HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 20, 2001, 02:10 PM
Most Exalted Windbag
Newark, DE USA
Joined May 2001
1,632 Posts
What's it like flying uninvited?

I hear of people talking about flying electrics at school yards. That sounds good to me, there's one nearby that has a big parking lot and baseball and football fields. There are no fences. I've helped pay for it for 40 years.

Can I just show up after daybreak and fly? I have the feeling that an overzealous guard will show up and kick me off. I'm the kind that will be nice and he may want to watch. That worries me too. To have to try and land in one piece with a cop or guard approaching.

There's a nearby park that is nice too, but I believe it's a state park and they don't open until well after daybreak.

I'm sure that cops and the owners of construction sites don't want someone wandering around on them in the wee hours.

Any other suggestions? My yard and tract park have a lot of trees. I don't have a cull de sac.
Red Baron 47 is offline Find More Posts by Red Baron 47
to remove ads between posts
Old May 20, 2001, 02:28 PM
Fish & Fly
Tyler, TX USA
Joined Jul 2000
1,406 Posts
I've never been bothered while flying at a schoolyard/ballfield. I've had several people stop to watch and then ask questions.

Show common sense. Don't fly if there are other people using the field for soccer or jogging. If asked to leave, do so without complaint.
DaJudge is offline Find More Posts by DaJudge
Old May 20, 2001, 02:54 PM
Berkeley, CA USA
Joined Apr 2001
643 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Red Baron 47:
I hear of people talking about flying electrics at school yards. That sounds good to me, there's one nearby that has a big parking lot and baseball and football fields. There are no fences. I've helped pay for it for 40 years.

Can I just show up after daybreak and fly? I have the feeling that an overzealous guard will show up and kick me off. I'm the kind that will be nice and he may want to watch. That worries me too. To have to try and land in one piece with a cop or guard approaching.

There's a nearby park that is nice too, but I believe it's a state park and they don't open until well after daybreak.

I'm sure that cops and the owners of construction sites don't want someone wandering around on them in the wee hours.

Any other suggestions? My yard and tract park have a lot of trees. I don't have a cull de sac.

I just tried to do this this morning at the local schoolyard. look aroiund and see if there is a sign posting hours (there IS at this one). Unfortunately...my Dragonette wasn't up for it this morning, but might make it this evening.

In addition to the don't fly if the field is in use advice...i'd add if the field is in use, stick around and watch. Introduce yourself around. That way, if you are spotted out there, they will think 'Oh, that's so-and-so with his plane' instead of 'who is that stranger'?
Mighty Mik is offline Find More Posts by Mighty Mik
Old May 20, 2001, 02:57 PM
Oxford(ish), England
Joined Feb 2001
389 Posts
Just keep it sensible.

Park flying mean flying park flyers.

Choose something slow, light and harmless and above all QUIET and you should not have a problem.

I've flown all sorts on a local sports field, no one has ever seriously worried me. But I think my Twinjet is about the limit of how big/heavy/fast i'd go. And I only fly that when the field is empty, and leave if people show up to play football. Taking up a whole field (as you really do) for one person is incredably selfish!

One thing that will happen at suburban parks.... spectators! A new hazard when landing. Don't let them put you off.... Though it IS nice when someone tells you how cool your model is and people cheer and clap your aerobatics!

The twinjet attacts a lot of spectators! far more than my twinstar ever did. It's probably because it's so fast and aerobatics look so damned GOOD with it!
gdb1973 is offline Find More Posts by gdb1973
Old May 20, 2001, 03:21 PM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
By all means, don't let spectators put you off.. why I just whack em in the leg.. Dang I wish I had a video of it.
tic is offline Find More Posts by tic
Old May 20, 2001, 05:20 PM
Most Exalted Windbag
Newark, DE USA
Joined May 2001
1,632 Posts
Sounds very encouraging. Just as I'd hoped. My planes will be slow and harmless. The first a Bleriot III, the second, a Gnat.

Thanks
RB

Red Baron 47 is offline Find More Posts by Red Baron 47
Old May 20, 2001, 05:48 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,642 Posts
I only use the fields if no one is around. I've been lucky in that the school yards here are generally empty, early and late on weekends and late during the week.
I've always heard that your plane will find any person on the field sooner or later. I therefore land the plane and go home if anyone else starts to use the field. All it takes is one incident to close ALL the public parks and school grounds because some old (or young) jerk decides to make an issue out of it. Last week, a grounds keeper was mowing the park when I got there and I just sat down on a bench with my plane to wait for him to finish. Much to my surprise, he came over and told me to go ahead and fly, that he'd keep an eye on the plane. So I did, but believe me, I kept that plane away from him..I can imagine the damage that mower would do to my BUD.
Another day, a slimer was out there flying over kids playing soccer . I expected to see a "NO FLYING" sign up the next day, but luckily, he didn't wipe out some kickballer.
Hope your parks stay friendly to electric flyers, after all, we're the nicest people in the world!
hoppy
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old May 20, 2001, 10:29 PM
KLH
Pack Rat
Hayward CA / Valley Springs CA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,778 Posts
I use the local school yards and the street in front of my house early AM and on weekends for my small planes (4oz-10oz) but I go out to the club field with my bigger planes or for the first few flights on a new one. Never had any complaints but the small planes are so quiet I don't think anyone knows I'm there haveing fun.

Kern
KLH is offline Find More Posts by KLH
Old May 20, 2001, 10:47 PM
Garland, Texas
Joined Jul 2000
339 Posts
I am so lucky so far I can walk out my back door and I have a schoolyard that is the size of 3 football fields to fly in not 40 foot from my house with a concrete runway to boot (large, flat alley) with no trees or power lines around. I hope that I can continue to use this "field" for a long time, I am just worried that someone will fire off a glow model and ruin it for me and the 2 other guys who fly off this field
Rekit is offline Find More Posts by Rekit
Old May 20, 2001, 11:05 PM
Texas
Joined Aug 1999
5,110 Posts
I found a local ultra light field. I asked the owners if I could fly there and they said sure. There were a few minor restrictions like not flying over buildings that dot the area, staying on one side of the runway, and landing when the ultra lights are flying nearby, which thankfully isn't often. In general, it has worked out very well.

I also flying a local school that has a very large field. Unfortunately for me and the local practicing duffers, the field may soon be divided up into a little league park with a half dozen or so diamonds, parking areas, and concessions. I don't have a problem with baseball or little league fields and I feel that it is a good idea in principle, except for the location. I may not have to worry since many neighbors of the field don't like the idea of the little league park being in their backyards. When they bought their homes, they were promised that the area would remain a green belt. A fight is being raised to move the ball park to another location. That would suit me fine. I get to keep my flying field, the golfers get to keep their practice driving range, the neighbors get to keep their greenbelt, and the kids still get a little league park, but somewhere else.
dave_lilley is offline Find More Posts by dave_lilley
Old May 20, 2001, 11:21 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,140 Posts
If you have a neighbor with a good-sized chunk of field, drop by, introduce yourself and ask politely if it would be possible to fly there. I did just that last year and have had a 100 acre grass field all to myself since. Turns out he's my mailman and one heckuva nice guy to boot.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old May 21, 2001, 12:06 AM
St Paul, Mn
Joined Apr 2001
365 Posts
I've never had any problem. I've noticed quite a few guards look gratefull for something cool to watch. One time I was at a local schoolyard, well after school was out, maybe 4pm. In the middle of my first flight, I noticed a class of children come out side and I soon landed my plane. Of course, the kids all went nuts, and I thought I'd better pack up quick and find another place. I told the teacher that I would retrive my plane and leave when to my suprise she asked me to stay, she wanted to see it fly and thought her daycare class would like it too. The kids all sat in a group and the teacher got a nice break from having to watch them every single second. It seems to me that most people are so impressed by the plane that it doesnt even occur to them to say anything, if they were so inclined.........Chris
bozmonster is offline Find More Posts by bozmonster
Old May 21, 2001, 12:47 AM
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Dec 2000
82 Posts
Hey dave_lilley I was wondering what Ultra lite field you were talking about. I Live in San Antonio and work on the NE side of city out by Judson Rd and IH 35 and Cibolo is not too far away from me. Where is that field and would they mind another rc flyer out there. Is there someone I need to talk to. I am an AMA member and a member of the San Antonio Prop Busters RC Club so if that is a concern I am covered.
Stormbringer is offline Find More Posts by Stormbringer