HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 14, 2002, 03:48 PM
Austin, Texas
Joined Jun 2001
908 Posts
My first post in this forum :) Question about Modeltech Extra 300

Ok im running a 11 x 7 prop but it is not a E prop is that ok? I running a Aveox geared setup. I have a 8 cell and 10 cell battery pack of RC1700's for it. Im going to keep some CP1700's though or should i get some 2400's? What is the best way to mount the pack? I need some detailed pics of how you guys setup a removable battery slot. I saw one pic of the hinged canopy that is probally what i am going to do. Also i have heard this little sucker snaps if you pull back to hard, at what speed do you have to be going and what do the throws have to be at. Thanks!
JStory is offline Find More Posts by JStory
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2002, 02:08 AM
Caution:Makes sharp left turns
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Feb 1999
6,014 Posts
Modeltech Extra

Here is a long thread about some Modeltech Extra-300 conversions. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...odeltech+extra
I am still flying mine and it is a great show off plane. As you'll see in the thread, I did a few mods to get it lighter and have some more aerobatic agility. The best thing I did though was go to bigger ailerons. It increased the wing area and lowered the wing loading noticeably. I would say that you will want to ditch the gas prop as soon as possible but it may fly with it ok for now. You will see a big difference after you switch. What Aveox do you have going in it? I am running a 1409-2Y on a 2.38 Astro Gearbox, swinging a 12X6 APC-E on 10-11 cells 2400mah. With moderate throttle management, I am getting between 5-6 minute flights depending on how much vertical stuff I do.
I can't help you much on the throws since I am running bigger control surfaces, but I'd say use the reccommended throws in the instructions.
Troy is offline Find More Posts by Troy
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 15, 2002, 02:10 AM
Joined Feb 1999
6,014 Posts
Battery hatch and hold down. I built a 3/32" thick balsa deck (cross grain) for the battery and use velcro to hold it in; wrapped around AND stuck to the floor with it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 15, 2002, 02:13 AM
Joined Feb 1999
6,014 Posts
My motor mount also, simple and easy.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 15, 2002, 02:13 PM
I'm disoriented!
Mt. Laurel, NJ, USA
Joined Aug 2000
948 Posts
JStory,

See my pics at http://chrisd-rc.freeservers.com for the canopy hinging. Can't take credit for that. Another conversionee was the author of that one.

I've flown it well with APC 12x8 prop on Endo/4.6:1/10 CP-1700's.

I'd go larger on the cell mah's if you have them for longer flights.

Chris
ChrisD is offline Find More Posts by ChrisD