HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 29, 2006, 05:55 PM
SCCA, EAA, M.E.
USA, KY, Verona
Joined Nov 2001
3,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron
my concern would be that these biplane type models would not react too well to aileron elevator only...usually they need lots of rudder input to fly well, or with any control in the turns...you may have different results, but any of my multi wing models require rudder.
I flew mine with no rudder for maiden (I have rudder, just didn't use it).. it flew just fine.. about like any other...

Nose weight shouldn't be an issue either as these types are usually tail heavy anyway...
spinnetti is online now Find More Posts by spinnetti
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2006, 06:19 PM
Joined Oct 2004
91 Posts
Wow

Thanks for the help. i have built a peter Rake 1-1/2 strutter that flew rudder and elevator but I have not built a true four channel that I have flown ( built a Sopwith camel 36 inch peter rake but never flew it). The parkzone P51 is aeleron and elevator and I have enjoyed it. I do not know if parkzone builds a four channel reciever. The idea behind the parkzone gear was to be able to use the combat module, drop module etc. I hope I have not taken too much from the original thread, if I am I will be more than happy to start a new one. I just love these WWI planes. The look, size, etc. makes them perfect.

Thanks
Jim
majorglory007 is offline Find More Posts by majorglory007
Old Nov 29, 2006, 07:36 PM
Electricholics Anonymous
WARREN, MICHIGAN
Joined Jul 2005
1,959 Posts
I already ordered mine. They have it up on Tanks hangar website.
Mike
claybuster is offline Find More Posts by claybuster
Old Nov 29, 2006, 08:27 PM
Eye Drather Beef Lying
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Aug 2002
2,696 Posts
Now if I could just find someone who has the plane in stock!

Hurry up, Tower! Crimmus iz comin', and sumbody has to buy me one of these!!

Rick
ElectRick is offline Find More Posts by ElectRick
Old Nov 29, 2006, 09:43 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,540 Posts
I have ordered mine. By the way the drum used by aviators held 47 bullets but most pilots but one in the breech for 48 shots before replacing the drum.
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2006, 08:50 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,519 Posts
Quote:
Now if I could just find someone who has the plane in stock!
LHS may be your only chance - the last one went out of mine as I was in....Seems like the first shipment is gone.....They are quite popular not surprizing!

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2006, 12:07 PM
Ship first, Improve often
Virginia
Joined Apr 2005
5,008 Posts
I've got a couple of Esskay 400XT's that I got from HobbyLobby that don't have a home. I've also got an e-flite Park 400 920kv motor that needs a home. I think either motor would work but I don't know much about the 400XT's specs. Just know hobbylobby says up to 16 ounce planes. I know the e-flite motor will work but would have to be reversed which I've not done on the e-flite motors. Not sure how big a pain that would be.

Any ideas? Thanks
L0stS0ul is offline Find More Posts by L0stS0ul
Old Nov 30, 2006, 12:53 PM
SCCA, EAA, M.E.
USA, KY, Verona
Joined Nov 2001
3,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by L0stS0ul
I've got a couple of Esskay 400XT's that I got from HobbyLobby that don't have a home. I've also got an e-flite Park 400 920kv motor that needs a home. I think either motor would work but I don't know much about the 400XT's specs. Just know hobbylobby says up to 16 ounce planes. I know the e-flite motor will work but would have to be reversed which I've not done on the e-flite motors. Not sure how big a pain that would be.

Any ideas? Thanks
I'm flying the DVII with the eskay400 XT from HL, a APC 10x4.7 prop and a CSRC 1250 3s pack... its over what the motor should have at 14 amps peak, but it almost never sees that load. So far so good... plenty of power, and good flight times... (first flight only used up about 250mah).. If you looks on the DVII thread, you can see the motor mount I made for it too.. fits the plane real easy.
spinnetti is online now Find More Posts by spinnetti
Old Nov 30, 2006, 01:07 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,519 Posts
Quote:
I've also got an e-flite Park 400 920kv motor that needs a home.
That is what Doug my buddy is going to use - I think it will be just fine.....prop for 13-14amps...

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2006, 01:33 PM
Ship first, Improve often
Virginia
Joined Apr 2005
5,008 Posts
Cool, thanks a lot guys. Looks like I have lots of options sitting at home now if only I could find either plane in stock anywhere
L0stS0ul is offline Find More Posts by L0stS0ul
Old Nov 30, 2006, 01:47 PM
"Have Glue - Will Travel"
Ft. Worth, Texas
Joined Jan 2004
2,428 Posts
Mike,

The Lewis gun looks GREAT! Tank really did a nice job on the laser cutting, and of course Doug's painting is unreal as usual. You and Doug need to make it on Saturday for sure, the weather looks really good, albeit cold(low 50's) but sunny with very light winds. I'll be ready to get some in-flight shots of Doug's SE5 and the DVII!

Ronnie
dawnron1 is offline Find More Posts by dawnron1
Old Nov 30, 2006, 04:03 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,540 Posts
Hey Ronnie:
You can be my wingman/cameraman anytime. I look forward to more of your pictures on the Fokker D VII.
I can't find my kit of the second SE5a as it is trapped in boxes and boxes we are going through from storage right now. Hopefully tonight to trial fit a 480 motor. Mike
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2006, 04:35 PM
"Have Glue - Will Travel"
Ft. Worth, Texas
Joined Jan 2004
2,428 Posts
Thanks Iceman! Er, Mike!
dawnron1 is offline Find More Posts by dawnron1
Old Nov 30, 2006, 05:16 PM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,456 Posts
SE5 and problem with speed control

Michael, I've also had this same type of problem, twice with a word models Voodoo Reno racer, and once with the my electrifly Fokker, all three times during initial test flights using the supplied or recommended motor/prop.

I had the same experience, about 3-4 minutes into the flight, and flying at 1/2 throttle or less(with spec battery pack or close, TP 1320) should not be anywhere close to max load) and with silver series speed control mounted in airflow(so should not be over heating, and without large aerobatic moves so should not be loading the BEC).

Two times, once with each plane, the motor shut off but I retained control and was able to land on the runway. The third time, the motor kept running and I had no control and it went in in heavy wind in a swampy area. Fortunately only a little firewall damage with the Voodoo and a destroyed cowl where the folding prop crushed it when it folded while still running as it impacted, but no water damage.

I was using different physical packs(with a venom 1800 20C 3S and the other two times with 1320 TP 15C packs, different motors, different receivers(all with good ground range), (FUTABA, and berg) and all with either futaba 3110 or HS55 servos.

I was the only flier at the field in all cases and testing with a hobbico frequency tester showed no other interference beforehand or after. These happened on three different days.

The only constant in all of these cases were the two 25A silver series speed controls. I believe they have a flaw, these were all purchased within the last month and a half.

In each case when I landed, or recovered the plane, when the plane landed, and I put the throttle at low setting, it beeped, when I increased throttle it beeped again, and then reset at low throttle. In all cases the servos responded normally immediately after landing/crashing. In each case it acted like the speed control had completely reset into safe start, but in no case did I have enough time to try re-enabling in the air. I'm using good deans plugs well soldered.

I believe the speed controls are re-setting in flight, and in one case disabling the BEC, it acts like it is overheating, but the loading should not be doing this.

In all cases, I kept all components the same, battery, connectors, motor, receiver, and replaced the speed control with a 25A CC phoenix, and in one case an electrifly 20A brushless control, and have not had one issue at all.

these all have similar specs to the silver series controller and they are fine.

I was able to return these to the LHS for a cost credit and replace them, but I will never use one of these again. I have not had trouble with the brushed controllers by electrifly.

I contacted electrifly and the tech couldn't come up with a good reason other than they are overheating and shutting down, but it's not worth it to me to try them again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Heer
Thanks for the kind words guys! I like what you are doing with your details. All I need is time and talent to do mine. I like the magnet idea for the Lewis machine gun. I will review the Fokker and while we aren't normally supposed to do comparisons in reviews I think the video will tell you what you need to know. Mike
burkefj is offline Find More Posts by burkefj
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fullscale Hellfire Missile