HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 27, 2006, 08:16 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,468 Posts
Guys good news Kyle has just finished with a laser cut Lewis gun for this - check it out!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=312
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=313

Mike
pda4you is online now Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2006, 11:26 AM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,356 Posts
The Lewis Looks good!
When can we order one and how much? Mike Hopefully soon to show it off in the Fokker review and if your friend wants to sell them to give in a reference in the main article. Mike
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
Old Nov 28, 2006, 11:32 AM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,356 Posts
Dear EXRAFBOD:
The Viper was a brain or finger fart on my part in typing. The ammunition amount I questioned in my mind but took it from an Internet source and then saw it again at another site. In the crush of doing reviews never got back to check that source. Thank you for the corrections. Mike
Old Nov 28, 2006, 02:34 PM
SCCA, EAA, M.E.
USA, KY, Verona
Joined Nov 2001
3,058 Posts
I wonder if the crash problem is related to extra load from gyroscopic effects on the motor - high short term loads from those stunts, pops the limit, then crash.. I would think that a quick stick off, back on should fix that tho...
spinnetti is offline Find More Posts by spinnetti
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flying Flapjack!
Old Nov 28, 2006, 02:48 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Heer
The Lewis Looks good!
When can we order one and how much? Mike Hopefully soon to show it off in the Fokker review and if your friend wants to sell them to give in a reference in the main article. Mike
Mike it would be great to reference it in the article....

The Lewis gun is ready to purchase $10 shipped (US) and it looks great.

Get it here - http://www.tanks-hangar.com/ just ship him and email and say the "
Mike" sent you and want the Lewis gun for the SE5a....He will cut it and get it sent off to you.

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2006, 06:01 PM
Joined Nov 2006
135 Posts
does anyone know if the fokker review has come out yet? and where it is posted. i want to compare the two planes but i probably am going to buy this one anyway it looks awesome.
sokrdz is offline Find More Posts by sokrdz
Old Nov 28, 2006, 06:33 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,356 Posts
It turns out PDA4you is doing the review of the Fokker D VII for Ezone. His review is not out yet but it is well under way. He has also flown the S.E.5a. I will be buying and flying the Fokker D VII but PDA4you is doing the review for Ezone. I think they said send it to Michael and it went to him. To many Mikes here. Seriously, he does an excellent job and I look forward to seeing his review. Michael Heer
Last edited by Michael Heer; Nov 28, 2006 at 06:45 PM.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 06:56 PM
Electricholics Anonymous
WARREN, MICHIGAN
Joined Jul 2005
1,959 Posts
Who said there's too many Mike's here?
Mike
claybuster is offline Find More Posts by claybuster
Old Nov 28, 2006, 08:25 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,468 Posts
The review is written and the in flight pics are done - I have to edit video (taken) and so it should be out in the next few weeks.

Mike and Mike I promise Mike will do a good job!?!

Thanks Mike for the "history" I had some, but like some of yours better....so I may snag it...

Suffice it to say guys the DVII is also a keeper, impressive and in fact I think it flied a tad better than the SE5a - no small task....

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2006, 09:03 PM
SCCA, EAA, M.E.
USA, KY, Verona
Joined Nov 2001
3,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pda4you
The review is written and the in flight pics are done - I have to edit video (taken) and so it should be out in the next few weeks.

Mike and Mike I promise Mike will do a good job!?!

Thanks Mike for the "history" I had some, but like some of yours better....so I may snag it...

Suffice it to say guys the DVII is also a keeper, impressive and in fact I think it flied a tad better than the SE5a - no small task....

Mike
Mike, if you have any line back to the manufacturer, I wrote up a few minor items in the main thread (if you also noticed these things that is).....
spinnetti is offline Find More Posts by spinnetti
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flying Flapjack!
Old Nov 29, 2006, 05:41 AM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,356 Posts
If you like watching World War I planes fly then 2007 should be a good year. They have finished shooting a movie in Europe on the Red Baron. They are in post production on it now. They made about 30 planes for the movie and painted them over 100 paint schemes. (Not all red triplanes like Fly-Boys.) That is expected out this summer. Hopefully coming to a webzine near you this spring is a video with the working title "Heaven's Devils." It hopes to feature the Hanger 9 Camel and a custom red biplane of similar size in German markings. The Great Planes SE5a and Fokker D VII are scheduled to dogfight and much more. Mike
Old Nov 29, 2006, 10:04 AM
Joined Oct 2004
91 Posts
wow

Dear Mr. Heer:
I would first like to say thank you for that remarkable write up on the SE5A. I have always been intrigued with WWI fighters. I have built several from Peter Rake plans but I have not gotten the polished results of electrifly.
I also enjoy the ability to dog fight ( aka Fighterbirds combat module). I have several friend that go out on weekends using the parkzone planes.
My question is this, do you think the SE5A could fly well with the motor-set up from the P51 parkzone mustang. You have flown the plane and might be able to shed sme light. The parkzone P51 uses a 480 geared brushed motor with a 10/8 prop. Wing loading looks like it could be close and I think the combat module could fit snuggly inbetween the landing gear. Real combat with fighters could be fun. Please let me know what you think.
majorglory007 is offline Find More Posts by majorglory007
Old Nov 29, 2006, 12:54 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,356 Posts
Great Question MajorGlory007!
The 480 certainly has enough power to fly the SE5a or the Great Planes Fokker D VII. The motor area is wide open so I believe you can make a mount and fit the motor in. Making the mount and having the prop right where you want it will be your first obstacle but I believe there is the space to do it without major surgery to the frame. Your second obstacle will be balancing the plane on the proper C/G. The 480 motor is going to be heavier then the Rimfire brushless motor so be prepared to add some lead to the tail to keep the plane in balance. I'm at work and shooting from the hip on the fit but I will double check it at home tonight and post an update on the topic late tonight. I bought a second SE5a to use in the video I mentioned above so I will just drop a 480 into the space and shoot a picture of the fit for you.
Mike
Old Nov 29, 2006, 02:48 PM
Joined Oct 2004
91 Posts
Wow

Howdy,Howdy,Howdy:
I currently own a parkzone P51 and do not relish the idea of hacking into my fuselage to be able to hook up a combat module, the plane is just too nice. Thus the reason for an undercarriage fighter. The P51 motor gearbox assembly will weigh about 4oz while the rimfire weighs about 2oz (the official weight is 1.78 oz I think) but my savng grace might be that the motor gearbox assembly would move the weght back toward the cg location.
I know that I would have to use Parzone equipment (5 wire servos etc.) but I have never had any problems so far with mine 27mhz. I think I would also have to set up the SE5A as elevator and aeleron. Do you think this setup would work on the SE?

Thanks for your input
Jim
majorglory007 is offline Find More Posts by majorglory007
Old Nov 29, 2006, 04:19 PM
Ron
Chilliwack B.C. Canada
Joined Nov 1999
1,318 Posts
my concern would be that these biplane type models would not react too well to aileron elevator only...usually they need lots of rudder input to fly well, or with any control in the turns...you may have different results, but any of my multi wing models require rudder.
Ron is offline Find More Posts by Ron