, Merrill was sold out.

Have fun with the build - they fly and land great!

Clay
ClayH is offline Find More Posts by ClayH
Old Sep 20, 2006, 12:44 AM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2006
2,978 Posts
Progress...

Ya know...its funny...

You buy a $100 kit and then the REAL costs smack you right upside the head. After abandoning RC planes years ago, I moved alot and left most of my stuff at my Dad's place. Well suffice to say, most of my tools were gone / mangled or just rusted with age. Also my special building table has been rotting in his shed since 1997. So after visiting Lowes, Office Max, etc and cleaning up my garage, I've created pretty respectable workshop.

Damages:

Framed Door $35.00
Plastic folding table $45.00
Foam sheet $13.00
Drafting chair $59.99
Storage cubby $9.00

I won't even go into my $160.00 order from Tower for tools alone.

Tomorrow should be day one of project Marauder...
Last edited by FrogChief; Sep 23, 2006 at 02:39 AM.
Old Sep 20, 2006, 11:01 AM
jrerickson
Valencia, CA
Joined Jan 2005
824 Posts
Merril's been flying his Marauder for years with top and bottom spoilers. It lands very well with no elevator compensation. I don't think a CD has ever stopped him from flying in the RES class but if you had someone who was holding to the rules the bottom spoiler wouldn't be allowed.

If you're going to fly it recreationally I'd definitely put in the bottom spoiler; if you're going to fly it in RES contests...just a head's up.

John
jrerickson is offline Find More Posts by jrerickson
Old Sep 20, 2006, 11:12 AM
Turn down for what?
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
14,406 Posts
My understanding is Merrill had a simple way to temporarily disable the bottom spoilers. That way, if a RES CD complained (BTW, it would be nice to ALWAYS confirm with the CD before flying) you can turn the bottom spoilers off but for a regular "unlmited" contest you could have them.

Ryan
rdwoebke is offline Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Sep 20, 2006, 11:23 AM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2006
2,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrerickson
Merril's been flying his Marauder for years with top and bottom spoilers. It lands very well with no elevator compensation. I don't think a CD has ever stopped him from flying in the RES class but if you had someone who was holding to the rules the bottom spoiler wouldn't be allowed.

If you're going to fly it recreationally I'd definitely put in the bottom spoiler; if you're going to fly it in RES contests...just a head's up.

John
First and foremost, thanks for the advice. The following is not really related to what you've said, more of a small rant with the standing rules for RES competition:

While I primarily intend to fly this bird recreationally, I will be attending Ray Hayes' woodcrafters fly-in / competition. I'm sure they'll be a bit more slack than an "offical" event.

If I DO enter the Marauder in a sanctioned RES competition at a later date, I'll tape the bottoms if they really make a fuss about it. However I'd argue the letter of the law down to the punctuation marks, as RES simply means that the ship should be turned by rudder only and have apparatus that enables it to slow down / spoil lift. By that definition the Marauder is 110% a-ok.

Besides, who says spoilers need to be on top of the wing only??? You could have a clean wing and a HUGE airbrake like an F-15 and it would still technically be a RES aircraft.

I really believe that the RES class exists to differentiate aircraft with trailing edge control surfaces from both di and polyhedral rudder steerage ships. However if one was so inclined, one could rig up a servo per-spoiler and mix some spoiler with rudder to create an aileron effect. (If the spoiler was outboard enough)
Last edited by FrogChief; Oct 09, 2006 at 12:31 AM.
Old Sep 20, 2006, 11:34 AM
Turn down for what?
Joined Feb 2004
14,406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogChief

Besides, who says spoilers need to be on top of the wing only???
Err... The rules... The rules are the people that say that.

Look at class 460, rule 3.1.6.c.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/comp/05.../RCsoaring.pdf

The thought is that spoilers should only spoil lift. Bottom actuated spoilers *could* function as split flaps and at slight deflections have a lift increasing effect similar to flaps.

I say put the spoilers in like the plans, just be sure to disable the bottom part if you are required to. Have the best of both worlds!

Quote:
However if one was so inclined, one could rig up a servo per-spoiler and mix some spoiler with rudder to create an aileron effect. (If the spoiler was outboard enough)
Actually, you can't do that either, per 3.1.6.c.

Ryan
Old Sep 20, 2006, 12:50 PM
jrerickson
Valencia, CA
Joined Jan 2005
824 Posts
This "turning off the bottom spoilers" is fine as long as you have two programs on your radio, one for top and bottom and one for top only mixed to elevator. You'll be surprised how much up elevator is required when you throw full spoiler.

That's the beauty of the top and bottom spoiler, the elevator can function as it does normally and the plane has a glide path more similar to a flapped plane.

Right before the advent of the computer radio and mixing the designs tended to be very advanced mechanically (read prone to malfunction). There were sliding trays, double bellcranks, all sorts of creative linkage set ups. The split spoiler was used a lot.

I say build it like you want but be prepared to have to tape the spoilers shut if you don't want to make a scene at a contest. If it's a fun fly nobody is ever going to notice. Besides, in a crosswind landing the spoilers are the least of your worries. This is the one area an aileron ship has an advantage.

John
jrerickson is offline Find More Posts by jrerickson
Old Sep 20, 2006, 12:59 PM
Turn down for what?
Joined Feb 2004
14,406 Posts
John has a good point there about the 2 programs. But, that is easy to do. Just go out and fly your Marauder with the top and bottom spoilers and get it all dialed in. Then copy that program to a spare slot and then start working on the spoiler/elevator mix on the top only spoiler program. Easy.

Ryan
Old Sep 20, 2006, 02:11 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2006
2,978 Posts
Finished my building table after school today. The foamboard started to seperate from the door, so I re-juiced it with 3M #77, added another layer of foamboard and laminated the whole thing with Scotch Packing tape. It cost me a bit of coin, but I'm pretty happy with my new jumbo building board.

I'm heading out for my run, construction begins in a couple hours.
Last edited by FrogChief; Sep 23, 2006 at 02:39 AM.
Old Sep 20, 2006, 06:37 PM
Unrepentant Paragon addict
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,530 Posts
Late to the party, but here I am...Taaaa Daaaa! The other half of the joint Frog Chief/LV Soaring Marauder build log. Sad to say I have not had the opportunity to start cutting/sawing/gluing wood yet, and alas, won't be able to until sometime next week, but to echo Frog's comments, when the kit arrived and was opened, I couldn't have been more pleased. It's packed very well, the wood quality is top notch, and the plans are great.

In regards to the comments about the spoilers, I have talked to Merrill about this, and the thought is that the rule was written to disallow split-flap/dive brake set-ups. Apparently it is left to the CD to allow or disallow top and bottom spoilers, and according to Merrill, rarely to they disallow the bottom ones.

Frog, you got a good start on the thread, keep it going and I'll try to catch up next week!

Cheers!

Rick
LVsoaring is offline Find More Posts by LVsoaring
Old Sep 20, 2006, 06:38 PM
Unrepentant Paragon addict
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,530 Posts
Quote:
Ya know...its funny...

You buy a $100 kit and then the REAL costs smack you right upside the head. After abandoning RC planes years ago, I moved alot and left most of my stuff at my Dad's place. Well suffice to say, most of my tools were gone / mangled or just rusted with age. Also my special building table has been rotting in his shed since 1997. So after visiting Lowes, Office Max, etc and cleaning up my garage, I've created pretty respectable workshop.

Damages:

Framed Door $35.00
Plastic folding table $45.00
Foam sheet $13.00
Drafting chair $59.99
Storage cubby $9.00

I won't even go into my $160.00 order from Tower for tools alone.

Tomorrow should be day one of project Marauder...

You forgot the last line.... "Joy of building a Marauder....Priceless!"
LVsoaring is offline Find More Posts by LVsoaring
Old Sep 20, 2006, 07:03 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2006
2,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVsoaring
Late to the party, but here I am...Taaaa Daaaa! The other half of the joint Frog Chief/LV Soaring Marauder build log. Sad to say I have not had the opportunity to start cutting/sawing/gluing wood yet, and alas, won't be able to until sometime next week, but to echo Frog's comments, when the kit arrived and was opened, I couldn't have been more pleased. It's packed very well, the wood quality is top notch, and the plans are great.

In regards to the comments about the spoilers, I have talked to Merrill about this, and the thought is that the rule was written to disallow split-flap/dive brake set-ups. Apparently it is left to the CD to allow or disallow top and bottom spoilers, and according to Merrill, rarely to they disallow the bottom ones.

Frog, you got a good start on the thread, keep it going and I'll try to catch up next week!

Cheers!

Rick
Awsome...

Good to see ya here LV, I almost thought you were M.I.A. ! I'm gonna get some Fuse stuff started tonight, after taking my lady out for a nice supper (and hopefully dessert ).

-Sean