SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 17, 2006, 02:51 AM
S.E Queensland Australia
Joined Jan 2006
704 Posts
Discussion
Secret flying areas in South East QLD???

Hi all.

I'm trying to find some decent places to fly in my local area. (Especially some larger safe areas for specking my 2mtr gliders). I live at Edens Landing, which is about halfway between the Gold Coast and Brisbane, and would like to hear about any flying areas, slope or flat field in the Gold Coast to Brisbane area, that don't require you to join a club to use. Not that I have anything against clubs. They just don't fit the budget at this time.

As I'm a lone flyer, and not a member of any club, good sites can be a bit hard to find. I'm hoping some of you guys would be willing to share any good areas you know of to fly.

I do know of one very good secret area for electric models and gliders in the Logan area, but unfortunately i can't share that at this time, as it could get me in serious trouble.

Otherwise, I'll see if I can get some Google earth images of any others I know and post here.

For starters, there is of course the two most well known and awesome slope sights in S.E Qld - Beechmont, and Tamborine Mountain, although they are a hassle to get to.

Tamborine is for Westerlies and Beechmont is for Southerlies to Easterlies. There is some amazing lift to be had at both of these sites. Landing area at Beechmont is just the slope as in the pic below, but at Tamborine you have a small area, plus I am told, people land in the private property field back over the road behind it. I only tryed that once in a very heavy wind with a heavy 2mtr Grob 109 and nearly when straight through the roof of the giant greenhouse thing thats there.

Paul
Tailgunner1 is offline Find More Posts by Tailgunner1
Last edited by Tailgunner1; Sep 18, 2006 at 10:26 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 17, 2006, 03:15 AM
S.E Queensland Australia
Joined Jan 2006
704 Posts
Two other places that I occasionally go to, are 1) the small cliff/rocky outcrop at Miami Beach on the Gold Coast. This is for Northerlies, and you can get some surprising lift on that little area. The problems are that you have to land down on the beach, and also, that that beach can get a bit too busy and people love sunbaking up against the cliff face. (Good place for the AP guys )

and 2) Up the spit on the Gold Coast. During the week and not in tourist season, (even during the tourist season, because most tourists want to go to the packed tourist beaches ) very few people use this area of beach, and its heaps away from buildings etc. I occasionally fly my electric wings there, although its best to do it at low tide, when there is some nice hard sand to land on. On the other side where the Broadwater is, I also fly sometimes. I dropped one of my wings in the Broadwater there, due to a prop coming loose. It didn't work, so I took it home, washed the GWS 6 channel receiver in the sink, let it dry, put it back together, and have never had a problem with it since, except a little saltwater corrosion on a deans plug.

The real problems with both of these areas, are firstly the obvious - sand!. Second, I am not quite sure if it would be legal at either, considering full size aircraft are allowed down to 500 ft along the coast. I have had police beach patrols driving down the beach, watching me fly and say nothing (??). Anyway, I keep a very good lookout and always come right down low when full size traffic is passing. I also, don't go up over a couple of hundred feet in either area.
Last edited by Tailgunner1; Sep 18, 2006 at 10:41 AM.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 05:37 AM
Brisbane
Joined Feb 2006
137 Posts
A group of us fly at white hill reserve in camp hill that is quite good early in the morning before the wind, cricketers or footballers depending on the time of the year. still plenty of room for all. Their are also 2 areas under development down lytton rd at hemmant that are still treeless and buildingless that I have yet to try.

Tony
tmichel is offline Find More Posts by tmichel
Old Sep 18, 2006, 05:59 AM
S.E Queensland Australia
Joined Jan 2006
704 Posts
Thanks Tony,
I'll have to get the map out and see how far away that is.

Another spot I sometimes throw up a wing, is the big park at the end of the road near Logan hospital (forget what its called).

There are two football fields at the end of that road, and then a huge park, although there are trees, other obstacles, and there's no ROG area, unless ya have some huge wheels for that grass. Its probably only good for wings and foamies - deffinately only electric.

Iv never seen anybody else flying there. (although I don't go there that much)

Paul
Old Sep 18, 2006, 10:25 AM
S.E Queensland Australia
Joined Jan 2006
704 Posts
I also forgot to mention the park at the end of the Gold Coast spit before.

Fine for Wings/foamies, park flyers.

However, beware that there is a lot of air traffic in this area, eg, Tigermoths and other small planes flying up and down the coast, seaplanes in the Broadwater, and choppers taking off from Seaworld and elsewhere. You definitely want to stay low if youíre going to fly in this area.

Obviously wind can be a problem in this area too.

Unfortunately the Gold Coast City Council are intending to destroy this beautiful spot, by building a cruise liner terminal or something. (B#*S#@DS)
Last edited by Tailgunner1; Sep 18, 2006 at 10:39 AM.
Old Sep 20, 2006, 02:01 AM
Flying for the fun of it
Brisbane
Joined Sep 2005
283 Posts
Is mount tamborine a good place for a sloper who has never sloped before?

I have an easyglider electric, and were thinking about sloping it - I have done it on realflight g3, but never in real life.

BTW, I live in brisbane.

Beep.
beep684 is offline Find More Posts by beep684
Old Sep 20, 2006, 02:28 AM
S.E Queensland Australia
Joined Jan 2006
704 Posts
Beep,

Mount Tamborine is an absolutely fantastic place to slope, and very scenic which means it draws bus loads of tourists, and its also where hang gliders take off from, so the airspace can become quite busy.

If you can already fly your glider proficiently, you will have no problems there. If you don't know how to fly, don't even think about throwing your glider off there or you will never see it again.

About 10 years ago, I lost a scale built up P51 due to there not being enough lift. It was actually in the top of a huge tree down the slope. I spent 4 hours trying to find a way to get it from the top of that tree. In the end the sun was going down, and I clamped myself onto that tree and somehow got to near the top to shake it out. To this day, I don't know how I got that superhuman strength, because thatís what it bloodywell required to latch onto the tree which had no branches to climb near the bottom of it Although the day got worse, because when I finally scrambled back up the slope I find that my half hidden in the grass transmitter had been nicked

Anyway, if youíre going to fly there, you need to make sure there is a Westerly wind blowing before you go all the way up there. Also, the wind can get VERY strong there, so don't think about throwing your glider up if its too strong, and you have never sloped. Maybe better to go up there in the morning when the wind isnít usually as strong, and grab some lunch or something while waiting for it. A lost model alarm is very handy there too, although I havenít used one. However I have spent ages on several occasions looking for models in the long grass down below. Youíre also better off going during the week when if youíre lucky, there will be no hang gliders around. The last thing you want to do is knock one of those guys on the head up there. They can get upset if you hog their airspace, although they can be very helpful finding your lost model too

I don't get up there that much because its just such a hassle to get there, and then you have to hope the wind is right. But one thing is for sure, You wont be disappointed with that spot if it is right! There is nothing like it near Brisbane. (that I know of) I'll see if I can find a photo and post it.

Paul
Old Sep 20, 2006, 03:03 AM
S.E Queensland Australia
Joined Jan 2006
704 Posts
These are the only pics I can find of Tamborine, but it is even better than it looks
Old Sep 20, 2006, 03:07 AM
It's a trap!
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Feb 2006
3,143 Posts
Hey beep684, if your lat/long is accurate then you are just down the road from me (possibly literally lol). You can slope over at Shorncliffe (about 5 mins from here), but it's a tad rough so I don't know if you'd want to bring a glider. It's definitely foamie country.
GotrekGurnisson is offline Find More Posts by GotrekGurnisson
Old Oct 18, 2006, 07:02 AM
Serbia Moderator
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2006
785 Posts
Hi Tailgunner1,

I live in Edens Landing too. I usually fly my gliders and electrics on a public oval in Beenleigh. Maybe we can sometimes go together.

Cheers, Miroslav
molenjin@gmail.com
molenjin is offline Find More Posts by molenjin
Old Oct 18, 2006, 08:46 AM
S.E Queensland Australia
Joined Jan 2006
704 Posts
Sure Miroslav, I have a few issues keeping me from flying right now, but once I get it sorted out, we'll have to catch up for a fly.

Are you talking about one of these ovals?
Old Oct 18, 2006, 11:33 PM
Serbia Moderator
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2006
785 Posts
Cool mate.. Yeah, the one on the left - "Bill Norris" public oval, also a football club. The field is quite big (200x200m) and flat, but there are many obstacles (light poles, goals). I've already damaged few models by accidentally hitting those poles.

If you know a better place arround E. L. would be nice.

This used to be my favorite field - you'll recognize it, "SmartTip" on the Browns Plains road. Unfortunately, they started building something there so it's no more usable as a flying site...
Old Oct 19, 2006, 05:36 AM
S.E Queensland Australia
Joined Jan 2006
704 Posts
Ah, that one. Yeah, I have only been there once. I threw my Mini-bee up and was buzzin around those goal posts and lights. Smashed full bore into one of those lights with electronic bits showering down everywhere . The trusty mini-bee was back up in no time though.

Don't know the other one, but it looks like it was a good spot.

I do know a spot which I think you might like. (No light poles, goal posts, roads, houses etc )Although its only good for weekends, and there is a trick to using it and getting away with it. Although the grounds too rough for ROG planes - but great for gliders. I'll have to show ya the spot. I'v had to send my new Hyperion motor back which I just bought for my equally new Thunder Tiger Soaring Star. Once I get it back and sorted out, I'll be ready for a fly.

Where abouts in EL are ya? I'm in Kummara Road.

Paul
Old Oct 19, 2006, 05:39 AM
Are you serious?
Brisbane
Joined Jun 2005
433 Posts
There a nice spots around, although a bit of a run from the GC. Sandgate on Brisbane's northside for NE (EPP). Bryons slopes to the south for bigger gliders. And of course the Ultimate, Rainbow beach, you'd need a weekend there. Other than that, bungee, bungee, bungee!
Miraj is offline Find More Posts by Miraj
Old Oct 19, 2006, 06:53 PM
Serbia Moderator
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2006
785 Posts
Hi Tailgunner, I am in Bella Vista...