SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Kev71H, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:33 PM
RCMCConline com
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Apr 2002
3,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_delong View Post
Hey guys, I'm interesting in getting into R/C bikes.I have been racing the gambit of of classes out here in Texas for a couple years now and I travel to CA once a year and would love to join you guys.

I was getting ready to pull the trigger on a Kyosho 1/8 HOR bike off eBay, then I realized the bike has been discontinued after trying to find replacement parts for it.

Can you provide a link to where you are getting your motorcycles and parts?
How long do your tires last?
Which traction compound are you using?
What are the most common breaks you experience with them?
Any recommended spare parts to stock up on?

Thanks!
HI BILL!!!

COME JOIN US~!

Some anwers:

Can you provide a link to where you are getting your motorcycles and parts? **** www.2WheelHobbies.com
How long do your tires last? Seemingly a VERY long time.
Which traction compound are you using? I never used any traction compound.
What are the most common breaks you experience with them? Its EPS Plastic, The front window on top ferring usually gets boogered up.
Any recommended spare parts to stock up on? Others will have to answer this one.

Note: 1/5 bikes are less "scale" but MUCH more hearty and break much less often.

*** I'm sure others have much more to say....

KEVIN
RCMCC
Kev71H is offline Find More Posts by Kev71H
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2012, 02:04 PM
RCMCC.tripod.com
Fremont, CA
Joined Sep 2003
2,348 Posts
Bill, if you're looking for 30-40mph speed RELIABLY I would not suggest any 1/8th scale bikes.

The Kyosho HOR is my favorite in terms of realism but the plastic chassis takes a beating, and it will take you $300 just to get it handling well. So don't let the "cheap" price fool you.

For 1/5th take a look at the forum threads. The SB-5 is easily available at towerhobbies and 2wheehobbies.com.
grymg is offline Find More Posts by grymg
Old Oct 26, 2012, 02:11 PM
DLAWW
Socal
Joined Dec 2005
823 Posts
This is the next race down here at SoCal maybe some of you can make it.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...1&d=1351173889
DLAWW is offline Find More Posts by DLAWW
Old Oct 26, 2012, 02:44 PM
Did I make the A Main?
Austin,TX
Joined Mar 2009
266 Posts
Thanks for all the tips guys, I went ahead and ordered an SB-5 from Tower, it came out to $170 shipped with coupon. It comes with a brushed system, but I may experiment with some spare brushless setups that I have lying around until I get the desired performance I am looking for.

I will be the first at my local on-road club to try a 1/5 bike on the track, hopefully I can generate interest with other racers and get a regular class going. Regardless, I will definitely put in plenty of practice time before my next trip to Cali, I also frequent SoCal too, I grew up in a sleepy town called La Canada and still have family in the LA area.

Thanks everyone, hope to see you guys next Spring!
bill_delong is offline Find More Posts by bill_delong
Old Oct 26, 2012, 03:42 PM
Editor, RCCA
Joined Nov 2004
3,211 Posts
Welcome, Bill! I'm one of the SoCal guys; in fact, I'm going to La Canada tonight to watch my oldest son's varsity football team play (Chaminade College Prep [7-1 -- my son's team] vs. St. Francis [3-5]).

Take your time and have lots of patience putting the SB5 on the track the first time. And do it with no one else on the track. I recommend plenty of open parking lot time first, to really get a feel for the way it handles and to get used to how significantly different it is from driving an RC car. The hardest part about piloting an RC bike is getting it to exit a turn pointing in the direction you want -- it sounds easy, but just takes wheel time to get the hang of it.

We race our 1:8 bikes on 1:10 car tracks no problem, but 1:5 bikes really need a 1:5-sized car track to get the most out of them. And even then, most 1:5 car tracks here in the U.S. aren't flowing enough to really drive our bikes to their limit.

Anyway, I'm not trying to scare you, just to warn you to be patience. Many of us here here have been doing this for many years, and we've seen dozens and dozens of car drivers give up on their new bike after just a couple of weeks because of the learning curve. We don't want you to be that guy.
Guidoracer is offline Find More Posts by Guidoracer
Old Oct 26, 2012, 04:31 PM
Did I make the A Main?
Austin,TX
Joined Mar 2009
266 Posts
Oh man, I wish I had known that 1:8 was the way to go, oh well, at least this wasn't too expensive of a mistake. I will still try it out, we actually race 1:8 cars on this track too, here is a sample of one of the layouts to give you perspective with my RC8Be burning a few practice laps:

Team Associated RC8Be conversion to GT8 (3 min 12 sec)

Best of luck with your sons game tonight, I hope they beat the piss out of those jokers at St Francis, ha!
***EDIT*** Looks like they sure did:
http://www.maxpreps.com/contests/_w8vKnUNfkCdvQzccgtqcA/football-fall-12/boxscore-chaminade-west-hills-vs-st-francis-la-canada.htm

So which 1:8 bike handles the best for 1/10 outdoor asphalt tracks?
Last edited by bill_delong; Oct 29, 2012 at 02:51 PM.
Old Nov 01, 2012, 06:11 PM
PROFESSOR TRUTH JIMMY ICE
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
6,727 Posts
well it depends on how deep your pockets are... I like the Venom GPV-1 for price and performance, but it takes some fiddling for it to be driver friendly... it's a very twitchy and lightweight bike, but once you get it sorted, it's very good... I also like the OTO T258, but it's been replaced by the ZH-Racing Z-203B bike... the ZH bike is the end-all be-all of 1/8 scale bike racing, but it will dent your wallet pretty good... but it's raceable right out of the box....

http://2wheelhobbies.com/product_inf...oducts_id=1579

Akura2 is offline Find More Posts by Akura2
Old Nov 01, 2012, 07:21 PM
RCMCConline com
Joined Apr 2002
3,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akura2 View Post
well it depends on how deep your pockets are... I like the Venom GPV-1 for price and performance, but it takes some fiddling for it to be driver friendly... it's a very twitchy and lightweight bike, but once you get it sorted, it's very good... I also like the OTO T258, but it's been replaced by the ZH-Racing Z-203B bike... the ZH bike is the end-all be-all of 1/8 scale bike racing, but it will dent your wallet pretty good... but it's raceable right out of the box....
DENT? More like "SMASHES" the wallet for 1/8. But eye candy indeed. I wish we had MORE 1/8 support in running these.
Old Nov 01, 2012, 10:02 PM
Did I make the A Main?
Austin,TX
Joined Mar 2009
266 Posts
my SB5 arrived in the mail yesterday, and I replaced the stock brushed electronics with a HobbyWing 60A ESC + Tacon 3930kV.

Yep I see what you all mean about there being a learning curve to driving it!

I can't wait to take it to the track on Sat and see how it handles the layout, with slower speeds I think it can make all the tight turns okay, but I plan to upgrade the front brake kit and play with the suspension to hopefully get more traction on the front wheel, it pushes really bad in my cul-de-sac

Do you guys use drag brake? It's challenging to figure out the right settings, got lots of tweaking to tame this beast, I can't go more than 1/2 throttle without getting speed wobbles, ha!
Old Nov 01, 2012, 10:49 PM
RCMCConline com
Joined Apr 2002
3,705 Posts
One word upgrade. "Rubber " NEW RUBBER that is. Night ans day difference in traction. A pair of Germsn Roadies is my suggestion. Soft compound pro. Did you see the 2 wheel RC video cast?
Last edited by Kev71H; Nov 02, 2012 at 09:13 AM.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 02:43 AM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,341 Posts
Italian are GRP and PMT's...
The Roadies are German!!!

Speaking of tires, however, any PMT200, slick or cut with a very hard insert (like Massari's) will do, too...
steliosh is offline Find More Posts by steliosh
Old Nov 02, 2012, 09:19 AM
RCMCConline com
Joined Apr 2002
3,705 Posts
Ahhh yes...what was I thinking??? Corrected. Thanks stelios .
Old Nov 02, 2012, 10:05 AM
Did I make the A Main?
Austin,TX
Joined Mar 2009
266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev71H
One word upgrade. "Rubber " NEW RUBBER that is. Night ans day difference in traction. A pair of Germsn Roadies is my suggestion. Soft compound pro. Did you see the 2 wheel RC video cast?
I definitely see what you mean, the stock tires feel like maybe 65-70 shore, almost drift tire rubber! Do you have a link to the video you are referring to? I watched many video links on this thread, I scanned nearly every page before I made my first post and I was sold after watching a couple 1/8 races, but it wasn't clear what bikes were racing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steliosh
Italian are GRP and PMT's...
The Roadies are German!!!

Speaking of tires, however, any PMT200, slick or cut with a very hard insert (like Massari's) will do, too...
I am definitely interested in buying some new tires, but it's very confusing because there are no dimensions given on tires listed at www.2WheelHobbies.com

is that the only place in the US to order tires from?
He is closed for the next 2 weeks and I'd like to get new tires sooner if possible.

I also saw your thread here:
http://steliosh.net/rcmoto/tt_sb5/weight/index.html

why did you remove the front brake?

are treaded tires better for asphalt tracks?
I was thinking of getting 30 shore for the front and 50 shore for the rear:
http://2wheelhobbies.com/product_inf...oducts_id=1573
http://2wheelhobbies.com/product_inf...oducts_id=1576

do these tires fit the stock SB5 wheels?

Thanks for all the help guys!
Old Nov 02, 2012, 11:55 AM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,341 Posts
from this list: http://2wheelhobbies.com/index.php?c...85be1e76fc4bd9

The PMT 200 extra soft are the preferred tires for 1/5 bikes, front or rear, from the PMT range. from these, the treaded ones wear very quickly with use, so just stick with slicks. They can handle more abuse and can even work in the wet (provided you have a set exclusively for wet usage). I actually use the treaded tires because I raced at the Worlds in the Stock class, where they are the only tires allowed: PMT 200 soft Treaded. For this reason I also dont run a front brake (World Stock rules) and I have added lead sheet around the battery box to make the bike heavier (1900 gram. minimum, while a SBK-spec SB-5 weighs around 1650-1700). For this reason I was looking into heavier wheels and tires, too, in order to ADD WEIGHT to get to the class limit!!!!

Then there are the Roadies in two compounds. (Search for the thread named after them).

The Roadies might seem steeply priced, but they come with rims and whatever insert there is in them.
If you add the cost of two TT rims, two PMT200 tires and two hard inserts, you come to almost the same price as the Roadies.
In case you are not going to race at a World level, there's no need for the hardest inserts; the TT (SB-5) black ones will do the job nicely.

Back to the list, in general the ZH tires are 1/8 scale, as are the Venom V-range.
steliosh is offline Find More Posts by steliosh
Old Nov 02, 2012, 12:10 PM
RCMCConline com
Joined Apr 2002
3,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steliosh View Post
from this list: http://2wheelhobbies.com/index.php?c...85be1e76fc4bd9

The PMT 200 extra soft are the preferred tires for 1/5 bikes, front or rear, from the PMT range. from these, the treaded ones wear very quickly with use, so just stick with slicks. They can handle more abuse and can even work in the wet (provided you have a set exclusively for wet usage). I actually use the treaded tires because I raced at the Worlds in the Stock class, where they are the only tires allowed: PMT 200 soft Treaded. For this reason I also dont run a front brake (World Stock rules) and I have added lead sheet around the battery box to make the bike heavier (1900 gram. minimum, while a SBK-spec SB-5 weighs around 1650-1700). For this reason I was looking into heavier wheels and tires, too, in order to ADD WEIGHT to get to the class limit!!!!

Then there are the Roadies in two compounds. (Search for the thread named after them).

The Roadies might seem steeply priced, but they come with rims and whatever insert there is in them.
If you add the cost of two TT rims, two PMT200 tires and two hard inserts, you come to almost the same price as the Roadies.
In case you are not going to race at a World level, there's no need for the hardest inserts; the TT (SB-5) black ones will do the job nicely.

Back to the list, in general the ZH tires are 1/8 scale, as are the Venom V-range.

**** I agree 100% ****