HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 13, 2006, 09:43 PM
Live, Die, FLY
Kalispell, in the Rocky Mountains
Joined Jul 2006
497 Posts
Mini-Review
F-27C Stryker Review

After being consulted by many people to write a full review I decided I would. Now I am no expert, this would be my first successful airplane to fly ever.

At a glance:
-4+ Channel FM Radio (standard 3 wire servos)
-1880Kv Brushless provides excellent power
-3-cell 11.1V 2200mAH Li-po batter (and smart charger)
-"Heavy duty" elevon hinges
-Fully proportional throttle and elevons

The plane comes packed In a foam insert, all you have to do is carefully remove the airplane, slide on vertical fins, install transmitter batteries, and charge the flight battery.

I had heard alot about the plane having glitches in flight (its 72MHz, of course it will). I have my own flying field, roughly 40 acres. I was a little worried about the neighboring cell tower, and yet no problems.

First flight:
After installing the battery, checking the CG and range testing it, I was ready. I followed the example, half throttle, half up elevator... My plane landed nose first into the ground 3 times. The third time snapping the tip of the nose off. This was it, I would fly it now or never. I gave it full throttle and launched it into the air. The motor hissed and whined as it climbed. A little shocked I pulled back on the throtte and went to make my first turn. I knew many people were having problems by over correcting, I gently rolled the plane and pulled up, a perfect level turn. This really got my hopes up. At about half battery I decided that it was time to try some more, oh let's say extreme things. I leveled out the plane and gave it full left elevorn the plane whipped around. I countered it and returend to normal flight. In the roll it lost little altiude. I played around with it seeing how fast I could turn it. Loops, and rolls it exiuted with little effort. I flew it for a full battery, untill those last moment I feard came...

The motor boged down and reved up, and down. I emidetly put the throttle on the lowist setting, just to keep the prop spinning. I came in low, about 6 feet of the ground killed the motor, (landing speed is about 20mph). The tips of the elevons skimmed the grass as it finaly slid to a stop.

Flight charictoristics:
-This plane dose what you want, when you want it to.
-Contrary to what other piolets say, you dont need to be thinking 3 turns ahead,a split second desition make your spine tingle
-At high speed it is very responsive, at high rates it is unbelivible
-Tho I would not recomend trying to fly a whole battery on high rates, I have, and it takes alot more work.
-Flys nice and level, when trimed correctly
-Landing speed may be a little high, and it may also take 2 or 3 passes befor you can have a perfict aproch.
-20min of flight time

Complants:
-The battery seemed to be a bit finiky, some charges took 4 hours, some 1 and a half, it is a smart charger, but I would like it to be more predictable
-VERY VERY nice paint job, you dont want to scrape it.
-You lose unlimited vertical at about 3/4 battery
-At night or dark it is kind of hard to tell what it is doing, when first flying

HITS:
Great flyer, very arobatic, good flight times, very strong airframe

MISS:
At 65mph, a crash, will definitly end you up back at the hobbie shop.

The first set of pics is befor the first flight, I will lable the pics from after the flight.

I Would recomend this airplane to anybody who wants a plane that is fun to learn on, and who may have the occastional crash.

This is the funnist plane I have ever seen flown (next to turbin planes), or have flown for that matter

For $250 RTF, It is way way worth it

Happy flying
-Dustin W. Freebury
That can fly?!? is offline Find More Posts by That can fly?!?
Last edited by That can fly?!?; Sep 14, 2006 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Corrected about half of the spelling errors
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2006, 10:09 PM
Fly
Alamogordo, New Mexico, United States
Joined Apr 2002
694 Posts
Nice write up. Thank you.
darenm is offline Find More Posts by darenm
Old Sep 14, 2006, 09:14 PM
Live, Die, FLY
Joined Jul 2006
497 Posts
Sorry for the bad spelling
Old Sep 14, 2006, 09:46 PM
God is my pilot
United States, MI, Kalamazoo Township
Joined Aug 2006
2,430 Posts
Thanks for the writeup!
JimTMich is offline Find More Posts by JimTMich
Old Sep 14, 2006, 10:02 PM
Live, Die, FLY
Joined Jul 2006
497 Posts
New pics

I know there were a few pictures that I had forgotten (transsmiter, battery ect.). Here they are...
Old Sep 15, 2006, 08:58 PM
No warning points today!!
Hixson, TN
Joined May 2005
645 Posts
Me Want Video!!!!!!!!
flyingace451 is offline Find More Posts by flyingace451
Old Sep 15, 2006, 10:09 PM
Live, Die, FLY
Joined Jul 2006
497 Posts
Video

I would love to post a video, but I dont know how. Anyway this weekend up here in Kalispell is booked for rain . If sombody can help me I can get a video asap.

-Dustin
Last edited by That can fly?!?; Sep 15, 2006 at 10:09 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Sep 16, 2006, 01:24 PM
♠ ♂ ♠
Mile High City
Joined Dec 2004
473 Posts
Thanks for the review ThatCanFly? !

How much experiance do you have with Airplanes? Can you write a little list of the planes you have owned?

I should point out the Parkzone lipo is only rated at 8C / 12C burst ,i'm sure that it can handle the Stryker just fine but it would be nice to connect a MaxAmps 1500mah 3s 15/20C lipo or the 2100mah 15/20C. Only problem is I don't have a Lipo Charger that can do 3 Cells. I've said it befor ; that parkzone lipo Charger/Balancer looks like a great buy IF I can figure out how to charge a maxamps lipo with hyperion balance taps. I'm not sure I want to be the one to experement with the Color Coding on the Taps . If it has the more "standard" taps i'm happy here is a link to the charger question http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=562607

The Parkzone RX also looks odd. The manual says there are 6 channel ports.
1. Throttle /ESC
2. Elevator
3. Aileron / right servo

4. Aileron / left sevor
5. Rudder
6. Aux1 (There is a jumper in this port to activate Dual rates) Whats up with that??

I was under the imprestion most Rx were;
1 Thr / esc
2 Aileron
3 Elevator
4 Ruddr
5 Gear
6 Aux1

I'm wondering were the Flaperons mixing is at, is there a v-tail mixer in the plane?? Shouldn't the Dual rates be programed into the TX, what is up with the jumper in AUX to activate dualrates ??
bEbOp ? is offline Find More Posts by bEbOp ?
Old Sep 16, 2006, 03:14 PM
Live, Die, FLY
Joined Jul 2006
497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bEbOp ?
Thanks for the review ThatCanFly? !

How much experiance do you have with Airplanes? Can you write a little list of the planes you have owned?

The Parkzone RX also looks odd. The manual says there are 6 channel ports.
1. Throttle /ESC
2. Elevator
3. Aileron / right servo

4. Aileron / left sevor
5. Rudder
6. Aux1 (There is a jumper in this port to activate Dual rates) Whats up with that??

I was under the imprestion most Rx were;
1 Thr / esc
2 Aileron
3 Elevator
4 Ruddr
5 Gear
6 Aux1

I'm wondering were the Flaperons mixing is at, is there a v-tail mixer in the plane?? Shouldn't the Dual rates be programed into the TX, what is up with the jumper in AUX to activate dualrates ??

If you dont know what dual rates are it increases your controll throws, making the plane more responsive.

The planes I have ownd are,
#1. Parkzone J-3 Cub, lasted about 30sec, never flown again
#2 F-27C Stryker, love it, fly it in wind, and now night

It dosent realy matter on how the RX is set up. The jumper is like a cercet. Its the same output on if you wanted to put the sonic combat module on, like in the F-27B or A. The switch on the uper right of the controll activates, or deactavats this function, and it dose make quite a differance.\

I have very little experance with airplanes, but I know how to fly this one.

I have tho owned a Blade CX, and a Blade Cp, I could never fly the cp tho.

-Dustin
Last edited by That can fly?!?; Sep 16, 2006 at 03:15 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Sep 16, 2006, 04:11 PM
SIU Aviation
Wheeling, Illinois
Joined Dec 2003
5,240 Posts
Where is the CG at? I've got the F-27B or one of the earlier RTF versions, and I just outfitted it with my own gear and battery. The manual didn't seem to give a CG location. Thanks
Kyle G. is offline Find More Posts by Kyle G.
Old Sep 16, 2006, 04:13 PM
Live, Die, FLY
Joined Jul 2006
497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle G.
Where is the CG at? I've got the F-27B or one of the earlier RTF versions, and I just outfitted it with my own gear and battery. The manual didn't seem to give a CG location. Thanks
The CG is located in the small molded pockets on the bottom of the plane, there should be a dimple in each pocket, that is where you cg is

-Dustin
Old Sep 16, 2006, 04:15 PM
SIU Aviation
Wheeling, Illinois
Joined Dec 2003
5,240 Posts
Dang Dustin, many thanks for the quick reply.
Kyle G. is offline Find More Posts by Kyle G.
Old Sep 16, 2006, 05:06 PM
Live, Die, FLY
Joined Jul 2006
497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle G.
Dang Dustin, many thanks for the quick reply.
No problem

-Dustin
Old Feb 04, 2010, 10:37 PM
SKELETON RULES!!! (sport)
Vancouver,BC,Canada
Joined Jun 2009
195 Posts
is this a good intermediate plane
finnrambo is offline Find More Posts by finnrambo
Old Feb 05, 2010, 08:54 AM
Debary, Fl.
Joined Oct 2007
2,314 Posts
Quote: