SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 15, 2007, 03:36 PM
Eye Drather Beef Lying
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Aug 2002
2,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMBRAD
Has anyone flown these with a brushed setup yet? If so, what was the outcome? I still fly brushed motors and round cells.
A Speed 400 should work OK on a 6 or 7 cell NiMH. Check the fit of the pack in the provided space, as it's not very deep. It may come out nose heavy with a brushed motor and round cells, so additional balance weight may be needed aft.

I'm sure it can be done, but as cheap as small BL motors, ESCs, and small LiPos are, why bother?

Rick
ElectRick is offline Find More Posts by ElectRick
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2007, 03:50 PM
Jody Bradshaw
Salisbury, North Carolina, United States
Joined Feb 2004
1,061 Posts
Rick,

Thanks for the suggestion. I have a ton of GWS 350 stuff. I am flying a 46" wingspan CedarHobbies Cub on 8 cells, "C" gearing and a 9x5 prop. I had a "D" gear and a 10x6 prop in 1st and the motor lasted about 20 flights. Have only 2 flights on the C gear so far. I have no idea how much it weighs. I don't have a scale. I wouldn't expect the Electri-Fly Fokker and SE5a would weigh much more if any.

Just thought an old trusty 350 might get 'er air-borne. With the extra drag from being a bi-plane, I might be pushing it.

I just have all this brushed equipment, and I don't want to give up on it just yet.

Jody
JMBRAD is offline Find More Posts by JMBRAD
Old Mar 15, 2007, 03:56 PM
Electricholics Anonymous
WARREN, MICHIGAN
Joined Jul 2005
1,959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-40
I think Great Planes has done a very fine job with this line. I personally prefer this size as the electronics/motor/ESC's are on the more reasonable side of the price scale. They are also very transprotable.

There are so many subjects to choose from for future offerings. I'm partial to the German side. They seem to have so much style, almost like a piece of art.

An Albatross DV or a Nieuport 17 would be nice.
I agree with P-40 on this one.
Mike
claybuster is offline Find More Posts by claybuster
Old Mar 15, 2007, 04:46 PM
Love them P-40's!
USA, MO, Kansas City
Joined Feb 2004
509 Posts
Mike,

You're making me want a DVIII now with all those pictures. It would probably be fairly easy to design/produce since most of the struts, fuselage and tail parts are somewhat similar to the DR1/DVII.
P-40 is offline Find More Posts by P-40
Last edited by P-40; Mar 21, 2007 at 12:02 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 05:14 PM
Electricholics Anonymous
WARREN, MICHIGAN
Joined Jul 2005
1,959 Posts
Here's a couple pics of a DVIII that Kavan makes. Its foam and costs more then the GP WWI planes. I would sure like to see GP make one.
Mike
claybuster is offline Find More Posts by claybuster
Old Mar 15, 2007, 05:47 PM
I need more ceiling!!!
Okinawa, Japan
Joined May 2006
2,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-51C
I agree with sting35, size them up so I can run them off my 25 size e-motors on 3s packs. Somewhere around 45" span should be about right on these bipes..
Lotsa people out there have 25e sized planes/equipment so the larger size makes sense. Plus, these WWI designs have huge wheels compared to WWII planes so, grass / rough fields are less of a problem for those of us without improved flying sites. I'm sure they'd sell great. Heck, I'll pre-order one now before they are even designed.
sting35 is offline Find More Posts by sting35
Old Mar 15, 2007, 05:47 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,066 Posts
Mike

One of the Kavan <Sig> DVIIIs has been for sale in this forum forever. I did own the kit at one time myself, but as I moved on to bigger, sold it.

Dispite the "wrong" wing its a really pretty kit.

Give me a DVIII, make it a .25 size and Ill be a happy fellow!

Tommy D
Tommy D is offline Find More Posts by Tommy D
Old Mar 21, 2007, 11:58 AM
Joined Jul 2006
77 Posts
Fokker DVIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by claybuster
Here's a couple pics of a DVIII that Kavan makes. Its foam and costs more then the GP WWI planes. I would sure like to see GP make one.
Mike
You are right on. The DVIII would be a far better subject than the over done DR1 Triplane, especially if it is covered with Lozenge cammo on top of the wing!! I would also like to see a Spad XIII from G.P. Electrifly.
Birdog is offline Find More Posts by Birdog
Old Mar 21, 2007, 12:28 PM
Ron
Chilliwack B.C. Canada
Joined Nov 1999
1,318 Posts
DV111 / EV is a pretty nice looking model, it flies well too once you get the C/G sorted...strangely it's much more sensitive to C/G movement than the DR1, D V11, DV1, or any other fokker I have built so far. That being said, it looks great with a lozenge scheme on the fuselage...I don't think there ever was one built with lozenge on the wing. I hunted for a long time to try to find an example, but was not able to succeed
Ron is offline Find More Posts by Ron
Old Mar 24, 2007, 10:30 AM
Let slip the dogs of war!
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Jun 2005
1,754 Posts
Success!!!

I finally got the weather to get some flying in; almost no wind. Well, image that, with the proper cg, this bird flies so sweetly. As I mentioned before, I had the cg off so much that I HAD TO use rudder to turn the airplane. For this second flight session, I turned on some aileron>rudder mixing just to have some extra insurance. As before, a nice smooth takeoff roll of 15 to 20 feet. After a strong climbout, I flew several laps around the field and then performed some aerobatics - it banks and yanks just like it should. As planned, I landed, turned off the rudder mixing, and took off again. During the second flight, the wind picked up considerably and things got tricky, so it's difficult for me to judge the difference. My gut tells me that I may like it better with mixing on - I'm using 35%, but I'll try it next time with the mixing off. To fix the cg, I'm using a 1250 2S battery and - dare I say - a half ounce of weight.
My power set up:
Esskay 400XT
CC Phoenix 10 esc
GP 1250 2S lipo
APC 10x3.8 prop
With this set up, it draws about 7 amps and 110 watts at full throttle, but flies around very nicely at less than half throttle. I may get tired of flying before it runs out of juice. I have ordered a 3S PQ 800 lipo, which weighs about the same as the 1250 2S. I will try that with an APC 9x3.8 SF and a GWS 9x5 HD and report back.
This plane flies and looks great, especially with the lewis gun and matte finish.

Ben
Park_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Park_Flyer
Old Mar 24, 2007, 11:28 AM
Va.Beach Va.
Joined Feb 2007
253 Posts
What did u do for matte finish steel wool the plane? No wind must have been 7:00 in morning.
Little ROG is offline Find More Posts by Little ROG
Old Mar 24, 2007, 01:17 PM
Let slip the dogs of war!
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Jun 2005
1,754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little ROG
What did u do for matte finish steel wool the plane? No wind must have been 7:00 in morning.
Krylon Matte Finish, it's in an aerosol can. Just mist on two light coats within a few minutes of each other. It dries pretty fast, but I let it dry overnight to be safe.

Actually, it was about 8:30 - there was a very small window, about 45 minutes, where the wind died down. It picked up again considerably while I was flying the second flight - had to declare an emergency and land.

Ben
Park_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Park_Flyer
Last edited by Park_Flyer; Mar 24, 2007 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Added photos
Old Mar 24, 2007, 04:48 PM
Va.Beach Va.
Joined Feb 2007
253 Posts
Wow If looks could kill.
Old Mar 24, 2007, 05:38 PM
Va.Beach Va.
Joined Feb 2007
253 Posts
Where do they sell It what did you use for the wrap on cockpit I saw were to get vickers machine gun.
Old Mar 29, 2007, 11:58 AM
Sausalito Marin Cty, California, United States
Joined Aug 2004
892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by benhobe
No banking and yanking for me. I HAD TO use rudder to successfully turn the aircraft - my cg was off (aft). As I said, don't do important steps late at night. The cg is correct now, so I should not need the rudder. After I fly it around for a few minutes, I'll likely land and inhibit the mixing, just to see how it does.

BTW Wab, what did you figure out with your aileron?

Ben
Turned out to be a bad servo. Replaced it, and been flying ever since. This is a very nice plane to fly. And so easy to land as well. My favorite plane I have ever flown so far...
wab25 is offline Find More Posts by wab25