HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 30, 2006, 09:41 PM
Joined Nov 2006
135 Posts
what to put in it?

hi everyone what do you think would be the best hardware to put in this plane thanks.
michael
sokrdz is offline Find More Posts by sokrdz
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2006, 02:11 AM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,530 Posts
If my plane had not crashed twice in now 12 flights I would say to buy the recommended motor, speed controller and battery pack. But with Burkefj having almost identical problems to what I experienced with the Silver Series ESC I can presently only recommend the Rimfire motor and the recommended battery pack.
The same electric gear and motor are currently being used and tested by Mike (PDA4you) in his review of the Fokker D VII. I am still testing my gear and have had four more flights with it but on admittedly cold days.
There is excellent ventilation in both of these planes thru the front grill and out the cockpit so over heating should not be a problem in these planes in normal circumstances. My accidents occurred on a great fall day and it was a perfect temperature to be out, neither hot or cold.
I am bringing Burkefj's comments to my editor's attention to forward to the proper people at Great planes. I am also sending PDA4you a note to check out Burkefj's comments. I do not KNOW what caused my crashes but all information is helpful! Whatever is the cause of the problem I doubt it is widespread or consistent as that would make it much easier to isolate and correct.
I greatly appreciate the sharing! Mike
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Michael Heer; Dec 01, 2006 at 09:31 AM.
Old Dec 01, 2006, 07:59 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,517 Posts
Now you guys have me worried - no issues yet but only 3-4 flights now....temps have all been in the 50-60s.

Saturday will bring some more flights....hmmmmmmm

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 01, 2006, 05:13 PM
Electricholics Anonymous
WARREN, MICHIGAN
Joined Jul 2005
1,959 Posts
I guess I'll put my Hyperian Titan 20a esc in mine.
Mike
claybuster is offline Find More Posts by claybuster
Old Dec 01, 2006, 10:46 PM
virginia
Joined Feb 2004
84 Posts
Electrifly's 25A ESC only has a 2.0 Amp BEC. Using a 3 cell lipo battery & 4 servos is pushing it. I've been down this road before & have had the problems you have discribed. I went with a Castle 25amp & 3amp BEC with no problems. Great planes needs to recommend an ESC with a higher BEC amp rating. Hope you get it sorted out soon.
space ghost is offline Find More Posts by space ghost
Last edited by space ghost; Dec 02, 2006 at 07:53 AM.
Old Dec 01, 2006, 11:08 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by space ghost
Electrifly's 25A ESC only has a 2.0 Amp BEC. Using a 3 cell lipo battery & 4 servos is pushing it. I've been down this road before & have had the problems you have discribed. I went with a Castle 25amp & 5amp BEC with no problems. Great planes needs to recommend an ESC with a higher BEC amp rating. Hope you get it sorted out soon.
I should use my servo sense on this and see what the in-flight loads are - good idea....

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 01, 2006, 11:12 PM
Joined Nov 2006
135 Posts
i heard that the reccomended battery was to big for the battery hatch is this true and if it is what battery should i use?
thanks
michael
sokrdz is offline Find More Posts by sokrdz
Old Dec 02, 2006, 12:53 AM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,451 Posts
Fokker and battery size

I'm using a TP 1320 pack and that's about all I think will fit in terms of thickness, maybe a bit more in length, but you have to allow for the wires and plug to tuck in(since I don't use a switch), there is a little room for width.

As far as the silver series and the servo load, that might be the case, in my voodoo I'm also running four servos, and that might have overloaded it, although I wasn't doing any aerobatics, just trimming it out.

Frank(burkefj)
burkefj is offline Find More Posts by burkefj
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pershing 1A foam rocket
Old Dec 02, 2006, 01:00 AM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,530 Posts
As for the SE5a the recommended battery pack as discussed in the review and shown in pictures fits without a problem. I said some other 3-cell lipoly packs from other manufactures did not fit, some others did. Mike
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 02, 2006, 02:53 AM
Electricholics Anonymous
WARREN, MICHIGAN
Joined Jul 2005
1,959 Posts
I think the CC phoenix 25a has a 3.0 bec.
mike
Old Dec 02, 2006, 07:52 AM
virginia
Joined Feb 2004
84 Posts
You are right Claybuster it does have a 3amp BEC (typo). I have 2 Apogee 3cell 2480 packs that fit but I haven't tried it because of the extra weight. It flys so well with the wing loading using a TP1320 but a little more flying time would be nice.
space ghost is offline Find More Posts by space ghost
Last edited by space ghost; Dec 02, 2006 at 08:09 AM.
Old Dec 02, 2006, 11:42 AM
SCCA, EAA, M.E.
USA, KY, Verona
Joined Nov 2001
3,127 Posts
Common sense 3s 1250 pack fits perfect, and is cheap too...
Working great so far in my DVII
spinnetti is online now Find More Posts by spinnetti
Old Dec 02, 2006, 01:48 PM
"Have Glue - Will Travel"
Ft. Worth, Texas
Joined Jan 2004
2,428 Posts
Hi guys,

Here are a few of Dou's SE5 I took today.

Ronnie
dawnron1 is offline Find More Posts by dawnron1
Old Dec 02, 2006, 02:00 PM
Electricholics Anonymous
WARREN, MICHIGAN
Joined Jul 2005
1,959 Posts
Ronnie,
Great pictures again!
Doug,
The pilot and machine gun really make it look real! Not to mention all the other details you put into it. Great work Guys! The only thing I think I will do different is get rid of the shine on the covering.
Mike
Old Dec 02, 2006, 02:11 PM
Electricholics Anonymous
WARREN, MICHIGAN
Joined Jul 2005
1,959 Posts
Mike(pda4you) or Doug,
Where did you guys get the picture of the instrument panel gauges that you posted in "Look what the big brown truck etc." thread. Help!!
Mike