SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 12, 2006, 09:26 AM
Ottawa Canada
Joined Feb 2004
810 Posts
Discussion
Beware the SHARK-E

Hey guys Iam having a hoot with my own little prop-jet desgin. Its loosly based on the Ryan Firebee Target Drones of the 60's - Sorry it not a pusher!

38.5" ws - 40" with sweep
length 29"
E-Flight 15 engine
Phoniex 35 speed control
2100 3S lipo's

Plane is all laser cut built up wing 2 - HS-55 servo's for Aileron and HS81 for elavator.

Plane got clocked doing 145km/hr on radar gun Have had flights 15min long.
Plane fly's very fast or super slow and loves to thermal.

After model got Shark mouth it quickly was called the SHARK-E

Mk-III of design should replace built up wood nose with a vac-U-formed one for ease of engine access. Want to get it right before possible kit version available.

Video for view! I would love to hear your views

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...hmentid=982141
Ken Park is offline Find More Posts by Ken Park
Last edited by Ken Park; Nov 27, 2006 at 04:00 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2006, 10:44 AM
Fresno, CA
Joined May 2005
1,162 Posts
nice looking plane. There was a kit in the 80s exactly like this made by ACE RC called the "GLH" (goes like heck) I had one with a TD .051 on it and it did "GLH" so I would imagine with a decent electric setup it would be really fast. It came with a foam or a built-up wing.
jzanutto is offline Find More Posts by jzanutto
Old Sep 12, 2006, 11:30 AM
Ottawa Canada
Joined Feb 2004
810 Posts
You got a keen eye!

Ya the Shark-E owns it roots to the ACE GLH II- I flew one years ago with a TD-.049 and I kept breaking the cam-shaft on the piston in high speed dives.

I had so much fun with the model I went ahead and built a bigger version. My first try was with foam wings and a .15LA But I wanted new model to look like a jet so I added jet intake and rear exhaust cone. If you look at the Ryan Firebee series its close. So basically this is entire new design cause every part has been enlarged, changed or modified. Its true if you find a basic layout that works use it!!!!!! This version uses tons of tabs and slots for ease of build.

I think House of Balsa would be good fit for a company that could produce this design these days. Wishfull thinking on my side. Anyone know the HOB president?
Last edited by Ken Park; Sep 12, 2006 at 11:38 AM.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 10:32 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,301 Posts
Kit it.. Consider one sold here...
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Sep 13, 2006, 06:33 AM
Ottawa Canada
Joined Feb 2004
810 Posts
Beta build batch of 3 - (SHARK-E)

I should be getting the laser cut parts for 3 copies of the SHARK-E some time this week? - Iam building 2 on commission and the third going to a local club member. I'll be trying further improvements on this batch of 3. The big improvement I want to try is a vac-u-formed nose cone over the motor.

The builder so far is provided with all the balsa needed to finish the model but needs a Balsa stripper to make his own wing spars, LE,TE type stock etc. The 1/32 wing top/bottom D-tube sheeting needs to be measured/cut from sheet!

I could go the extra mile in the next version and have most of that above strip-stock and sheeting laser cut as well - but it does add cost to the kit as its the laser cut time that cost the most. If this what cutomers want then I'll start pounding away on the computer for these extra parts. I guess alot of them could be cut slightly oversized to account for some triming required.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 08:39 PM
Ottawa Canada
Joined Feb 2004
810 Posts
Beta build of SHARK-E testing new parts.

Hi Tram!

Iam going to post photo's of the Beta build Iam doing on commission for our local club. If all go well this weekend you could have your Beta version ordered on Monday from Peter Richards of http://welasercut.com No more Shark-E's will be avail to the public till next updates are ready and I'll show the modifications to this beta version by building a vac-u-formed nose cone and adding some more simple laser cut parts to the pile.

These photo's will help you get yours going and I hope everyone else enjoys the build as I do this.

Tonight I took all the laser cut parts needed to build the fuselage and then got started. In about 2 hours I had step 1-6 done and I didn't even need to build it over the plans as it simply jiged/notched eveything together. All the tabs and slots build a super straight fuse! Wow this was so neat for me and the new 1/16" ply tail top/bottom parts made this part of building so easy.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 08:54 PM
Ottawa Canada
Joined Feb 2004
810 Posts
Pics not in correct order but!

Ok the pictures didn't come out in exact order I uploaded them but you can see the progress I made in a couple of hours.

If you like this build and like what you see please add your comments! I would like to start a list of names for the next version. Maybe Christmas? it will be ready for sale. I'll forward the list to Peter Richards of welasercut.com and he can then start stocking up on wood etc if need be. He would then work his way through the list from the first recieved date. Simply state I in I want one then Give me your name and email for now.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 09:34 PM
Fresno, CA
Joined May 2005
1,162 Posts
Ken, I dont have tons of experience with the electrics but I have some. How does the Eflite 15 compare to an Eflite park 480 brushless outrunner? How much do you think these will be?
Old Sep 14, 2006, 09:35 PM
Fresno, CA
Joined May 2005
1,162 Posts
how many amps are you pulling?
Old Sep 15, 2006, 06:36 AM
Ottawa Canada
Joined Feb 2004
810 Posts
This is first Electric model

Ok Iam very new at this electric model stuff so I will tell you what I do know.
Iam not sure how many amps I pull - I don't have much of Egear the other guys have but will try and find out when I go flying again this weekend!

I was told E-flite had electric motors that are suppose to be the = to 2stroke gas motors therfore .15 is the same as E-flight power 15. I will say this is basically true as it does fly very much like the old .15 size one I built a few years ago! Mind U the head/muffler hanging out detracts greatly from looks!

Power 15 BL,950Kv
Input Watts : 425W
Resistance : .03 ohms
Idle current: 2.00A
Continuous Current: 34A
Max Burst Current: 42A

Cells nicad 8-12
Lipo's 3/4

engine weight 5.4oz 152g
1.4in dia round
shaft .5mm
engine length 1.9in or 50mm

I uses Castle Creations Phonix 65 speed control
2100 Thunderpower 3S lipo's

IF I run it very hard for long time the battery will get a bit warm
With the big cooling chin scoop - speed control and lipo's get great airflow
Engine has scoop built in above the engine. Engine is never hot when I land.

I did play with a few props to find one that gave me lots of speed.
APC 8in dia with 10 pitch. Mind you I've hit around 150km/hr on the radar gun this way.
Last edited by Ken Park; Sep 15, 2006 at 06:56 AM.
Old Sep 16, 2006, 07:18 PM
Ottawa Canada
Joined Feb 2004
810 Posts
The build continues today!

Got some work done today!

Got the rear fake jet exhaust tube area done! 1/32 sheet bent around the bottom. Did it in one piece on the second model this time.

Then Epoxied the F1 firewall into place and added UF-1 bulkhead.

Then added front bottom 1/2" triangular stock

Last I did the top 1/16" sheet from F1 to UF1
Old Sep 16, 2006, 07:48 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,250 Posts
I like it -

JimNM
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Sep 16, 2006, 11:41 PM
EDF Addicted
Ocala,Florida
Joined Sep 2005
5,397 Posts
I, Kyle Hornberger rcdude51@aol.com
MustangAce17 is offline Find More Posts by MustangAce17
Old Sep 16, 2006, 11:47 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,301 Posts
Looking good, Ken..

I'm just curious, you mentioned there will be some changes in this build for the next "kits."

What sort of changes are you talking about? I may wait and pick up one of the "final" versions, as long as I'll be able to get one..

I really love the lines of this bird..
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Sep 17, 2006, 07:09 AM
Ottawa Canada
Joined Feb 2004
810 Posts
speed of construction for the builder!

Iam try to speed up the contruction phase for the builder by adding parts to laser list that I normally would simply measure/cut and glue.

Example the bottom of fuse is a simple 1/8" sheet balsa. - I can take the time add this part to the laser cutting file. Another area could be a slightly large 1/16" cross grain sheer webs could be laser cut - same goes for most if not all the 1/32" wing sheeting.

The Beta model at this time provides all the sheet wood need to do these things.

The only area I want to really change is to elimated a whole bunch of wood that needed for the nose cone area of the build. Iam going to do one in wood then cut it off the model then produce a vac-u-formed part to replace all that wood and time needed to build the nose cone in this design. Again this should really help with the time of construction in the SHARK-E.

I got 3-5 guys from my own club who are going for the Beta build cause they can't wait for the newer version to be ready. I don't plan on putting this design out to the public on Peter Richards site till its got the newest version ready - maybe Christmas?

If you can wait then put yourself on the builders list like Kyle did a post or so above yours He's #1 on the list for the next version. and will get his first of the factory floor. Thanks Kyle! your #1
Last edited by Ken Park; Sep 17, 2006 at 07:24 AM.