HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 08, 2006, 08:54 PM
Joined Sep 2006
5 Posts
Discussion
Need help with engine

New to the sport (very new to the sport, first plane, first engine). I have a O.S. 25 FX engine on a great planes piper cub. I have gotten to the point of testing my engine. Is it normal for the engine to spray(mist) fuel out of the muffler? I have read where people say it is normal for the engine to drip oil, but this is a spray(mist)? Also I built the model with the engine inverted, but I seem to have a difficult time starting the engine while it is inverted. I have since taken the engine off the plane to test and break it in attached to a vice. Engine starts on first try while upright, am I going to have trouble with the engine if I try to install it in my plane inverted? Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. THANK YOU
springboro is offline Find More Posts by springboro
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2006, 09:08 PM
Suspended Account
Everett Wa.
Joined Jun 2001
5,925 Posts
Let me start by asking; how is it attacked to the vice? This could be a deal breaker if it is attached in such a way that the case is distorted.
Konrad
Konrad is offline Find More Posts by Konrad
Old Sep 08, 2006, 09:14 PM
Joined Sep 2006
5 Posts
The engine is still attached to the motor mount, I drilled four holes in a piece of wood attached the motor mount to the wood and tightned the wood in the vice.
Old Sep 08, 2006, 10:59 PM
God's gift to mankind for flying anything.
Joined Aug 2004
3,090 Posts
No problem there if you clamped the wood piece.

While in the vice, have you adjusted the engine for optimum performance ?

Methodology described in sticky in this section. Follow those instructions to the letter, and then try again assembled in your cub.
indoruwet is offline Find More Posts by indoruwet
Last edited by indoruwet; Sep 09, 2006 at 06:33 AM.
Old Sep 09, 2006, 02:01 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,443 Posts
It's not unusual for engines to be trickier to start inverted usually because it's generally easier to flood them and "put the glow out". You'll probably find it's o.k. once you have it tuned and run in properly. If not the solution is pretty simple. Turn the plane over and start it with the engine upright. It will run fine inverted, it's only starting that's the problem.

It's normal for there to be visible exhaust containing unburnt oil coming out of the muffler when the engine is running.

Steve
slipstick is online now Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Sep 09, 2006, 01:22 PM
It's 5 O'clock Somewhere
Dayton, OH
Joined Feb 2006
417 Posts
Since you are new to the sport you should find a local club or someone that has some experience to help you out. The worst thing you could do is figure out how to get the engine running and then crash your plane on the first flight.
RumRunner_1492 is offline Find More Posts by RumRunner_1492
Old Sep 09, 2006, 01:36 PM
Joined Sep 2006
5 Posts
If this the RumRunner in Dayton Ohio (that i'm thinking of), your advice seems sound if it came from a person who at least tried to build and fly a real plane. But coming from a boy like your self the best advice I can give you is Keep on flying your aero ace air pig (what ever that thing is you took to the air field yesterday, and got laughed at). But anyways I might do what you say look up a club and get some help, and when I do get my bird in the air, I'll save you a seat (in the back) and show you what a real plane is about. I hope the winds stay calm today so you can fly your pig. B