Suspended Account
Grove City PA basement/park
Joined Feb 2005
4,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomberguy
Terrific job! You make it look easy Ron
He sure does.

I've gotten the foam sculpting thing down pretty well. Its the canopies that were a problem. I was cutting sections from canopies, and using sheet plastic, to attempt to form custom glass. Now that I found out how easy it is to heat form canopy sections over a balsa sculpted mold, it really opens the door to making good looking scratch builds. I've been heating sheet with a heat gun, using gloves, and then quickly stretching it over the mold. No complicated equipment needed.

I see that there are nice molded parts available. I'd go that route, but since they are not always available, my recent goal is leaning how to make better detail parts from scratch.

Looking a Keith's build, it the glass that really makes it. If it had that "painted on window" look, it would not be the same thing. The B-25 really looks nice with that cocpit detail. Looks production Keith.

Bill
scratchandbash is offline Find More Posts by scratchandbash
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2006, 10:17 AM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,514 Posts
cowl

Thanks Bill I worked my way through college forming / building Helicopter parts.
After I built my Vacuform machine the doors blew wide open and the learning started.

I thought I would post the way I detailed the cowl.
First I cut some bristles from the family broom. Cut them to length and melted the ends to form a ball.
I used CA to bond a drill bit into the end of a tiny dowel rod and went to work on the cowl.
Don't use a drill motor, the dowel rod allows you make your holes at a sharper angle. ( the chuck will get in the way.
From there all you do is slip them into the holes and apply CA to the melted end of the bristle.

The nose art came from . . . . http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=359029
Shop around there is plenty to choose from.
sparks is offline Find More Posts by sparks
Old Oct 03, 2006, 05:22 PM
fort worth
Joined Aug 2005
236 Posts
nice work on the cowls and thanks for the side machine guns i already mounted them and they look great! got some more work on mine done i put in the landing gear blocks and made some extended servo leads for the ailerons and the speed controls. i also put the alum tubes in the nose to hold the eight guns there. i also have the tail gunner installed and the canopy on. its really comeing along now.hope to have pics soon.
ron s is offline Find More Posts by ron s
Old Oct 03, 2006, 08:11 PM
ARF Hater Club
Toronto, Ontario
Joined May 2004
2,660 Posts
I just found my winter project!!
Looks like I'll be getting the book, the free plans, and the plastics. I'm not totally sure yet but I've been waiting to find something to build this winter. How hard/$$ is it to build a hot wire bow? that is used to cut the foam? I have some misc. power supplies and dimmer switches laying around..
tommyeflight89 is offline Find More Posts by tommyeflight89
Old Oct 03, 2006, 09:26 PM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Aug 2002
1,229 Posts
In the book

There are complete instructions in the book for all phases of a foam type build, from layout to cutting and finishing. Keith also included sections on how to build the tools (wire bow etc) necessary to get you started in the "foam aircraft" area if this great hobby.
He did everything he could imagine to make the tools and the processes as inexpensive as possible.
If you are thinking on getting started from the ground up, you couldn't start any place better than with Keith’s book and one of his projects.

Later
Wade
Wade Joos is offline Find More Posts by Wade Joos
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 04, 2006, 12:54 PM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,514 Posts
Thanks Wade.
Depending on you resourcefulness you can get started very cheap.
I used a $15 Battery charger and a piece of .020 stainless safety wire.
All you need is 10 amps of power If you decide to use a automotive charger be aware that the new ones have a safety feature that prevents shorts.
The wire. . . The exotic stuff works good without question. but breaks just as often as the wire I use. on the up side it will cut a narrower path and produce less fumes.
The last time I priced Nichrome it was about $1 per foot.
Stainless safety wire is $10 per pound and is widely available through home built aircraft suppliers.

This model is a good beginners aircraft because of the limited shaping that has to be done.
Just a little at the nose and those nacelles I mentioned before.
The scale size of the tires (3 inches) makes grass fields a piece of cake.
If you get stuck post it here and I'll try to get you through it.
Chances are I've been there and done that.
Keep in mind it is a different way to scratch build for most of you and you will be learning from your mistakes. That's why I wrote the book, maybe the title should have been 15 years of mistakes to be avoided.
Old Oct 04, 2006, 02:38 PM
Salt Lake City Utah
Joined Mar 2004
3,289 Posts
Great looking B25, You sure make them look like they fiberglass and not foam.

Cheers--Stacker
stacker is offline Find More Posts by stacker
Old Oct 04, 2006, 04:06 PM
ARF Hater Club
Toronto, Ontario
Joined May 2004
2,660 Posts
Looks great. Can't wait for more pics.
Old Oct 04, 2006, 05:55 PM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Aug 2002
1,229 Posts
Another source for stainless steel wire is your local fishing & tackle supply store.
Wade Joos is offline Find More Posts by Wade Joos
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 04, 2006, 06:06 PM
ARF Hater Club
Toronto, Ontario
Joined May 2004
2,660 Posts
Two more quick questions:
1) How long does shipping take for the book to come to Canada. I would order it from your website with credit card. Would I get dinged with sales tax too?
2) Is belly landing this big bird an option? I fly from a park and don't have a really good runway, so I prefer to belly land all of my birds.
Old Oct 05, 2006, 06:40 AM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,514 Posts
gear ?

My paypal account only snatches taxes from Texans.

I have done a few belly landers with foam. The grass here in Texas is hard on a fuselage.
Even the grass here is big. Its more like soft sticks in the open fields but on grass that has been cared for it is like any where else.
Soft grass . . .the first ply on the belly should be .75 oz. cloth followed with two ply's of .5 minimum.

If you overlap your plys at the belly and cover the model with two plys of .5 this will give you 4 ply at the belly but the base should still be .75. don't be to concerned with the weight of the cloth because you will be saving a bunch of weight without the gear.
Old Oct 05, 2006, 07:59 AM
Joined Apr 2004
68 Posts
Morning Keith - The box of parts and book came on Monday, delivery service was so fast I fell off my chair.
Question - When I try to blow up the 3 views to 52" the outlines become worse than blocky. Is there something that I am doing wrong.
RobertV is offline Find More Posts by RobertV
Old Oct 05, 2006, 09:45 PM
Joined Sep 2003
1,180 Posts
NICE !!!!!!!!!!!!! I can vouch for Keiths Canopies and Vac plastic parts.. he did the tip tanks for M Rittingers B-26K.. VERY easy to work with!
(thanks again Keith!!)
gearup is offline Find More Posts by gearup
Old Oct 06, 2006, 12:00 AM
Vintage Flyer
Indiana
Joined Jan 2005
1,674 Posts
Hey there Sparks!
I bought a copy of your book on building with foam.
GREAT BOOK!!!!
Anyone who hasn't a copy of this book is MISSING OUT!!!
Very informative, and opens up a whole new world into model building!!!!

Thanks again!
Ed
Ercoupe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Ercoupe Ed