HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 11, 2006, 11:00 AM
Joined Sep 2006
8 Posts
Discussion
hi i'm new! and i've got questions...

http://www.wonderhobby.com/nevercrecodr.html

that is what i'm thinking of getting but after doing lots of searches, i can't figure out if this a decent heli or not. my first thought was the hummingbird v4, but the one i linked to looks similar and it's a lot cheaper.

so is that a decent heli to start off with? also, has anyone ever ordered from wonderhobby before and have a review of that company?

i'm perfectly willing to shell out a bit more money if it means going to a place with a better reputation.

thanks in advance.
korosu is offline Find More Posts by korosu
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2006, 11:58 AM
Permanently Banned
Joined Nov 2005
1,014 Posts
Honestly I'd say at this point, go a Blade CP PRO, you can get one used for about 200 shipped...

Its harder to fly initially but you won't outgrow it as fast as any F/P or any coaxial heli.

Just my Opion.

I will also include a so anybody who thinks i'm being rude knows I am being nice, and that Jesus loves you all!
Z400Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Z400Flyer
Old Sep 11, 2006, 12:12 PM
Joined Sep 2006
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z400Flyer
Honestly I'd say at this point, go a Blade CP PRO, you can get one used for about 200 shipped...

Its harder to fly initially but you won't outgrow it as fast as any F/P or any coaxial heli.

Just my Opion.

I will also include a so anybody who thinks i'm being rude knows I am being nice, and that Jesus loves you all!

i looked at the BCP pro and pretty much dismissed it at first because i really wasn't planning on doing any aerobatics. that and the thought of having to control collective pitch seemed a bit daunting.

so stupid noob question...i'm guessing i could just leave the collective pitch completely alone when first learning to fly the thing right?
Old Sep 11, 2006, 12:30 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined Nov 2005
1,014 Posts
DO not be scared of COllective pitch...It is a bit harder to learn at first, but you can go farther with it, just because a Honda does 140mph does it mean you'll do it...Of course not but just incase your on cops most wanted you may need that extra 4.5hp the Ex model gives you.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 01:19 PM
Joined Sep 2004
206 Posts
I have a honeybee cp2 basically the same as a blade, not sure it the blade has the idle up switch (most likely does) but as long as you donít flip that switch no worries about the negative pitch from the collective flies like normal. I went from a blade cx to the cp2, and was hovering after a couple of packs. as said before just because it has the potential to do 3d does not mean you have to but as time goes on and you get better most likely 3d will be your next move. I'm no where near that point yet but it will come.
zenchal26 is offline Find More Posts by zenchal26
Old Sep 11, 2006, 01:21 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined Nov 2005
1,014 Posts
Blade has a idle up...I am not sure how they do their programming...Most idle up "real" setups will add headspeed and pitch, and also negative pitch once the switch is on...But for starting the heli you don't want 100% head speed and -9 pitch, so you spool up in normal then flip to idle up.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 01:29 PM
Joined Sep 2004
206 Posts
Just saying that as long as you don't flip the switch you don't get neg pitch just the motor slows down so the heli goes down. Also helps if you crash you just drop the stick and the blades stop moving; if switch is on and you do this blades just keep spinning making lots of pieces out of your heli.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 01:31 PM
Joined Sep 2006
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z400Flyer
Blade has a idle up...I am not sure how they do their programming...Most idle up "real" setups will add headspeed and pitch, and also negative pitch once the switch is on...But for starting the heli you don't want 100% head speed and -9 pitch, so you spool up in normal then flip to idle up.

i have no idea what you just said.

but from what i can gather, the transmitter has a switch that will change how the throttle works?
Old Sep 11, 2006, 01:35 PM
Joined Sep 2004
206 Posts
yep switch on constant speed from motor pitch changes to go up or down switch off motor speed varies and you get very little if no neg pitch and lots of pos pitch to go up and down
Old Sep 11, 2006, 01:48 PM
Joined Sep 2005
914 Posts
Walkera helicopter is not the good quality helicopter. Go for the esky cp2 (flying video) or blade cp (or cp pro). They are better helicopters.
4RCHELICOPTERSPA is offline Find More Posts by 4RCHELICOPTERSPA
Old Sep 11, 2006, 02:23 PM
Joined Sep 2006
8 Posts
so far, everyone seems to agree about the blade cp pro, i'd rather not start out with something that expensive but in the long run it'll probably be better than starting out with a FP then going to CP.

i figured with that walkera one, i wouldn't feel so bad about crashing it (it will crash a lot, i can't keep a picco z up in the air without running into something).
Old Sep 11, 2006, 02:42 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,259 Posts
Normally I would not recommend the Blade CP Pro to a beginner. It is not hard to fly but it is even easier to crash. This is due to faster response and higher rotor speed. The Dragonfly is cheap and would allow you some practice. Any helicopter you get will need a careful check out for trim and balance. With a careful step by step approach either could be flown by a beginner. With the Dragonfly you should buy a better charger, with the Blade Pro get a set of trainning gear. Blade Pro comes with a reasonable charger.
Roto Rob is online now Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old Sep 11, 2006, 02:42 PM
Sink stinks
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Apr 2005
4,523 Posts
I would say if you're going to get a RTF heli, you might as well get a cheap FP one. You can't reuse components of CP RTF helis anyway for the most part. Learn on the cheap heli and then buy your own radio and components for a quality model.
Montag DP is online now Find More Posts by Montag DP
Old Sep 11, 2006, 02:46 PM
Seattle, WA
Joined Apr 2006
1,167 Posts
I agree with the previous posts. The collective acts similar to the FP helis when you have the TX swith in "nomal" mode. In other words it flies similar to a fixed pitch heli in normal mode. So flying a Blade in "normal" mode is pretty similar to a fixed pitch heli other than it will be MUCH more sensitive to control inputs which is not the greatest for learning on.

The biggest downside to going straight to a Blade or CP2 is when you crash, it will bend/break more parts since the rotor head is more complex and has more parts. So the cost per crash is going to be higher.

I bought a Honeybee FP2 to learn on and it has saved me a lot of $$ in crash repairs. Plus, I still fly it even though I have a Honeybee CP2 to start learning acro.

If you don't have much RC experience, then I would recommend the Honeybee FP. This is because it will get you going for cheaper in the long haul (parts & frustration). The collective pitch helis can be very frustrating to get tuned. Also it will take experience to learn how to troubleshoot problems. Just my .02. Check this thread out on the HB FP2...www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=458261 You will see a lot of guys having TONS of fun with this cheap (I got mine for $105 shipped) heli.
Flynfrfun
flynfrfun is offline Find More Posts by flynfrfun
Old Sep 11, 2006, 03:14 PM
Arlington, VA
Joined Aug 2006
94 Posts
Hi korosu; I figured that I should jump in with my own opinion since I'm a new heli flyer myself

I purchased a Honeybee FP2 and have loved it. The thing has taken some pretty good crashes and other than breaking part of the battery support (super glue fixed it), nothing has broken. I've hit the walls, ceiling, furniture and ground at various times while learning and just straightened the blades a bit and back to flying. That's one of the pros to a FP machine, they are simpler and so survive crashes better (or so my experience and reading tells me).

You may want to check out the HB II FP thread which is about the Honeybee FP2. There are some good videos and a lot of other information.

[Edit: flynfrfun beat me to it heh]
cameroon is offline Find More Posts by cameroon