HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 14, 2006, 10:47 AM
Westside, Santa Cruz
Joined Mar 2006
535 Posts
Alert
Help!!! Beware of Tomi Plane Builder

I need some help?

I posted here, a few months ago, that I needed someone to build a plane for me. I got a responce from a fellow rc groups member telling me he had a plane building service. I sent him a Weasle and Alula with all the hardware servo, rx, batt, etc. I was told at the time of shipping that it would take a "couple of weeks" to finish. No problem! About a week after I shipped the first two planes I got a call from NCFM that the hp60 I had been on the waiting list for was ready So I sent a p.m. to this builder (at this time I don't want to mention names) and asked if he could build the hp60 for me also, he said yes. So off goes the hp60 as well as a "Thorn" (the builder was to keep the Thorn as payment for building the Weasle and Alula)

A little over a month passes and I have no planes! I contact the builder, and he gives me about fifteen different excuses; the kid.....the job......etc, etc, etc.

I say no problem! I am very nice and tell him not to worry about it as he assures me my Weasle and Alula will ship out that week!

Two weeks pass and nothing!

I call him this time and leave him a voice mail. He calls me back and we talk. He says he has been really busy, the kid......the job......etc, etc, etc. He now tells me that my Weasle and Alula are done and he will ship them on Monday.

I say no worries but I am starting to get a little anxious/nervous!

Two weeks pass and nothing!

I call him again and leave a voice mail on his cell. I basically say in a VERY NICE WAY please send me all my planes. I told him to keep the Thorn (even if NO work has been done I say he can keep the Thorn) just send back everything else ( HP60, Weasle, Alula and the brand new hardware for all three: servos, rx's, batt's, blackjack switches, lost model alarms, hp60 ballast well over $500.00 worth of my stuff ) I ask him to pm or call me to confirm he has shipped.

One week passes and nothing, no planes, no message!

I call him again ( now he will never answer my call even if I make my number private on the caller I.D. ) I leave a voicemail asking him to please, please send my stuff. Asking him are you ripping me off? Why are you doing this to me? I told him, I would even paypal him the total as if he had finished the job on the hp60 $150.00 and he could keep the "Thorn" I just wanted my stuff back, there would be no hard feeling if he shipped it out that week!

One week passes and I get a pm that says I am sorry! I have been busy with the kid, the job, and the wife just started work! No, he says, I am not ripping you off, a lot of people know me on rcgroups, dont worry! But no mention of my plane!

That was one week ago!

It has been over three months and I have seen nothing! I have been asking nicely as well as finally demanding my stuff get sent back for about a month! In the last week I have left voicemails and sent pms with no responce. I have even threatened to call the police! He also told me that he works for a hobby shop in Texas, but I checked the web and the local yellow pages and the place doesnt seem to exist! Or at least I cant find it?

This rcgrouper has a trader rating over 30 so it doesn't make sense that I am being ripped off or scammed, or does it?

Has anyone had to deal with a problem like this? Got any ideas?

I think if I call the police they will not really care?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!!!
matter_daddy is offline Find More Posts by matter_daddy
Last edited by matter_daddy; Sep 24, 2006 at 09:46 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2006, 10:52 AM
Westside, Santa Cruz
Joined Mar 2006
535 Posts
To be fair a copy of this post has been p.m'd to the builder in question!
Old Sep 14, 2006, 11:02 AM
Ninja of the Nasty
Joined Jan 2004
10,647 Posts
I know who your talking about... and it definatley sucks whats happening... i would have trusted him with my stuff too..

that being said... as somebody that openend up my garage as a "Building Service" for customers, i can tell you that its not an easy thing to deal with... luckly everyone i worked with was very patient and i think i got things out at a reasonable time... some may have waited longer than others but due to the distance and never running into eachother and shipping wasnt a big concern since i ran into them at one time or another.

i can tell you that things DO come up... and like me when i have a day or two of REAL work here and there i have to take it.... i dont know his exact situation but a phone call is not difficult or to respond to an email. i never got out of contact with customers.

hope things work out man... from the sounds of it and posts i just checked out, it looksl ike he got overwhelmed (sp) with jobs...

Goodluck

JOe
KingOfTheHill is offline Find More Posts by KingOfTheHill
Old Sep 14, 2006, 11:23 AM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
There's absolutely no excuse for how he has handled the situation. Everyone runs into unforseen circumstances which throws delays into their schedules, but when someone breaks their promise time after time then their word becomes worthless. That's the issue at hand. Additionally, if someone is unable to fulfill their obligations in a reasonable amount of time, they should "man up" and cancel the deal even though it would mean forfeiting their toy plane as payment. And without a firm ETC commitment from the builder, how long exactly is a reasonable length of time to get the job done? 3 months? 6 months? 1 year? I think you see the problem here. You can try posting his member name to leverage peer pressure to your advantage, but that's about the only vehicle you have available to you on these boards.

It just goes to show you the risks of doing business with total strangers across a public message board as there is no recourse whatsoever if things go bad. # of posts or feedback guarantee nothing, and I think alot of people on these boards become too comfortable with the whole posts/feedback thing which lulls them into a false sense of security. I do lots of trading on these boards but it's always with the caveat of how much I am willing to risk.

Unlike Ebay or PayPal transactions where there is a system in place for recovering funds lost as a result of fraudulent transactions, deals done via the RCGroups message board is strictly "you're on your own".

Keep us posted,

Doubletap

- one more thing, I never pay for services in advance; that's just too tempting of human nature to take advantage of you
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Sep 14, 2006, 11:26 AM
Ninja of the Nasty
Joined Jan 2004
10,647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletap
- one more thing, I never pay for services in advance; that's just too tempting of human nature to take advantage of you
i always asked for half to cover supply's...

i drop 50-70bucks in supply's per JW i built... when i would sometimes have 8-10 on the bench at a time thats money i dont have up front... i say half is cool.. but not full

JOe
Old Sep 14, 2006, 11:28 AM
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfTheHill
i always asked for half to cover supply's...

i drop 50-70bucks in supply's per JW i built... when i would sometimes have 8-10 on the bench at a time thats money i dont have up front... i say half is cool.. but not full

JOe
An advance for covering the purchase of supplies by the builder is not only reasonable, but pretty standard in most industries. Labor is a different story.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 11:29 AM
Ninja of the Nasty
Joined Jan 2004
10,647 Posts
Quote:
An advance for covering the purchase of supplies by the builder is not only reasonable, but pretty standard in most industries. Labor is a different story.
agreed

JOe
Old Sep 14, 2006, 11:33 AM
Westside, Santa Cruz
Joined Mar 2006
535 Posts
Quote:
In all fairness, he did not ask for payment up front he wanted me to pay him when I get the planes. I sent him the Thorn because I trusted him!

Now my plan is to allow him one day to respond to this post! I have pm'd it to him, and will check his activity to see that he gets it!

If there is no responce I plan to post his: full name and address, email, website, bussiness address, rcgroup name, and phone # as well as call the San Angelo Police Dept.

Remember I have been being lied to for over two months!

All I want is my planes! I will still let him keep the Thorn
Old Sep 14, 2006, 11:38 AM
No slope for richardo
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2005
2,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by matter_daddy
All I want is my planes! I will still let him keep the Thorn
I think it depends on the progress on the kits, if they are complete then I think payment is due assuming that no time period was given upon recieving your kits. If a time period was given (one month, two months), then it's up to you to decide if a verbal / written contract was breached in reguards to letting him keep the Thorn.
Endless Sloper is online now Find More Posts by Endless Sloper
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 14, 2006, 11:39 AM
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
In all fairness, he did not ask for payment up front he wanted me to pay him when I get the planes. I sent him the Thorn because I trusted him!
Consider this a lesson learned!

Quote:
Remember I have been being lied to for over two months!
THIS is the issue at hand. Not the fact that it's been over 2 months.

Doubletap
Old Sep 14, 2006, 11:40 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,673 Posts
Good luck, you sound like a nice guy, I hope you get your planes. I would respectfully ask for the thorn back, if it were me. That is if NO WORK was done on the others.

Of course, we've only heard your side of the story...It would be interesting to hear from the other party.

I guess next time you'll either buy RTF's or build yourself....

Good luck to you.

Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Sep 14, 2006, 11:40 AM
No slope for richardo
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2005
2,259 Posts
Quote:
Consider this a lesson learned!

THIS is the issue at hand. Not the fact that it's been over 2 months.

Doubletap
Very true, in a business like this your word is your business.
Endless Sloper is online now Find More Posts by Endless Sloper
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 14, 2006, 11:45 AM
Westside, Santa Cruz
Joined Mar 2006
535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Sloper
I think it depends on the progress on the kits, if they are complete then I think payment is due assuming that no time period was given upon recieving your kits. If a time period was given (one month, two months), then it's up to you to decide if a verbal / written contract was breached.

I was told it would take two weeks for the Weasle and Alula, another two weeks for the hp60 ( one month total ). I have told him in all my messages that I would pay him the $130.00 we agreed upon for the hp60 as well as let him keep the Thorn even if my planes are not finished!!!! Just please send my planes back! He has the Thorn? Keep it!
Old Sep 14, 2006, 11:46 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,418 Posts
Quote:
If there is no responce I plan to post his: full name and address, email, website, bussiness address, rcgroup name, and phone # as well as call the San Angelo Police Dept.
I wouldn't post personal information if I were you. It'll likely earn you a warning for your trouble. the username would be sufficient with this crowd.

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Sep 14, 2006, 11:47 AM
Confirmed Chronic
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,238 Posts
I know who you're talking about as well. I think you will get your stuff back. I obviously don't approve of how he handled the situation based on what you've stated.
screamin' eagle is online now Find More Posts by screamin' eagle