Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by mrm1, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 09, 2006, 02:51 PM
Fly a LiL' Lower Will Ya!
North Central Florida
Joined Sep 2004
4,811 Posts
Discussion
I Skipped Flying Today for STS-115

I usually fly every Saturday that the weather is favorable, but today was an exception. The daughter wanted a special trip.

She wanted to see Space Shuttle Atlantis lift off from the Kennedy Space Center. We had tried yesterday but got put off. So today we drove back over and was not disappointed.

We viewed the launch from Space View Park in Titusville which is about 12.5 miles from the Launch Pad (39b). From here you could see the pad but not the shuttle on the pad as the shuttle is on the beach side and the pad blocks the view. We had bought a 700 / f 11.6 Telescope yesterday from wal mart and this helped the view out a lot. She got to see it go up thru the scope and it was very clear.

Crowd at the park was very large. We were in the front row as we had arrived 3 hrs before lift off.

11:14 AM - Perfect launch. Great View (best public view short of the KSC on-site sites). Daughter loved it. Good day. Did not mind missing the flight action.

Watch as it pierces the cloud. It looks like the bottom of the cloud is on fire.

Video is shot with a Panasonic DV-52D Mini Digital Video recorder. The camera had a 10x optical zoom with a 700x digital. I was on a tripod and could only get steady and clear up to about 85x optical/digital. I think the 700x is propbably a waste. It is not very clear at 12.5 miles.

Here is the video we shot:

STS-115
mrm1 is offline Find More Posts by mrm1
Last edited by mrm1; Sep 10, 2006 at 08:50 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2006, 05:36 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Mike,

I really wished that we still had Car Passes to give out to Family and CLose friends. However, September 11th, 2001 changed all that.

In the past you were able to be much closer to the Launch complex than being at Titusville, Florida and please send my regards to your daughter and I am glad she was pleased and enjoyed the trip, weather, and viewing of the Space Shuttle Atantis taking off.

You have no idea how much work was put in to this event and please stay tuned to upcoming In-Space activities with the International Space Station Truss structure containing the largest Solor Array panels ever deployed in history!

Carlos
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Last edited by guapoman2000; Sep 09, 2006 at 06:14 PM.
Old Sep 10, 2006, 08:51 AM
Fly a LiL' Lower Will Ya!
North Central Florida
Joined Sep 2004
4,811 Posts
Great Pics Carlos, Is that part of the current payload ... the new solar array add-ons?
mrm1 is offline Find More Posts by mrm1
Old Sep 15, 2006, 05:17 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm1
Great Pics Carlos, Is that part of the current payload ... the new solar array add-ons?
Mike,

Correct, that is the current payload and the one that was launched that day you witnessed with your family.

Solar Array is part of the Truss structure.
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000