HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 16, 2006, 04:08 PM
Manitowoc, Wisconsin
Joined Dec 2003
1,285 Posts
Discussion
Peter Rake IPS size SE5a

Well guys, here it goes. When I contacted Peter and expressed my interest in doing a IPS plane build, but not one that has been done or in process, he asked what I would like to build. I replied with SE5a !!!
Gratiously, he offered to rescale from his existing 400 size version and forward the files to me. I have received the files and have made 2 plooted 1 sheet prints. BTW, I like to do that so I can cut 1 up to build on and use for patterns, the other for reference and keeps. Yesterday I was off to the local Hobby Shop to pick up some 3/32 balsa sheet and order some Coverlite for this project. I do hope to get a start on it this evening or tomorrow as my work schedule is very heavy right now and I have a honey-do list to catch up on.
Lastly, I'd like to thank Peter for his generousity and the priviledge of being able to do this build. I have a feeling I am going to be hooked on these smaller birds. Thanks so much Peter........Greg
Greg Knipp is offline Find More Posts by Greg Knipp
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2006, 04:12 PM
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Sep 2005
1,308 Posts
Greg
Whats the WS?
floss is offline Find More Posts by floss
Old Sep 16, 2006, 05:06 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,732 Posts
Really looking forward to this Greg - I was torn between IPS Pete's SE5 and the Aussie Duigan - and in a fit of nationalistic fervor, opted for the Duigan

I'd love to do a little SE5 someday so your thread will be invaluable.

Good Luck with it - Pat
Pat Lynch is online now Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A New Year's Project
Old Sep 16, 2006, 06:08 PM
Manitowoc, Wisconsin
Joined Dec 2003
1,285 Posts
Maltone, the wingspan on her is at 27" and thanks for the kind words. I sure hope I can do justice do his design. This is my all time favorite WW1 biplane as I also have the plans for Peters' 54" version not to mention I purchased the 36" short kit version from Charlie. This plane is the perfect subject for IPS too as the needed dihedral is not out of place with her. Boy I just love the SE5a!!!!! It seems like the tide has shifted to these little birds and I can clearly see why. I like the idea of being able to utilize a smaller building space, heck the full plan is only 24"X36". Everything about them is really affordable too which is pleasing to me. This is a first venture for me into these small models so I hope I can tap into you old pros who have a few of these under your belts if questions should arrise.
I have been studying the plans for a while now so I know in my mind how everything should go together and what approach I will take. The build should be pretty straight forward but you never know.............
I am looking forward to the inspiration you guys have given me so far.
Old Sep 16, 2006, 06:16 PM
edi
Triplane addict
Elstertrebnitz, Germany
Joined Aug 2004
1,720 Posts
Good luck, Greg!

But "This plane is the perfect subject for IPS too as the needed dihedral is not out of place with her." sounds like an IPS subject *needed* dihedral. I quite don't understand. Why do you think so?
edi is offline Find More Posts by edi
Old Sep 16, 2006, 06:32 PM
Manitowoc, Wisconsin
Joined Dec 2003
1,285 Posts
Edi, with these smaller designs, Peters' in particular, there are no ailerons utilized so therefore some dihedral needs to be introduced for better control. On some of the WW1 aircraft like the Fokker EIII, or any biplane that had a flat top wing, the added dihedral would be considered unsightly by some, however, the original SE5a had dihedral in both wings and ailerons. Unsightly isn't an issue with me, it just so happens that the airplane I chose to proto won't have ailerons and the dihedral will be scale like regardless.
Old Sep 16, 2006, 06:42 PM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,181 Posts
Welcome to the 'IPS Builders Guild', Greg! Affordability is a prime factor in these little models (but then bigger electric models don't cost that much either). I had 11 sheets of wood a few weeks ago and they've built - or will build, when finished - a 27" Bristol Scout, a 27" DH6, a 36" DH6 and a 33" vintage model... and there's still wood left over! Total wood cost?; not even ten pounds. Just wish Litespan could be got as cheaply though.

Look forward to seeing your model.

Steve
Redbaron25 is offline Find More Posts by Redbaron25
Old Sep 16, 2006, 06:56 PM
CA, meet fingers...
Wellington, New Zealand
Joined Aug 2006
47 Posts
Go to it Greg!

Just as an update for the troops, Pete has delivered the Moska IPS plan and it looks a wee cracker. Unfortunatey a house move plus work pressures (never rains but it pours) means the build isnt slated to start until Oct/Nov...but I'm definitely keeping an eye on you guys to keep the enthusiasm levels high!

Ev. :-)
EpochNZ is offline Find More Posts by EpochNZ
Old Sep 16, 2006, 07:41 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,635 Posts
Greg,
Sorry mate, I missed this. Must have been up to my ears in Duigan drawing. Anyway, that is now on its' way to Pat, so I can relax for a little while. Who knows, I might even get the Sopwith Tripe drawings finished for Charlie - 45" & 36". Then again, maybe I'll have a closer look at that Wapiti for Everett. One of these days I might actually get to build something.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Sep 16, 2006, 07:53 PM
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Sep 2005
1,308 Posts
Greg
The benefits of these small birds are good, like you said a smaller workspace for a start. Also smaller flying fields, cheaper gear, the batterys charge quicker and when you're finished it can ride home in the passenger seat of the car. Heaps of convenient and cheap fun.
Steve
floss is offline Find More Posts by floss
Old Sep 16, 2006, 10:58 PM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maltone
Really looking forward to this Greg - I was torn between IPS Pete's SE5 and the Aussie Duigan - and in a fit of nationalistic fervor, opted for the Duigan

I'd love to do a little SE5 someday so your thread will be invaluable.

Good Luck with it - Pat
Good luck with it Greg, A modeler I know who does a lot of LARGE scale early aviation models claims the SE5a is the easiest of all the WWI models to trim and fly, if built correctly. 'It's a trainer with the control throws set mildly' (his comments..)

Pat, Is that the Australian early Avro Biplane? I keep running into it while doing Avro research online.. Looks a lot like the biplane Avro made after the model 4 Triplane.
Looooeeee! is offline Find More Posts by Looooeeee!
Last edited by Looooeeee!; Sep 16, 2006 at 11:06 PM.
Old Sep 16, 2006, 11:55 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,732 Posts
Looeee - Duigan worked with AV Roe, and the biplane was built after his return to Australia. So I guess it has a lot in common with Roe's planes of that period. (crashed on it's first flight too I think - not an omen I hope )

Pat
Pat Lynch is online now Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A New Year's Project
Old Sep 17, 2006, 12:10 AM
These go to eleven...
Hickory, NC
Joined Jan 2001
446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by floss
Greg
The benefits of these small birds are good, like you said a smaller workspace for a start. Also smaller flying fields, cheaper gear, the batterys charge quicker and when you're finished it can ride home in the passenger seat of the car. Heaps of convenient and cheap fun.
Steve
+1. Just getting back into flying after a year break. With a young family the IPS birds are just the thing for me. And I'm still using Nmhd (sp?) packs as the Lipos don't fit in with the current lifestyle.
dstout is offline Find More Posts by dstout
Old Sep 17, 2006, 08:33 AM
Currently land locked in the USA
Joined Sep 2006
68 Posts
Looking forward to this one, glad to know ips motor/gboxes are still available I'm so out of touch,

Hey Pete when you going to send me some back issues of Scale mag?

I'm glad that I found this one so early so that I can follow the progress closely.

John
sparkinwheels1 is offline Find More Posts by sparkinwheels1
Old Sep 17, 2006, 09:37 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,635 Posts
Hi john mate, welcome back to the madhouse.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE