Old Sep 07, 2006, 01:40 PM
r/c ships and workboats
bellingham, wa
Joined May 2006
4,533 Posts
Question
San Fransico tug regatta

For any one in the bay area.
The SFMYC had listed their Tug boat regatta set for Sept. 17, 2006 at Spreckles Lake. The web site has not been updated and have herd that this might not be taking place this year. Any one know if it is still a go? Might end up down that way that weekend so I was going to try and make it over.
keith S is offline Find More Posts by keith S
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2006, 02:12 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,810 Posts
I will check my paper calendar when I get a chance and let you know but I recall seeing it on the latest distribution of the club's newsletter which came out at the beginning of this month...

I hope it isn't cancelled! If I lived closer to SF, I would definately volunteer to help with the behind the scenes effort that goes into these events...
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Sep 07, 2006, 11:55 PM
Give the dog a bone
USA, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2005
828 Posts
I E-mailed their commodore. I'll reply if he sends any info.
Boatfox is offline Find More Posts by Boatfox
Old Sep 08, 2006, 11:13 AM
r/c ships and workboats
bellingham, wa
Joined May 2006
4,533 Posts
Thanks guys. Appreciate the help!
Old Sep 10, 2006, 09:25 AM
r/c ships and workboats
bellingham, wa
Joined May 2006
4,533 Posts
Ok. I got the information I needed last night. I will be there on Sunday along with a couple of others from the Pacific NW. Ron Burchett, his son Allen, Gary King and myself are going to make the trip down for the Seaways Cup. We have not been there for about 10 years and we all decided we need a road trip. Will be bringing a bunch of models with us to come have fun. Hope to see those in the northern Califonia/bay area there.
Old Sep 10, 2006, 04:46 PM
victoria, bc
Joined Oct 2003
747 Posts
Sounds like a good one - look forward to hearing about it, and seeing some photos.
mike_victoriaBC is offline Find More Posts by mike_victoriaBC
Old Sep 10, 2006, 07:08 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,140 Posts
Keith,

Randy from NWRCSM mentioned the possiblity of a huge Westcoast event for any and all clubs along the Pacific coast. The tenative proposal would place the event in Tualatin Oregon, and coincide with the Crawfish Festival 2008. Westmoreland pond may also be available by that time, and it may provide a possible venue, though not as accessable for lodgings.
Run this by the SFMYC guys, And see if this is something they would be interested in attending or collaborating on for events and planning.
Umi_Ryuzuki is online now Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Sep 10, 2006, 10:28 PM
Give the dog a bone
USA, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2005
828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keith S
Ok. I got the information I needed last night.
Glad to hear this is on. Maybe I'll dust off a boat and keep you guys from up North honest. Don't want you walking away with all the trophies.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 08:48 AM
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Feb 2006
1,111 Posts
I am sure it will be a fun and interesting "Road Trip"
smart_racer is offline Find More Posts by smart_racer
Old Sep 11, 2006, 11:12 AM
r/c ships and workboats
bellingham, wa
Joined May 2006
4,533 Posts
Umi, will do that. This road trips are fun as we usally do one every 3-4 years. Boat geeks on the road, sounds like the start of a bad country song.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 09:25 PM
Give the dog a bone
USA, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2005
828 Posts
It was a GREAT (and Hot) Sunday in San Francisco. We had 36 boats entered from 21 captains. Here are some basic coverage shots of the set up. First we have the captains meeting and the course. Not bad with a few sneaky spots to mess you up. Average of two to three boats on the course at any time, not to mention folks getting their practice in. Some of the sticking points were the "Emanon" 180 turn at dock side. The mearest bump or contact lost you a point. (bad time to glitch) Sounds easy, but there was no way to hold the bow off the dock when she came around. Only one person scored the full 20 points as far as I know. (Z-Tech tug) The so called "drunken monkey" at gate 10 caused much confusion also. Stopping for 5 sec at the re-fuel area (gate 11) ended up being a contest of depth perception for some, and playing hold still in the wind for others. At the other side of the course the dreaded channels caught a few tugs, but for the most part it was ann excellent course with just enough to keep people on their toes.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 09:43 PM
Give the dog a bone
USA, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2005
828 Posts
Here are some of the contestants boats. Many types ranging from small log broncs and springers to Darby's and modern Z-tugs. Full range of light weights to amazons. More on the big boats in a minute.
Last edited by Boatfox; Sep 18, 2006 at 10:03 PM.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 09:44 PM
victoria, bc
Joined Oct 2003
747 Posts
Thanks for posting those - a few more showing boats, etc would be great!
Mike (Victoria BC)
mike_victoriaBC is offline Find More Posts by mike_victoriaBC
Old Sep 18, 2006, 09:51 PM
Give the dog a bone
USA, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2005
828 Posts
Another Springer hiding under a cute (and working) tanker. The barges for the event. The heaviest at about 400lbs. middle weight roughly 275lbs. and assortment of lighter ones. The Emanon getting loaded up with the additional 155lbs of water weight.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 10:02 PM
Give the dog a bone
USA, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2005
828 Posts
More boats coming..I have like 120 pics and movies to sort out... Some good, some not so much.
Did someone say power tugs?? we'll start with this one. Not quite finished yet, but what a monster. Gene S. Falcon. Weighing in around 110lbs loaded, she runs 24vlts through two 3/8 drive shafts. I heard surplus garbage disposal motors. One motor gave her umpf...two motors was enough to push you back a bit if you tried to hold her down. The motors are going to two ~5 1/2" 5 bladed props working inside 6" korts. I asked what the amp draw was but got no answer. LOL ~30-40 amps is what I'm going to guess. (I think the info is correct)