Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 07, 2006, 03:01 AM
Iraq - Baghdad
Joined Oct 2005
95 Posts
Help!
Diesel engine fuel blend & tuning

Hi every body
A diesel engine of small size was dedicated to me by a friend, never run before.
It has a variable copression ratio adjusted by wing screw on cylider head, and has a fixed throttle by needle screw on carburator installed in the rear of engine , it's Russian .
Could you please tell me the blend of fuel and more important the steps of adjusting compression ,and how to tune it ?

Thanks
Majid
Majid Al Khafaji is offline Find More Posts by Majid Al Khafaji
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2006, 06:18 AM
Oxford Panic
United Kingdom, Oxford
Joined Feb 2003
3,654 Posts
Majid,

For common model Diesel fuel formulae see the PAW engines web site...

http://www.eifflaender.com/instruct.htm

using a "running-in" mix should get you going.

Finding a good position to get the engine running first time can be difficult.

With the compression screw slackened off and the fuel needle open about 2 turns, make sure the the engine is primed by choking the air intake and flipping over the prop. Keep flipping the prop over and tightning the compression screw. It should eventually fire. If the engine starts but only with the prop bouncing of the compression and reversing in an oscillating motion, the compression is too tight or there is too much fuel in the engine. Keep trying different settings of the needle and compression until the engine runs. Once running, the way to get it to peak RPM is to progressively lean out the needle and tighten the compression. A little of each at a time listening to the engine note. Every time the compression is tightened the engine will run with a harsh tone until the mixture is leaned then the revs will pick up. Too little fuel for a compression setting and it will stop, too little compression for the mixture and the engine will burble.

Best of luck,
Andy.
AndyOne is offline Find More Posts by AndyOne
Old Sep 07, 2006, 11:46 AM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,355 Posts
Use 1:1:1 proportion of diethyl ether, kerosene (parafine) and castor oil for break in. Later you can change the ratio to 30:40:30, 40% being the kerosene.

Ivan
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 08, 2006, 02:34 AM
Iraq - Baghdad
Joined Oct 2005
95 Posts
Thank you guys
One last question :
Kerosine is considered to be heavy fuel , so Ether is used to add "volatile characteristic" to Kerosine , so , is there any replacement to Ether such as Acetone ? since .... I'm living in Iraq guys !!!.

Majid
Old Sep 08, 2006, 09:02 AM
S.A.D. member
Joined Dec 2004
9,355 Posts
No, there's no alternative to ether. The kerosene used in model diesel engines is closer in characteristics to jet fuel (but has less sulphur as far as I know) than to diesel fuel. I don't know how it is called in your country. I think in the UK they call it parafine (sp. ?). Anyway, it is the one used for camping lamps and lanterns.

Ivan
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 08, 2006, 10:17 AM
Oxford Panic
United Kingdom, Oxford
Joined Feb 2003
3,654 Posts
If you ask a professional chemist for ether, he will say which one as there is more than one type of ether. Specifically, for model Diesel engines, you will need diethyl ether which is a sweet smelling organic liquid used AFAIK as an early anaesthetic.

Andy.
AndyOne is offline Find More Posts by AndyOne
Old Sep 08, 2006, 11:39 AM
S.A.D. member
Joined Dec 2004
9,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyOne
If you ask a professional chemist for ether, he will say which one as there is more than one type of ether. Specifically, for model Diesel engines, you will need diethyl ether which is a sweet smelling organic liquid used AFAIK as an early anaesthetic.

Andy.
Yeap, that's the one - widely available because of its primary use as an anaesthetic as Andy mentions.

Ivan
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 09, 2006, 04:08 AM
Iraq - Baghdad
Joined Oct 2005
95 Posts
Hi Ivan
Indeed in my country (the richest country of oil) ,but we've no fuel to run our home generators !we call it Kerosens asell , we use it to warm our houses using stoves .

Majid
Old Sep 09, 2006, 09:35 PM
S.A.D. member
Joined Dec 2004
9,355 Posts
I guess the kerosene you have (stove fuel) is suitable for model diesel engines. Get diethyl ether from a pharmacy or a hospital (if you can). As far as I know medical grade castor is not very good for glow engines but I've used it successfully for diesel engines and they lasted forever - I guess the kerosene also provided some additional lubrication and diesel engines don't run as hot as their glow cousins, so medical grade castor might be quite good in your case.

Ivan
RCG Plus Member