SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 15, 2006, 06:52 AM
Suspended Account
Pulaski, NY
Joined Jan 2006
111 Posts
Question
I never covered a Plane before

Ok, the other day I went to move my 15 year old Goldberg Eagle and I decided to cut out the old patches that the previous owner did due to he did a sloppy job with some of the repair work in the past.

I'm glad I did because I saw a Spar Support loose in the wing, I repaired that already. I'm going to buy the Ultra-kote that matches my colors ( Thank God they still make it.)

I never covered or patched planes before using Mono-kote or Ultra-cote... So where can I go to read up on how to do it? Do I cut the size out that I want, and use the small Iron on the Balsa/Ply, while keeping everything tight? And then, use the Heat Gun for the rest just to tighten everything up?

I don't want to mention it to my club...they might get mad at me.

Peter Dowling aka Luftwaffe Oberst
AMA District II # 56404
Aero Modelers Club
Pulaski, NY
LuftwaffeOberst is offline Find More Posts by LuftwaffeOberst
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2006, 07:11 AM
Suspended Account
Nebraska, Lincoln
Joined Apr 2006
386 Posts
Why not ask some one there? That's what they are there for! Also the roll of covering will come with a sheet of instructions. How big is the area you are patching? Also do you have something like a Hobbico Sealing Iron or anything like that? A heat gun will do you millions too.
trab1925 is offline Find More Posts by trab1925
Old Sep 15, 2006, 07:27 AM
Suspended Account
Pulaski, NY
Joined Jan 2006
111 Posts
Like I said, I don't want them angry because I did that. They are the type of people that if it works...leave it alone. I'm into good repair work and good looking planes. Joe knew he was going to sell me the plane so he was sloppy with the repair work, If you look at there planes they look brand new.

Yes... I have the Heat Gun and Iron, just never used it. I usually bought RTF and ARF Planes. I guess if the directions come with the covering... then I guess I'm all set.

Thank You,

AMA District II # 56404
Aero Modelers Club
Pulaski, NY
Old Sep 15, 2006, 08:55 AM
Fleetwood, Northern England
Joined Jun 2006
303 Posts
It's just one of those things that you learn by doing to be honest. Read the instructions that come with it but if you are just doing repair work don't stress, if it doesn't look right take it off and try again. Covering is probably my least favourite part of building and I can't say I've ever got any good at it, other people seem to take to it straight away so you might be lucky. Then again I can't even wrap presents properly without getting my missus to help.
northernmonkey is offline Find More Posts by northernmonkey
Old Sep 15, 2006, 10:59 AM
God's gift to mankind for flying anything.
Joined Aug 2004
3,090 Posts
In repair work, try to repair the bad area, by making a larger "patched area", especially the wings.
By "larger" I mean, see if you can get some wood underneath the bad area where you will be "glueing" the covering down. A lot easier when you have wood to press on on ALL sides.
Just look if it can be done that way, and you may even end up wit a better looking plane.
indoruwet is offline Find More Posts by indoruwet
Old Sep 15, 2006, 12:45 PM
USA, CO, Peyton
Joined Feb 2006
298 Posts
This is hobby store deals mainly in electrics (very good ones). But Bill Stevens has a nice little document on it.
http://www.stevensaero.com/download/pdf/Aerofilm.pdf

good luck
TangoUniform is offline Find More Posts by TangoUniform
Old Sep 15, 2006, 03:54 PM
pd1
United States, MA, Haverhill
Joined Jun 2006
2,141 Posts
The instructions that come with Ultracoate are good, for covering a whole wing. I would rather cover a whole wing panel than have a bunch of little patches. That said,
if your covering a section only: cut the opening just shy of the ribs, and from spar or leading edge to trailing edge, end at the wood. I usually extend my patch front and rear to go overlap the leading and trailing edge. The little extra you left next to the ribs, fold down and heat seal to the side of the ribs, inside your area to be patched. This will keep it from creeping when you attach your patch. Cut your patch with a scissor so it's only 1/8 inch bigger than the opening, side to side, position it then tack it on the four sides to hold it in position. If your were accurate, then seal JUST the edges, then use a heat gun to shrink the rest. You can hide the patches pretty good this way.
If you have any problems following my poor directions, I can draw a diagram or post pictures.
Paul
pd1 is offline Find More Posts by pd1
Old Sep 15, 2006, 04:30 PM
Suspended Account
Nebraska, Lincoln
Joined Apr 2006
386 Posts
pd1 why do you say to do only the edges? I can see you have to do the edges first but you can do the middle to make it some what tighter before you use the gun can't you? It's going to get hot either way. But yeah really be careful with the gun. It will make the over layered sides melt and shrink before you put a hole in it though. But just be real careful so you don't have to do it again. Just like cutting wood. You can take more off but can't put it back on. Luckily if you screw up, you have another shot.
trab1925 is offline Find More Posts by trab1925
Old Sep 15, 2006, 04:57 PM
fly fly fly
Stationed in Aviano, Italy
Joined May 2005
486 Posts
rcuniverse has a 6 video like 500 mb file on covering, i've never covered but after watching that whole thing, i think i could do it! look in to How-to or what ever it's called section
CanDyRaVeR is offline Find More Posts by CanDyRaVeR
Old Sep 15, 2006, 05:31 PM
pd1
United States, MA, Haverhill
Joined Jun 2006
2,141 Posts
You want all the edges sealed before you put any heat to the open area, or the patch will shrink and separate from the edge. Once it's sealed all around yes an iron will work. I just like the heat gun because it heats more evenly to get all the wrinkles out. Also it's not uncommon to have the area adjacent to the patch loosen a little, a little heat and that will also tighten. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear about the heat, it's been a long day.
pd1 is offline Find More Posts by pd1
Old Sep 16, 2006, 12:16 AM
USA, TX, Diana
Joined Aug 2005
270 Posts
Go to RCUniverse.com and type in Minn Flyer. He is an expert and he has 3 videos
that you will find the links to. You will find they are very helpful.

If you have any problems finding them, just PM me. I will get you the links.
safebet is offline Find More Posts by safebet
Old Sep 16, 2006, 05:13 AM
Suspended Account
Pulaski, NY
Joined Jan 2006
111 Posts
You people have been very Helpful... all of you. I thank you so much! I'll carefully watch the video. Once I learn to master this... I look forward in building real kits or buying a RTC rather than RTF and ARF kits in the future.

I'd rather be the one in charge of having a good quality airplane, if you people know what I mean. I look up to people that build from scratch or full kits.

It seems it's becoming a rare thing now a days. I really enjoy the Forums here because I learn so much... and I Thank You all.

AMA District II # 56404
Aero Modelers Club
Pulaski, NY
Old Sep 17, 2006, 10:42 AM
Suspended Account
Pulaski, NY
Joined Jan 2006
111 Posts
I couldn't find the Video guys, A link would be even more helpful... Sorry.

AMA District II # 56404
Aero Modelers Club
Pulaski, NY
Old Sep 17, 2006, 11:02 AM
God is good
Banjul
Joined Jan 2001
4,246 Posts
Peter,

Go here and scroll down to the Covering section. You'll find 3 videos!!!
Viper Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Viper Pilot
Old Sep 17, 2006, 02:08 PM
Suspended Account
Pulaski, NY
Joined Jan 2006
111 Posts
Sweet Thank You... I'm downloading it now , will burn it to a disk for future referance. Viper, You're the Man!

AMA District II # 56404
Aero Modelers Club
Pulaski, NY