HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 07, 2006, 02:41 PM
southport/ raleigh, nc
Joined Jul 2006
288 Posts
Discussion
2.4 radio

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=566018

Would something like this cause a problem with a 2.4 ghz downlink?

What is everyones thoughts about this product and its application to AP?
or does no one even care
sodman12 is offline Find More Posts by sodman12
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2006, 04:10 PM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sodman12
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=566018

Would something like this cause a problem with a 2.4 ghz downlink?

What is everyones thoughts about this product and its application to AP?
or does no one even care

I've got one of those DX6 (or whatever it's called) sets at home. I bought it at the WRAM show but I haven't gotten around to trying it yet. I am hoping that it will stay away from my video channel since it is supposed to scan for what is going on before deciding what frequencies it is going to use and how to switch between them.

If the stuff works well, including not screwing up my video I'll be very happy. If it works well but I can't use it with video I will be less happy. It should not be any kind of problem if you are doing normal AP or storing the video on board rather than using a downlink.

I really hope this stuff doesn't screw up the works with my video goggles.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old Sep 07, 2006, 04:42 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Aug 2005
987 Posts
I'm using a spektrum DX6 tx/rx and a black widow 200mw video downlink. I can tell you from my experience that they DO conflict with each other. It's a weird problem I haven't been able to work out yet. When I'm on the ground, the video works great and the plane is perfectly responsive. When I get off the ground the video is unviewable but the plane still is perfectly responsive. Once I get to maybe 100 feet or so the plane locks out the rx and it's unresponsive until it drops down to a lower altitude (and that is scary). When I take the video downlink off, I can fly the plane as high as I want to without a glitch!

The only thing I haven't tried yet is moving the downlink away from the rx since they are right beside each other. I will probably try that this weekend and post my results here.
IamLegend is offline Find More Posts by IamLegend
Old Sep 07, 2006, 05:30 PM
southport/ raleigh, nc
Joined Jul 2006
288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reelcut
I'm using a spektrum DX6 tx/rx and a black widow 200mw video downlink. I can tell you from my experience that they DO conflict with each other. It's a weird problem I haven't been able to work out yet. When I'm on the ground, the video works great and the plane is perfectly responsive. When I get off the ground the video is unviewable but the plane still is perfectly responsive. Once I get to maybe 100 feet or so the plane locks out the rx and it's unresponsive until it drops down to a lower altitude (and that is scary). When I take the video downlink off, I can fly the plane as high as I want to without a glitch!

The only thing I haven't tried yet is moving the downlink away from the rx since they are right beside each other. I will probably try that this weekend and post my results here.

Sounds like the downlink take the 5 mile range down to 100 feet. not sure if that can be fixed by moving them around. Hopefully someone will come up with a solution since the range with the 2.4ghz is so good.
Old Sep 07, 2006, 08:12 PM
San Diego/Las Vegas
Joined Sep 2004
1,311 Posts
Yes, I heard this same thing from a friend, don't use the Spektrum 2.4 GHz system with a 2.4 GHz video transmitter.

Even if they are on different channels, the RF front-end of each receiver is still getting hit with the powerful signal of the other system and will desensitize the receiver.

They used to make 900 MHz video TX/RX. Maybe you guys can use one of those?

-Vince
vpatron is offline Find More Posts by vpatron
Old Sep 08, 2006, 01:07 AM
southport/ raleigh, nc
Joined Jul 2006
288 Posts
yes,

I have heard (not sure if it is true or not) that the 900mhz is better since it is not as directional and still can carry over a long distance. Anyone else hear this?
Old Sep 16, 2006, 06:30 PM
Toronto Buttonvle, Canada
Joined Aug 2003
403 Posts
Those 2.4 G video links aren't digital they are analog that's why they are such bad news for the Spektrum.
gotak is offline Find More Posts by gotak