SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 14, 2006, 09:16 PM
Taking care of the pond.
United States, CA, Sanger
Joined Apr 2004
7,338 Posts
Discussion
Sterling Models Mahogany Runabout

Look what I got in the mail today. Sterling Models Mahogany Runabout. Anyone built one of these kits, or have any information would be helpful.
I plan this build for a winter project.

Thank You
Don M.
MILLERTIME is online now Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2006, 11:52 AM
Archbald, PA
Joined Mar 2006
39 Posts
Hi Miller,

I built that one a couple of years ago. It's pretty simple, good if you're a beginner like me. I was kind of dissapointed that the only way I could figure out how to do caulk lines would be to paint them on. That looked to be beyond my skill, so I left them off. Have fun.

Rob
bub9797 is offline Find More Posts by bub9797
Old Sep 16, 2006, 10:43 PM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2004
2,453 Posts
Bub-, In looking at the picture of the assembled model on the cover of Don's kit box, it appears to me that the mahogany boards comprising the deck are very narrow. Seems to my untrained eye that the deck boards should be slightly wider: there would be fewer of them and simulating the caulked appearance would thereby be somewhat easier to accomplish.
When I get to that stage on my really old Dumas C-C 20' Runabout, I'm going to see if I can make the mahogany deck boards slightly wider, thus requiring fewer of them and less caulking. Done carefully, should look okay. I'm not lazy, just unskilled.
Bill
jeepers1940 is offline Find More Posts by jeepers1940
Last edited by jeepers1940; Sep 16, 2006 at 11:06 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 09:55 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Jan 2008
174 Posts
Jeepers- I'm working on this model right now. The mahogany deck is all one piece, with grooves for the caulk lines. It seems as though the 1949 dumas runabout's deck lines are wider than the grooves on the Sterling model. I think this is because the Sterling model is from a different year of the Chris Craft, probably 1953 or 54 because if you look at a real CC from these years the lines are much thinner.
kylewp is offline Find More Posts by kylewp
Old Feb 24, 2008, 08:00 AM
Manitowoc, Wisconsin
Joined Dec 2003
1,286 Posts
I know this sounds like a lot of work, but if it were me, I would cut strips of mahogony and simulate the caulk lines with Evergreen plastic strips. In essance I would not use the solid deck sheet included with the kit. It also looks as though the planked section is lighter in color which would be another good reason to totally strip plank the deck. Just my thoughts.

Greg
Greg Knipp is offline Find More Posts by Greg Knipp
Old Feb 24, 2008, 08:48 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Knipp
I know this sounds like a lot of work, but if it were me, I would cut strips of mahogony and simulate the caulk lines with Evergreen plastic strips. In essance I would not use the solid deck sheet included with the kit. It also looks as though the planked section is lighter in color which would be another good reason to totally strip plank the deck. Just my thoughts.
Greg
Greg, I think that's the way the really big-time mahogany boat modelers do it.

Alternate with Evergreen and mahogany, block sand it flush, and finish.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Feb 25, 2008, 11:00 AM
Joined Feb 2008
3 Posts
Sterling Runabout

Here is picture of this model I built from the kit. It works great as an outboard
powered model. I used an outboard motor because my brother-in-law has a boat like this with a Johnson OB.
sargisko is offline Find More Posts by sargisko
Last edited by sargisko; Mar 17, 2008 at 08:03 PM. Reason: adding pictures
Old Feb 25, 2008, 03:27 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Jan 2008
174 Posts
Nice boat Sargisko! I never thought of putting an outboard on this model but it looks suprisingly good. I guess it saves all of the messing around with the driveshaft.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 05:28 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,813 Posts
Bub9797- Don’t feel bad about painting the caulk lines on the mahogany deck. The real HACKER CRAFT that are built to day have the caulk lines painted on and when you view the finished product you can’t tell the difference. I have built both the Sterling Classic mahogany dual cockpit, (which is really a Chris~Craft 19’ Racing runabout) and the Century 20’ Sea maid ,(pictures of both in previous threads) and they both had the caulk lines painted on.
JEEPEERS- I think that with a little research you will find that the caulk line of the Sterling Models boat kits is more true to scale than the Dumas model boat kit, which has much wider deck planks. No the planks did not vary during the years of production on the Chris~Crafts, they remained the same. If the deck planks that Dumas provides for the 19’ Racing runabout were basically cut in half you would be a lot closer to scale than the way Dumas does it with the wide deck planks. By the way if you just sanded the deck mahogany veneer down smooth and the stained and varnished the deck until you had a smooth sanded varnished surface with no holidays, you can use ¼” fine line striping laid out with 1/32” spacing between the tapes so you can paint the caulk lines, then varnish over them for the finish product. You must use the fine line tape, not the masking tape, so that the paint does not bleed under the tape and give a ragged edge.
frankg is online now Find More Posts by frankg
Old Feb 25, 2008, 07:44 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Jan 2008
174 Posts
Good call Frankg. I just assumed that Dumas is very particular about their boats being scale, so I figured that their 1949 model was accurate. Then I found a full scale 1953 racing runabout online, which had much thinner deck planks. So I figured Chris Craft must have changed its design. Could you point me to any pictures of your finished Sterling Runabout? I'm working on one now and I can't find too many pictures of finished ones other than Sargisko's and one that's for sale on eBay right now.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 02:39 AM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2004
2,453 Posts
Frank, Good information there, thank you for it.
jeepers1940 is offline Find More Posts by jeepers1940