HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 06, 2006, 10:14 AM
london
Joined Sep 2006
5 Posts
Discussion
Indoor Flight/Walkalong Gliders Request for Info/Contacts

Hi all,

I'm an artist based in London doing some research into indoor flight, with special emphasis on walkalong gliders.

I came across the walkalong glider via the PBS scientific frontiers show featuring Paul and Tyler MacCready and was immediately stunned by it.
http://www.pbs.org/saf/1109/segments/1109-6.htm

I'm looking to make a documentary of some sort (it could take a number of forms; exhibition, video, small publication etc) about the history of walkalong gliders, their place within the modelling community, their development and the people who build and fly them. I'd appreciate any information or links that anyone could contribute.

I've already discovered Phil Rossoni's X-surfer homepage which has been an invaluable resource, thanks Phil - It would be great if you could get in touch - the walkalong butterflies are incredible!
http://www.geocities.com/x_surfer2004/

I would also be particularly interested in speaking to Jonas Romblad and Koichi Tanaka. (I've been making attempts at building the hangflygar'n for a while now with varying degrees of success).

But please, anyone else who might be interested in getting involved with the project or has some information to pass on, no matter how tenuous it may seem, it would be great to hear from you. At this early stage all information is more than welcome.

I hope I'm not breaking forum etiquette not having much background in modelling/RC, but I am genuinely interested in this subject and would love to hear from all of you.

Many thanks,

Simon Davison
lightbeacon is offline Find More Posts by lightbeacon
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2006, 10:24 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Stellenbosch, South Africa
Joined Apr 2004
2,056 Posts
Walkalong glider pylon race video
MegaTesla is offline Find More Posts by MegaTesla
Old Sep 06, 2006, 11:13 AM
Restricted User
Frankfurt-region, Germany
Joined Mar 2003
1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaTesla
Ha, that's fun. I didn't know, that my pylon-video made it to /youtube.

Simon,
I'am sorry, i cannot provide information on these pilots, i just meet them from time to time at the meetings. There's more video from the specific Mannheim2005 event. Will check my files and come back later.
Stephan
StephanB is offline Find More Posts by StephanB
Old Sep 06, 2006, 11:16 AM
USA, FL, Fort Lauderdale
Joined Feb 2002
1,902 Posts
The January issue of Flying Models magazine has a free centerfold plan called the Club Racer, the article is by well known FF guru Larry Kruse. Do you get this magazine there? The design was actually given a patent, though I am not sure on what basis. The patent number is in the article and should be available for reference online. PM me if you do not have access to this source.

Dave
Dave Wulff is offline Find More Posts by Dave Wulff
Old Sep 06, 2006, 11:42 AM
Restricted User
Frankfurt-region, Germany
Joined Mar 2003
1,450 Posts
More video

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...91#post6026115
Stephan
StephanB is offline Find More Posts by StephanB
Old Sep 06, 2006, 12:06 PM
J. Titors Gr Gr Grandpappy
Charlotte,NC
Joined May 2005
1,809 Posts
Check out this thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65870
I was looking to convert one to aero ace differential thrust
Sonofagun is offline Find More Posts by Sonofagun
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2x0
Old Sep 06, 2006, 02:00 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Melrose, MA
Joined Jul 2005
1,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofagun
Check out this thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65870
I was looking to convert one to aero ace differential thrust
They fly great with the aa gear.
AJWoods is offline Find More Posts by AJWoods
Old Sep 06, 2006, 03:53 PM
Joined Jun 2005
233 Posts
Hello Simon, I'm into walkalong gliding big-time, based out of Wisconsin (say cheese). I have about 200 aircraft total, half are gliders or prop-gliders, the other half are tumblewings of varying sizes, anywhere from 3/4" span to 8" span. The tumblewing designs are on Phil's site, in case you missed them. There's also a couple of pics of one of my designs on page 27 of the September issue of Flying Models, the one with the twin-motor transport on the cover. I call it the jagwing, the L/D isn't superb, but the slow-speed lift is excellent, and it's quite stable and maneuverable when built and flown correctly. I made some 5.5" span versions out of styrofoam plates, they fly at a slow jog, but they're still stable and controllable even with the comparatively "high" wingloading. There's also walkalong aerotowing (yes, it actually works!) walkalong ringwings, and unstable gridwings which ONLY fly over a correctly positioned paddle (very tough for the pilot, it's like human "fly-by-wire"!) My e-mail is flyingwingbat1@yahoo.com if you'd like more info, I'd be glad to help!
Flyingwingbat1 is offline Find More Posts by Flyingwingbat1
Old Sep 07, 2006, 07:42 PM
Micro Flyer, Big Poster
Joined Feb 2005
1,390 Posts
I've been adding tailfeathers to these for a while now, and I must say I've gotten quite good at balancing them out.... They are my favorite craft to make!! I'd be more than happy to send the pics I have, as well as bump the rest of my plans to the top of the list if they involve that certain wing ;-)
Pete P is offline Find More Posts by Pete P
Last edited by Pete P; Sep 07, 2006 at 07:47 PM.
Old Sep 13, 2006, 03:07 PM
london
Joined Sep 2006
5 Posts
Hello again,

Thanks everyone for all the information. I've googled just about everything I can think of, so it's fantastic to get some new leads.

Stephan and MegaTesla, the Maneheim videos are great. Thanks for the links.

At the moment I'm starting at the begining and gathering information about the patents that the MacCreadys and aerovironment have on the walkalong glider (US pat 5100357). The original patents are available to look at online at

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...&RS=PN/5100357

Click on the image link to see the original documents along with some really interesting drawings.

There's a reference to The April 1958 issue of American Modeler on page 1 of the document which I'm looking into, perhaps a much earlier version?

Dave,
The plans that I've found online for the Club Racer (Which I found through the x-surfer homepage, www.geocities.com/xsurfergroup/ClubRacer.ppt) cite patent 5100357, I haven't been able to access the Jan 06 Flying Models version with the accomanying article so I'll try to get hold of a back issue if the plans differ from the ones on the above link. I'd be interested to read the article anyhow.

I'm not sure about branching out into looking at powered versions just yet, but thanks for the info and links non-the-less.

FlyingWingBat1, I've seen plans for the JagWing and Tumblewing online but no photographs so far. The Ring and Gridwings sound interesting too.

And PeteP, We have the same birthday! Tailfeathers?! I'd love to see any images or other bits and bobs you have relating to this subject.

Anyone who wants to get in touch outside the forum or send any larger files directly, my email address is simon_davison01@hotmail.com

As far as I have been able to ascertain, there was never a commercial version of the walkalong available in the UK. Have there been any recent sightings in shops in the US or elsewhere?

Im looking forward to compiling a fairly complete layman's history of this subject, eventually including motorised versions and other offshoots of the concept, but in the meantime I'll continue to post any new information I come across.

There's a really interesting thread over at the Small Flying Arts Forums started by Martin Spernau which relates to walkalongs and living room gliders, take a look!

http://www.smallflyingarts.com/cgi-b...00936;start=25

Thanks again everyone!

Simon.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 10:15 PM
Joined Jun 2005
233 Posts
Hello Simon; you mentioned jagwing plans online, where at? I never posted any, but I did e-mail some to Phil Rossonni. I have a thread in the Miscellaneous Wanted/For Sale section on this site. It has pics of some of my aircraft. I can e-mail more pics to you if you'd like, too. FWIW, someone started a Walkalong glider entry on Wikipedia! Maybe some of us could add on to it?
Old Sep 15, 2006, 04:55 AM
london
Joined Sep 2006
5 Posts
RE: Jagwing Plans

Sorry my mistake, it was a thumbnail image of your prototype in an earlier forum.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...hmentid=770101

I'd really appreciate it if you would email me some images, I can't seem to find your thread in the wanted/for sale section.
Old Sep 15, 2006, 11:08 AM
Joined Jun 2005
233 Posts
Here's some pics. Most of these were taken this past winter and spring.
Old Sep 15, 2006, 11:17 AM
Intermediate Multi
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
3,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaTesla
That's hilarious.
Trisquire is offline Find More Posts by Trisquire
Old Sep 15, 2006, 11:36 AM
Joined Jun 2005
233 Posts
<That's hilarious. >

If I could find a friend with a video camera, you could see walkalong aerotowing (it actually works!) I don't know how to release the towed glider though.