HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 08, 2006, 08:11 PM
Joined Sep 2006
8 Posts
Discussion
Can I Fly In The Winter??

I live in PA and it does snow but usually not until jan-feb. it does get pretty cold but would it not be flyable? cuz i really want to get a new plane but if winters coming and i cant fly it then i guess i should wait til spring. also do the clubs fly in the winter? i tried to contact a local club by email but he never responded back. i think it was an old email address. do you know a site a could go to thats always up to date to find a local club? thanks for your help

Jack
shadezzzz is offline Find More Posts by shadezzzz
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2006, 09:49 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,371 Posts
I used to live in the DC area.
Winters there get bad.
We'd fly on windless days.
Sometimes out here in LaLaLand it gets down to the 32F point.
Chicken sticks break at that temp.
Dress warm, keep your head covered, and possibly get some high nitro or diesel fuel to get the motor going. It should run OK once it's warm.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Sep 08, 2006, 10:50 PM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
If you are willing to stand in the weather long enough to fly... the planes are generally able to take it.

I have flown in rain, snow, sleet... I got tired of the weather before the plane had a problem all except one time... flying in freezing rain is not a good idea. Full throttle to land due to ice on the wings is no fun.

A clear garbage bag with the antennae of the TX poked out the bottom makes a good TX protector (stick your hands in the bag... keeps them dry and warmer too) to keep the rain out of the electronics. The plane itself tends to keep the radio's airborne system dry.

There is no such thing as a club e-mail address list that is always up to date.

www.modelaircraft.org (AMA website) has a club finder and they update the listing as often as the clubs give them new e-mail addresses.. thats about as good as it gets.
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Old Sep 09, 2006, 08:01 AM
Joined Sep 2006
8 Posts
thanks for the info guys...ill defenelly use the garbage bag idea if its snowing..ect.
shadezzzz is offline Find More Posts by shadezzzz
Old Sep 09, 2006, 09:18 AM
Master of the Figure "9"
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2005
1,671 Posts
I don't know if it is still made, but years ago somebody made something like an insullated glove that fit over the Transmitter. The advantage to that is you where able to fly without wearing gloves on your hands, yet your hands would still stay warm.

I've also flown in temps around zero F, and found the planes really like the cold, dense air. Only drawback to flying in the cold, besides you getting cold soaked is your batteries don't last as long, so you have to pay close attention to thier state of charge after a couple of flights. I've also used a small propane torch to preheat the engine to make it easier to start (almost a necessity on Cox .049's).

For flying off snow, there are skii's available. Snow flying is a lot of fun and almost like flying off grass. Many clubs have a "Snow Fly" fun fly for the first snow of the year. Like fhhuber506771 mentioned, keep away from freezing rain - it'll bring your plane down like it's been overloaded with bricks.

Hogflyer
hogflyer is offline Find More Posts by hogflyer
Old Sep 09, 2006, 11:32 AM
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
They still make the "Transmitter Glove"... which is basicly a higher tech equiv of the garbage bag idea. Its kind of strange looking (but so is sticking the TX in a bag...)

http://www.racelines.org/products.htm has a pic of one a little above halfway down the page 24 "pounds" (english money... I think about $40)
Old Sep 10, 2006, 08:06 PM
Glenn
United States, WI, Oconto Falls
Joined Jan 2004
2,751 Posts
35F on this day. For me, 10 above is about it.
wellington53 is offline Find More Posts by wellington53
Old Sep 10, 2006, 11:31 PM
Flying RC since 1974
Del Norte, Colorado
Joined Dec 2002
736 Posts
I have a pair of thin wool "liner" gloves that I use below about 40. If it's colder than freezing, I us a transmitter mitten I made from a large scrap of polar fleece. Below 20, I put a chemical hand warmer inside the mitten. Below 0, I stay home anymore and build instead, it just isn't much fun when it's really cold.
ctdahle is offline Find More Posts by ctdahle
Old Sep 11, 2006, 11:02 AM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,371 Posts
Shoot, at 40 below, I'd be thinking "Phoenix is nice this time of year."
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Sep 11, 2006, 02:29 PM
Blissfield, Michigan
Joined Apr 2005
1,100 Posts
Winter flying

Winter air is denser than warm air which makes flying slower more fun. Have flown many winters. True, you may want to preheat the engine a bit so it starts easier and batterys do drain quicker and of course its a good idea to dress for the cold weather. Our club usually has a New Years Day fun fly, but these pictures were taken from my own runways here on my farm. Last January 1st I was the only one flying at the club feild though, maybe there'll be more flyers out there next time.
Maineiac63 is offline Find More Posts by Maineiac63
Old Sep 11, 2006, 02:44 PM
Joined Sep 2005
357 Posts
went on the racelines website BUT THERE is no form of contacting them¬!¬!! all links are dead- ! or if it does work on someones computer instead of ''cannot find ....''
please post here the link or their email address? i want one of those transmitter fleeces....
thanks
http://www.racelines.org/products.htm
jon8889 is offline Find More Posts by jon8889
Old Sep 12, 2006, 11:10 PM
Joined Aug 2006
74 Posts
When i was at school we did som RC planes and we found a big increase in engine performance when it was cold. an engine that would nromaly get 12-13 lbs of thrust would get 15lbs. You may not see that kind of a change but it was fun to see at the time, and made for some fun tunning.

My only sugestion is to not wipe you plane down with water like one of my friends did. He wiped it down to get some gunk off of it, didnt dry it completly, and let it sit while he drank his java. it was 10F that day and the water froze into a thin layer of ice. He got of the ground but came back down really fast...
lvmike is offline Find More Posts by lvmike
Old Sep 15, 2006, 10:42 PM
Flying RC since 1974
Del Norte, Colorado
Joined Dec 2002
736 Posts
All it is is an envelope made of fleece. You can buy a fabric remanant at Walmart for under five bucks, cut it out into a large rectangle about three times the size of your TX, and sew the edges together. Cut a hole in the top for the antenna and you are good to go. The main thing is to make the envelope large enough so that it goes all the way to your elbows, and some elastic around the open end, or maybe a pair of hand holes would be helpful to keep the wind out, but not necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon8889
went on the racelines website BUT THERE is no form of contacting them¬!¬!! all links are dead- ! or if it does work on someones computer instead of ''cannot find ....''
please post here the link or their email address? i want one of those transmitter fleeces....
thanks
http://www.racelines.org/products.htm
Old Sep 16, 2006, 02:46 AM
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
The TX gloves have a clear vinyl window so you can still see your sticks, switches and batt meter or LCD display
Old Sep 16, 2006, 09:35 AM
Flying RC since 1974
Del Norte, Colorado
Joined Dec 2002
736 Posts
Yeah, well the window fogs up immediately if you get snow on your hands, so it's pretty useless.