HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 16, 2002, 12:16 PM
Singapore
Joined Nov 2001
802 Posts
Model plane lighting system

I'm building a blown-up version of Fred Reese designed Electric Buttercup and intending to turn it into a flying lantern. My initial intention is to use LEDs for wing and fin tips, and halogen bulbs in the cabin and engine cowl nose light. Entire airplane will be covered in transparent film. Does anyone out there has any past experience and better suggestions? Thanx.
Joe Yap is offline Find More Posts by Joe Yap
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2002, 02:17 PM
USA
Joined Oct 2001
5,174 Posts
Quote:
halogen bulbs in the cabin and engine cowl nose light.
For a lower current burden, use the high lumen (super bright) white LED's in these area.

Regards,
Mr. RC-CAM
www.rc-cam.com
Mr.RC-CAM is offline Find More Posts by Mr.RC-CAM
Old Aug 16, 2002, 04:54 PM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,400 Posts
Lightning system

You may find that with clear covering that all you see is lights! I'm not sure what would give the effect, but take a tip from the Mugi slopers - the Correx is translucent, and lights make the whole thing glow. I only have two high intensity leds each side, but the effect in total darkness is startling.

If you follow the link at www.mugi.co.uk you can download some movie of the night flying/led lit models.

Tony
Tony Oliver is offline Find More Posts by Tony Oliver
Old Aug 16, 2002, 08:47 PM
Singapore
Joined Nov 2001
802 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr.RC-CAM
For a lower current burden, use the high lumen (super bright) white LED's in these area.[/url]
Yes! So those super bright LEDs used on mini flashlights are called high lumen. It'll definitely be my first choice. Thanx for the enlightment.

The entire construction will be balsa trusses and I guess Correx is impractical. However, I believe some less opaque iron-on film can give the same effect. Has anyone tried it? Is opaque Monokote, Solarkote suitable? Thanx again.
Old Aug 16, 2002, 10:32 PM
2xSalto my kid flies too!
USA, WI, Stoughton
Joined Jun 2000
300 Posts
Night Lighting

I've experimented with a variety of lighting set-ups. My favorite, and worth a second look is RC Neon @ www.rcneon.com. Two sets of contrasting color for top and bottom of wing or whatever will set you back $50. There is a power inverter box about 2'' square but the results when powered off a 9v transistor radio battery are very impressive. I fly my E Zagi right down to the deck as in daylight. Other methods were cheaper, this has been the most fun.
rcgreaves is offline Find More Posts by rcgreaves
Old Aug 17, 2002, 10:43 AM
When the time is right
Hayward, CA
Joined Apr 2001
1,637 Posts
The leds have a lens and the light is focused in one direction , I took a fine sponge sanding tool to mine and the light was diffused and lit the area better. Somewhere here is a photo of my Avertura II that had lights in the wing panels ( I'm on the Ole Lady's Computer now, no RC crap allowed). The effect is great for nite flight , on the lake you'll get bass going for yer plane.

Try lighting the stab the way the airlines do , two leds shining up from the horizonal stab illuminating the vertical stab, this helps orientation , and watch out for barn owls!

Save Torrey Pines
Earl
Duke58 is offline Find More Posts by Duke58
Old Aug 18, 2002, 09:09 AM
Singapore
Joined Nov 2001
802 Posts
Does anyone know what's the voltage and current draw for high lumen LEDs? I'm thinking of putting some in the cabin and inside the wings to turn the model into a flying lantern. Green LED will be placed on the left wingtip, Red for right and if I can find, a blinking LED on the fin tip. Not quite sure about RC Neon as I can't even access to the website.
Old Aug 19, 2002, 11:37 AM
USA
Joined Oct 2001
5,174 Posts
Quote:
Does anyone know what's the voltage and current draw for high lumen LEDs?
Unlike traditional LED's, the "Vf" voltage of the high brightness types are higher (usually range from 2 to 4 VDC at 20mA). You will need to look at the LED's data sheet to get the actual value.

The good news is that with the proper currently limiting resistor they will still operate from a standard 4-cell or higher pack. At 20mA per LED, the ESC's BEC output can be used if you do not get crazy with lamp count.

Also, the viewing angles can get rather narrow, so pick something that has at least 45 degrees for good visibility. A diffused lens is often the best choice too, but it all depends on what you are trying to illuminate.

Regards,
Mr. RC-CAM
www.rc-cam.com
Old Aug 20, 2002, 02:20 AM
Eureka, CA
Joined Dec 2001
35 Posts
Do check out the Mugi site, lots of good info on what types and colors of leds work best.
On a diffrent note, I just recieved some luminous paint I'm excited about. It's inexpensive, water-based and can be mixed with transparent acrilic paints to provide colors.
I'm interested in mixing it with water-based quick drying urathane varnish, a new wonderstuff finish for use on foam. it can be colored with ordinary food coloring!
Here is a link: http://campscrafts.safeshopper.com/202/1683.htm?906

-Dave
OH!Zone is offline Find More Posts by OH!Zone
Old Aug 20, 2002, 04:05 AM
Mugi Pilot
United Kingdom, Scotland, Edinburgh
Joined May 2000
521 Posts
Joe, I think if you cover the plane in transparent film you'll suffer some of the problems I got on the early Mugi.

The high brightness LEDs have a relatively narrow viewing angle but will diffuse very well under a translucent material such as correx. I'm not sure how film will compare as the cellular structure of correx seems to refract and internally distribute the light. I'm not up on coverings, but I suspect a textured type might work better than the smooth films.

The narrow viewing angle may cause problems if you have transparent as at certain angles you may find yourself looking directly down the 'lens'. This will dazzle you and you'll probably get a halo effect in your vision - effectively making the rest of the plane vanish from the sky, especially those parts illuminated by LEDs pointing the opposite direction.

The best LEDs I have found are green and blue ultra brightness. The green quotes up to 10000mcd as their output - though I tend to use the 4400mcd versions which increase viewing (spread) angle from 15 deg to 30 deg.
Those I buy are manufactured by Nichia and run to 3 per LED here in the UK. Your local supplier should have some of a similar spec. Fortunately, there are also some orange LEDs that give out a good amount of light for only 0.80 each. These are Toshiba.

The Mugi site should have the specs and links to Maplin if you want to compare the ID's etc. to your local place.

The white LEDs are amazingly bright but I should warn you that it all my experiments they did not diffuse as well as the colours.
In fact, in order to fill a Mugi with as much uniform light coverage as one green and one blue, I needed six white LEDs!
They just do not like to diffuse.

Hope that's helpful.

By the way, OH!Zone - over here, one of our main paint mfrs. Dulux has a glow in the dark paint that's actually sold in big tins - I think up to 500ml for about 8 which compares pretty favourably. I haven't seen it in action but I suspect it's not bad and may be worth a shot.
Also, regular emulsion or vinyl paint seem to be the only thing that sticks to correx.

Links:

Green Nichia LED (brightest and best diffuser)
Blue Nichia LED
Toshiba Extreme Brightness - orange makes a great red

Cheers

Morgan
Moogee is offline Find More Posts by Moogee
Old Aug 21, 2002, 08:18 AM
Singapore
Joined Nov 2001
802 Posts
Thank you guys for your valuable suggestions. I'm still yet to decide the system to use. A friend of mine agreed to sell me his RC Model lighting system cheap which is similar to the RCNEON. However, I was told that this system is quite delicate. My model is huge (68" span) and the fuselage is volumuos. I reckon that it can easily carry a separate 4-cell 600mah pack w/o much weight penalty. It seems that it'll need quite a number of LEDs to have sufficient brightness or I could get away with a halogen bulb or 2 with enough duration for about 2-3 , 10mins flights. I've yet to find out the cost of LEDs and halogen bulbs. If LEDs only direct light in certain directions, what is the best possible LEDs placement and configuration in the fuselage to get optimum effect?
Old Aug 21, 2002, 05:17 PM
Joined Jan 1999
419 Posts
Look at: http://www.glowire.com/ They offer luminescent wire and LED'S for all kinds of applications. We've used them with very good success on R/C airplanes (they originally were aiming for the R/C airplane market, but it was so small they've branched out to other areas).

Steve
Steven Horney is offline Find More Posts by Steven Horney
Old Aug 21, 2002, 09:56 PM
Profile Infraction
Tacoma,WA USA
Joined Jun 2001
3,929 Posts
Or if you don't want to mess with wires.....

Found these at K-mart, 2.27$ for a pack of 2, .5g a piece.
William A is offline Find More Posts by William A
Last edited by William A; Mar 03, 2014 at 03:31 PM.
Old Aug 23, 2002, 07:59 AM
now that's a wattmeter...
Singapore
Joined May 2002
1,136 Posts
Hmm, would it be possible to use spare servo outputs from the receiver to drive a buffer transistor which is in turn connected to the LEDs? The servo output *is* a PWM signal, right? Only thing is you wouldn't be able to switch the lights completely off, but it would be cool to have adjustable intensity lighting
simingx is offline Find More Posts by simingx
Old Aug 23, 2002, 09:36 AM
USA
Joined Oct 2001
5,174 Posts
Quote:
would it be possible to use spare servo outputs from the receiver to drive a buffer transistor which is in turn connected to the LEDs?
The duty cycle of the servo's signal is too low to allow for satisfactory performance. But, you could always buy a cheap low current ESC for use as a lamp dimmer.

Regards,
Mr. RC-CAM