Old Sep 11, 2006, 01:30 AM
Will trade wife for heli
Edmonton Alberta Canada
Joined May 2005
700 Posts
Help!
JR G500T setup. What does this mean?

Hi all,

I have a JR Radio (XF421EX 5CH Radio), Corona 120 and JR G500T gyro.

The gyro manual states the following info...

Quote:
Step 1: Set the G500T to the Rate Mode position as
described above.

Step 2: Unhook the control linkage from your servo and swing
the servo arm out of the way. Lightly grasp the pushrod at the
servo end and run the linkage through its entire travel. The
linkage should move through its entire range smoothly with
very little friction and no rough spots. Work on the linkage
system until this is achieved.

Step 3: On your transmitter, set all trimmers (sub-trim, trim
offset, mechanical trim, etc.) to zero. For heli, set the
throttle/pitch stick at exactly the hover position (standard hover
position is 50%). Turn off or zero out both the revolution
mixing up and down and the acceleration mixing.

Step 4: Turn on your receiver and allow the model to remain
totally motionless for 3 seconds. This procedure is necessary
to allow the G500T time to establish and record the center or
neutral positions.
I am having trouble understanding Step 3 to 4. If I set my throttle stick at half way then power the heli, nothing will work because the esc will prevent it.. is this right?

The problem I am currently trying to resolve is that the tail is way to sensitive. As soon as you touch the stick, that tail is gone.

Any ideas? Here is the little gyro manual

Thanks,
Lane
yaremchl is offline Find More Posts by yaremchl
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2006, 03:00 AM
Cape Town, South Africa
Joined Jan 2005
5,157 Posts
The way it works in Futaba land is you set your rudder servo end points via a setting on the Gyro. In the case of a GY401 this is a small control pot that you turn. Setup your linkage and servo end point for maximum pitch range without causing any binding.

On the transmitter you set the rudder EPA to give you your desired piro rate. The higher your rudder end point the higher the piro rate (and sensitivity). I suggest you reduce your rudder EPA. Try 80 to -80.
aragon is offline Find More Posts by aragon
Old Sep 11, 2006, 03:51 AM
Suspended Account
Redding, Ca
Joined Nov 2005
5,040 Posts
When you touch the stick does it just spin out of control and not stop?
Nick J is offline Find More Posts by Nick J
Old Sep 11, 2006, 09:55 AM
Will trade wife for heli
Edmonton Alberta Canada
Joined May 2005
700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragon
The way it works in Futaba land is you set your rudder servo end points via a setting on the Gyro. In the case of a GY401 this is a small control pot that you turn. Setup your linkage and servo end point for maximum pitch range without causing any binding.

On the transmitter you set the rudder EPA to give you your desired piro rate. The higher your rudder end point the higher the piro rate (and sensitivity). I suggest you reduce your rudder EPA. Try 80 to -80.
I only have a LIMIT pot on the gyro used to set the servo travel limits equally. Currently with whatever the factory default is, there is no binding happening.

As per the gyro manual instructions, I have the rudder travel set at +/- 150% I'll try turning them down to +/-80

Nick J: No, it does not spin out of control. It's just VERY sensitive
Old Sep 11, 2006, 12:42 PM
Will trade wife for heli
Edmonton Alberta Canada
Joined May 2005
700 Posts
Actually Nick, if I turn HH off, the tail wips around to the left. Currently, it can only be flown with the HH switch on.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 12:46 PM
Will trade wife for heli
Edmonton Alberta Canada
Joined May 2005
700 Posts
Actually Nick, if I turn HH off, the tail whips around to the left. Currently, it can only be flown with the HH switch on. When I whips around, I can stop it and even make it go to the right, but if I center the stick, the tail will whip around to the left again
Old Sep 11, 2006, 01:00 PM
Cape Town, South Africa
Joined Jan 2005
5,157 Posts
Then you need to trim your center point by adjusting the tail control linkage length. If the tail is turning left your heli is turning right... which means you need to increase the length of the linkage (I think). Do that until it stops spinning when not in HH mode.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 02:04 PM
Will trade wife for heli
Edmonton Alberta Canada
Joined May 2005
700 Posts
When the servo is centered, the tail blades are aligned. If I increase or decrease the linkage length, I will be adding/removing pitch to the blades. Is this OK?
Old Sep 11, 2006, 04:08 PM
Cape Town, South Africa
Joined Jan 2005
5,157 Posts
Yes, that is 100%. From your description it sounds like you need to increase pitch.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 04:10 PM
High Roller designer
Londonderry NH
Joined Mar 2005
1,414 Posts
Quote:
I will be adding/removing pitch to the blades. Is this OK?
Yes, it will take a few times to get it right. Just remember not to move the main trim or the sub trim or the servo will hunt in HH.......Impact
Impact is offline Find More Posts by Impact
Old Sep 11, 2006, 04:17 PM
Rank Amateur
Maumee, Ohio
Joined Sep 2005
773 Posts
The idea is that you need a certain amount of pitch to negate the drag on the rotor as it rotates and that position should be the center point on the servo so that when the gyro finishes it's correction and returns to center, it doesn't go to a point where it just needs to correct again.
cadmonkey is offline Find More Posts by cadmonkey
Old Sep 12, 2006, 10:42 PM
Will trade wife for heli
Edmonton Alberta Canada
Joined May 2005
700 Posts
Well, got the tail piro rate under control. Not sure how thou. Just took things apart and put them back together 20 times until something worked. I just can't get this tail to stop wagging unless I turn HH off.

I'm starting to think that it's not possible to get a Corona in the air with HH and no wag. I've tried turning the gain down, but by the time it stops wagging, I'm at 30-35% and I might as well leave HH off.

This is crappy man... I am really starting to dislike the Corona. The only thing I can think of otherwise is ANOTHER fricken $70 for a digital servo, but that isn't really solving the problem now is it.
Old Sep 13, 2006, 11:34 AM
St-Hilaire,Québec,Canada
Joined Sep 2001
269 Posts
A good (fast) tail servo could help. But if you are at 35% when your tail stop to wag in HH, then use a smaller tail servo arm connect it one hole inner. (this is explained in the manual)

I've been using this gyro for a long time on 2 different helicopter and they where working fantastically.

Hope you get your problem solved.
frebou is offline Find More Posts by frebou
Old Sep 13, 2006, 11:42 AM
Will trade wife for heli
Edmonton Alberta Canada
Joined May 2005
700 Posts
Hi frebou, hmm... I've already moved it in one hole but I'll move it in another hole and see what happens.

What about on the tail? Should that move in a hole or out a hole?
Old Sep 13, 2006, 12:15 PM
High Roller designer
Londonderry NH
Joined Mar 2005
1,414 Posts
Quote:
What about on the tail? Should that move in a hole or out a hole?
First move it on the servo then give it a try and if your gain is still down at 35% then move it out on the tail. When you are at 35% in HH will the tail hold while flying sideways or backwards?.......Impact
Impact is offline Find More Posts by Impact