SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 07, 2006, 08:53 PM
Libertyville, IL
Joined Jul 2006
148 Posts
Discussion
Balancing Corona blades

I got a shiny new set of blades for my Corona today and now I'm wondering how to balance them. I'm still a bit of a newbie at this. The manual that came with the helicopter (I bought it used) talks about balancing the blades by early in the construction process by temporarily mounting the head to the main shaft, placing the main shaft on a table and then balancing the blades that way. Obviously I'd have to take a lot of the helicopter apart to do that now so, I'm wondering if there's an easier way.

If I had a spare main shaft (or had thought to buy one when I ordered blades) I could use that but, I don't have a spare main shaft either.

I also know there are special jogs for balancing blades but, again, I don't have one of those either.

I'm hoping there's an easy shortcut or trick to getting my blades reaonably well balanced without having to order more parts shipped to my house.
tr6_guy is offline Find More Posts by tr6_guy
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2006, 09:30 PM
That'll hold until ...
Hampton Roads Va.
Joined Oct 2004
3,560 Posts
Easiest way I have found is put them on and take a roll of electrical tape with you and a pair of scissors. Fire it up and hover gas it and climb out to set the blades (new blades sometimes need some coaxing to spin out proper) . Hover and see how it does. Put about 1" of tape folded over the leading edge of either blade. repeat. If it is better add more. repeat.

It's pretty quick and easy that way. I've used scales that are accurate to .1 grain and still had vibes. If you spend a little time on the tail, main, and sub rotor you can get them very smooth with no problem.

No matter what I try I usually wind up fine tuning with that method.

Steve
swatson144 is offline Find More Posts by swatson144
Old Sep 07, 2006, 09:48 PM
Australia
Joined Oct 2003
899 Posts
Have a look at the "Blade Balancing" video over here:

http://helifreak.com/viewtopic.php?t...r=asc&&start=0

I balanced mine this way and they are spot on! You've just got to be a little bit creative when finding the CG of the blade since the Corona blades aren't semetrical.

I used the little raised line on the upper leading edge of the Corona blade as a reference point.
Griffo is offline Find More Posts by Griffo
Old Sep 07, 2006, 11:01 PM
Flying on Flux Capacitors
Edmonton, AB
Joined Apr 2005
1,422 Posts
I used Steves's method to with the tape and then spin them suckers up to speed. Found that even statically balanced I was able to pull way more vibs out with the tape method. Even after a pretty major crash (15 foot vortex ring decent) I tore the heli apart, rebuild with the same parts and balanced the mains using the above method an I now have a 99% vib free heli! Get her running smooth as silk and its a totally different beast to fly.

Curt
Flipper_118 is offline Find More Posts by Flipper_118
Old Sep 08, 2006, 03:15 AM
Cape Town, South Africa
Joined Jan 2005
5,157 Posts
Get a precision scale. It's a very useful tool.
aragon is offline Find More Posts by aragon
Old Sep 08, 2006, 05:22 AM
That'll hold until ...
Hampton Roads Va.
Joined Oct 2004
3,560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragon
Get a precision scale. It's a very useful tool.
Weight would probably work well if I had more BT parts. My powder scales are accurate to .0065g but I always have vibes when I use that method on the corona. It works very well indeed on my other helis.

LMH says that tripe about the shafts not being perfect, but I suspect it is because the stock feathering plate is off balance and you have to weight the blades to counter or something.

Balancing the subrotor and then the entire rotor on a prop balancer works very well any time you have to do major dissassembly though.

Steve
swatson144 is offline Find More Posts by swatson144