HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 11, 2006, 12:12 PM
A bit more epoxy
Huntsville Al
Joined Dec 2005
127 Posts
Help!
New to gas - things to buy

I've been scratch building and flying electrics, wood and foam, for a number of years but becasue of limited space never ventured into gas. I recently moved to area where I have the room to get into the bigger planes and need some help. I need to outfit a field box from scratch and dont want to spend a great deal of money on the learning curve. I dont have anything gas related yet and would like a list from experienced pilots who know. I would like to have equipment that will grow with the scale of the engine and plane. Thanks for any help you can lend.
mnewman is offline Find More Posts by mnewman
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2006, 12:36 PM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,453 Posts
The equipment will be the same regardless of plane size. Just depends if you want convenience or not... Chicken stick or electric starter, Electric fuel pump or hand crank, etc. When I first started, I flipped my motor by hand (chicken stick - cheap), had a hand pump for my fuel (cheap) and a battery with a glow clip - cheap).
Mike

To get an idea, go to tower and search on field boxes.. at the bottom I believe are some complete Kits - box/tote and the electric items.. all inclusive about 100 bucks. Thats the price of a big lipo so not to bad!
field box link: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXL419&P=7

Mike
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin
Old Sep 11, 2006, 12:46 PM
A bit more epoxy
Huntsville Al
Joined Dec 2005
127 Posts
After the a handful of years learning about electrics getting into gas engines is a little daunting. Mainly, my fear is the investment, only to find that everyone with experience use different gear.
mnewman is offline Find More Posts by mnewman
Old Sep 11, 2006, 01:23 PM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnewman
After the a handful of years learning about electrics getting into gas engines is a little daunting. Mainly, my fear is the investment, only to find that everyone with experience use different gear.

LOL.. i stayed away from electrics b/c of the investment... batteries to run the big planes are big bucks not to mentions high amp ESC's... it's all perspective I guess...

If your good electronically.. many people make their own starters, fuel pumps, etc... I'm sure there's threads on it. But for the 19 bucks for a power panel, hand or electric pumps run 20 or less... glo plug igniters are 20 or... or can get the clips for power panel for less than 10... just easier to buy it in my case. You do need fuel and i see that as the only recurring cost that differs from electric.
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin
Old Sep 11, 2006, 03:28 PM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,417 Posts
Gas or glow?

Glow:
1. Chicken stick or electric starter. If electric starter is used you need a 12V battery and a charger for it.

2. Glow igniter (AKA glow starter, glow driver). I prefer the self contained ones that use a NiCd cell - in this case you need a charger for it but the charger is usually included.

3. Spare glow plug(s) of the type the engine is using - there are different glow plugs for different engines. You'll need a glow wrench - usually calle a 4-way wrench as it has 4 different sizes of hex heads - one for the glow plug and three for different crankshaft propnuts.

4. Fuel pump for glow fuel with some silicone tubing. The pump can be either hand crank or electric. If it is electric you use the 12V battery described in #1. If you have a field box (see #8) a power panel might be handy for you - it acts as a junction between the 12V battery and the electric starter and pump.

5. Glow fuel - I prefer Omega 10% as it contains some castor oil which provides better protection of the engine against wear.

6. Spare props - you'll find out soon that they are consumables as fuel is.

7. Rope and a big screwdriver - drive the screwdriver into the ground and tie the plane to it with the rope so when you start the engine the plane doesn't roll forward and the prop hit you.

8. Something to carry all above stuff to and from the field. Could be a field box, a tool box with wheels, a cart. I use one of them red RadioFlyers - I'm a RadioFlyer myself, ain't I?

Ivan
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2006, 03:47 PM
Cross City, FL
Joined Apr 2006
186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermalin
The equipment will be the same regardless of plane size. Just depends if you want convenience or not... Chicken stick or electric starter, Electric fuel pump or hand crank, etc. When I first started, I flipped my motor by hand (chicken stick - cheap), had a hand pump for my fuel (cheap) and a battery with a glow clip - cheap).
Mike

To get an idea, go to tower and search on field boxes.. at the bottom I believe are some complete Kits - box/tote and the electric items.. all inclusive about 100 bucks. Thats the price of a big lipo so not to bad!
field box link: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXL419&P=7

Mike
I started out with this field kit. I haven't really had to get anything else. I did get a battery-powered glow starter. Those are handy.
chadtheguru is offline Find More Posts by chadtheguru
Old Sep 12, 2006, 05:19 AM
Suspended Account
Pulaski, NY
Joined Jan 2006
111 Posts
Welcome to the World of glow! I bought both Electric and Glow Planes. Personally I won't buy another Electric Plane again. If you don't buy Brushless Motors, the motors themslves have a limited life span... not to mention the batteries as well.

I've spent less on my Glow Planes, plus I've had way less few problems. I've never seen a Electric Plane last 15 years like my OS 40 ts Goldberg Eagle.

Sure our planes get slimed after a run, cleaning is part of the fun. Plus It gives me time to chat with people in my club. Nothing beats the sound or the smell of Glow engines running, It's a new drug for me.

One thing I noticed, is that a good number of Fuel/Glow planes seem to handle like a full size planes. I should know... I once had a Solo Permit. With the Electric planes I've had, I could turn on the dime without much Wing Stall... and fly the darn thing like a bug.

Another thing I hated about Electric is I had to buy 4 or 5 Batteries, so I could charge them in rotation at the field in order to keep flying. And you and I know Batteries aren't cheap! There were times I still had to wait 20 minutes for those things to charge without making them catch on fire because of excessive Amp Rate, or forgot to keep track of the time.

Now I know why many " Old Timers " refuse to switch over. The Glow Technology has advanced more than the Electric Planes so to speak. We are no longer in the days of the Spring Starters. It's just my opinion... the only thing nice about the Electric Planes is I never had to Fuel Proof them, and they are good for a Park etc.

Here is a Pic of my 15 year Goldberg Eagle. The Engine still runs as good as new to the day she was built. I've never had a problem with it at all.

I'm currently building a CMP Focke Wulf FW-190, and I plan on buying a Second Plane that isn't so complicated to fly like a Warbird. I want another year under my belt before I attempt to fly her. But I'll worry about that this Fall or winter... what I want to buy, or build next.

Peter Dowling aka Luftwaffe Oberst
AMA District II # 56404
Aero Modelers Club
Pulaski, NY
LuftwaffeOberst is offline Find More Posts by LuftwaffeOberst
Last edited by LuftwaffeOberst; Sep 13, 2006 at 06:06 AM.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 10:45 AM
jimi hendrix
Joined Apr 2006
1,509 Posts
the thinks you need:

lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of things
spitfire123 is offline Find More Posts by spitfire123
Old Sep 13, 2006, 02:10 PM
USA, MO, St Charles
Joined Nov 2005
985 Posts
I was in the same boat.

Starter (had this)
Rechareable Glow ignitor
Fuel tubing (not really cheap and you need extra for the fuel can, fill and vents for the plane)
Various filters clunks and check valves
Fuel can fittings for the cap
Power panel (for controlling pump and stuff)
Electric Fueler (only a couple bucks more than crank version)
Fuel
Digital Tach
Rollable tool box
Calcium acid battery for powering equipment (or old car battery)
Charger for above battery
Motor break-in stand (optional but it doesnt hurt to to initial tuning b4 mounting it to the plane)
RX battery

After all of this I could've gone electric with my .40 size warbird. Thats ok because I want some Fuel experience.
patrick181 is offline Find More Posts by patrick181
Old Sep 13, 2006, 05:18 PM
Suspended Account
Pulaski, NY
Joined Jan 2006
111 Posts
Yes many people who are into Glow talk about switching over to Electric. I've seen two people who went over to Electric from Glow and decided to go back. I personally started in Electric, and decided to go Glow.

I made that decision when I first compared the flight characteristics between my Electrics and Glow. Glow is well worth the money, it's always expensive to get started.

But once we have what we need, Glow/Fuel Planes are better and cheaper in the long run. All me and Joe spent on my 15 year Goldberg Eagle was Fuel, an occational Glow Plug, Once every 3 years a 12v Battery, 2 years I solder up 6 Nicads for my Receiver.

Electric Planes you have to replace batteries every year if you fly alot. I know Hobby Lobby is trying to push everyone into Electric Aircraft. I tried it, and like I said...Electric only brought me hassels in the long run.

Plus all the different Batteries and SC's and Motors can be quite confusing. You have to be knowledgable in electronics, and most people aren't.

AMA District II # 56404
Aero Modelers Club
Pulaski, NY
Old Sep 14, 2006, 07:43 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,561 Posts
And once you go to gas from glow, you'll never look back. LOL
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Sep 14, 2006, 08:30 AM
God's gift to mankind for flying anything.
Joined Aug 2004
3,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump
Do we know for sure what he wants ?

Gas, like in Benzin, Petrol ??

Glow fuel ??
indoruwet is offline Find More Posts by indoruwet
Old Sep 14, 2006, 09:17 AM
Suspended Account
Pulaski, NY
Joined Jan 2006
111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump
LOL, I'm not worthy enough yet.

AMA District II # 56404
Aero Modelers Club
Pulaski, NY
Old Sep 14, 2006, 02:06 PM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,561 Posts
There's no magic to gas. If you can operate a chain saw or leaf blower you can fly with gas.

I like it because it doersn't require all the parafenallia that glow does. No glow igniter, chicken stick/starter. no starter battery. No mess. Just take your plane, radio, and a gallon of gas. Nothing else needed.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump