HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 14, 2002, 07:19 PM
Cedar Rapids, IA, USA
Joined Jul 2001
81 Posts
The thing I hate the most! or A couple questions on mounting servos in wings

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest!

Here are my 2 simple questions:

1. If you use the shrink sleeve wrapped servo method, what glue sticks to the shrink wrap? I tried epoxy, but that did not stick at all. I did clean the shrink wrap with alcohol before applying the epoxy.

2. Does anybody know of a good source for a SMALL offset (right angle) phillips screwdriver, that will let you remove servo control horns after the servo is glued in the wing?

Answer to these question would make life GREAT.

Joe

PS I tried the Hobby Lobby servo mounts, and they ALMOST worked! Too big, too high, even after cutting them down.
smokinjoe is offline Find More Posts by smokinjoe
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2002, 07:25 PM
Union Hall, VA
Joined Jul 2002
168 Posts
Don't know about the offset screwdriver; but, try probond glue for the servo.
Luke Mitchell is offline Find More Posts by Luke Mitchell
Old Aug 14, 2002, 07:32 PM
Crashez-vous sans stress!
Chicago
Joined Nov 2001
374 Posts
My preference is for wrapping servos with wide masking tape, or in a pinch, clear packing tape, then gluing in with clear silicone sealant. Lay a 6" piece of dental floss (mint flavor) down in the silicone and put the servo on top of it. This can help if you ever want to get the servo out.
Dan H. is offline Find More Posts by Dan H.
Old Aug 14, 2002, 08:18 PM
San jose, CA
Joined Jun 2000
426 Posts
Clear silicon works great, but I disagree about the dental floss. I find the cinnamon flavor works much better
tempest411 is offline Find More Posts by tempest411
Old Aug 14, 2002, 09:16 PM
Tragic case
Sydney Australia
Joined Feb 2002
5,866 Posts
What about hot melt glue? This appears to have enough strength to easily hold in the servos, and can also be removed relatively easily?
davidleitch is offline Find More Posts by davidleitch
Old Aug 14, 2002, 11:30 PM
North Hills
Joined Nov 1999
6,073 Posts
Hot glue is really brittle, and will fail at the most inopportune time (ask me how I know). If you use shrink wrap over the servo, scuff it up with some sandpaper before you epoxy it and it will work just fine.

I just scuff up the servo and glue them in with a mixture of epoxy and microballoons, about the same consistency as toothpaste. Strong enough to hold the servo in the wing, but you can still bust ‘em out if you need to. If you have the room, put down a layer of fiberglass in the servo bay, let it dry overnight, and glue your servos in the next day.

Pete
SchiessCo is offline Find More Posts by SchiessCo
Old Aug 15, 2002, 12:58 AM
Chemically Corrected
San Diego, Ca
Joined Apr 2001
682 Posts
Heres another one, wrap the servos in saran wrap and put some 5 min epoxy in the hole, enough to ooze up the sides a bit. Now put the wrapped servo in and let the epoxy kick, pull it out and remove the saran wrap. Now you have a very tight fitting servo bay and you can put some masking tape around the servo and install it with a dab of silicone or goop. Easy to remove by cutting the masking tape.
Get a really cheap set of jewelers screwdrivers, they can be bent with a pair of plyers.
Grapeape is offline Find More Posts by Grapeape
Last edited by Grapeape; Aug 15, 2002 at 01:05 AM.
Old Aug 15, 2002, 04:41 AM
Supersonic Engineering
UK, Greater London, Uxbridge
Joined Mar 2001
3,098 Posts
Those who advocate wrapping a servo with tape before gluing it in have obviously never had to remove one from a fragile model! The tape sticks to the servo case just as much as the glue itself! My now preferred method is to use thin, low-temp, shrinkwrap on the servo, rough it up a little and then de-grease it and use Pacer Zap-a-dap-a-Goo to glue it in. To get the servo out, you simply slit the shrinkwrap and remove the servo.

As for removing that small screw which holds the servo arm on after the servo is in place - it's almost impossible in most models, so try to plan things so you don't have to!
GordonTarling is offline Find More Posts by GordonTarling
Old Aug 15, 2002, 01:57 PM
Chemically Corrected
San Diego, Ca
Joined Apr 2001
682 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GordonTarling
Those who advocate wrapping a servo with tape before gluing it in have obviously never had to remove one from a fragile model! The tape sticks to the servo case just as much as the glue itself!
Not if you use the blue low tack masking tape!
Grapeape is offline Find More Posts by Grapeape
Old Aug 15, 2002, 05:29 PM
Cedar Rapids, IA, USA
Joined Jul 2001
81 Posts
Great Answers!

Great Ideas for tough problems.

Thanks to all. I like the one about bending a cheap jewelers screwdriver.

Joe
Old Aug 15, 2002, 07:03 PM
Ahhgh! Not ANOTHER new plane!
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2001
2,700 Posts
Dymond sells their servos with a mount set that allows it to be placed flat in a wing....
Robert Stinson is offline Find More Posts by Robert Stinson
Old Aug 15, 2002, 07:59 PM
Cedar Rapids, IA, USA
Joined Jul 2001
81 Posts
Dymond servos

But...

Are the mounts meant to be screwed into the mounting surface?

That doesn't work too well for wings.
Old Aug 15, 2002, 10:13 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
- PFM or Marine Goop to attach the servos. Silicone works well too, but I only like this when the servo is restrained from lateral movement (like in a foam recess).
- If you have to remove the arm, you screwed something up. I have never had to remove the servo arm after installation (in about a dozen models).. That said, if you have to, cut the shrink, do what you have to do, and reshrink and glue it back in.
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Aug 16, 2002, 12:15 PM
Flt 76..N.bound..feet dry
Baltic CT, USA
Joined Dec 2000
263 Posts
Servo Mounts

I have used the Hitech AH56307 servo mounts in a foam wing (The Art Hobby Fantasy III wing comes preped for it) Except for the mounting screws which were hard to screw in the first time, they really work well. You can unscrew the cover the servo can now slide up & you can get at the servo arm screw very easily. If I had a built up wing I would insert a piece of foam trim to fit the wing & then use the servo mount.

Works for me, but your mileage may vary.

Al Sharog
AllenS is offline Find More Posts by AllenS
Old Aug 16, 2002, 05:14 PM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
Be VERY careful using "zap a dappa goo" or goop for gluing in servos.. If you use to much, when it cures, it'll warp obecchi sheeting.. ask me how I know.
tic is offline Find More Posts by tic