HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 11, 2012, 02:03 AM
Australia, VIC, Ferntree Gully
Joined Nov 2010
173 Posts
Slow build

Covered the wing today.
You don't realise how many crooks and crannies, corners etc are there until you start!

And i am pleased with the result as well.

I have covered only one wing in the past 30 yrs, and never with the solite.

The basics dont change though, cover the inside corners, tack when taut, use a sharp knife, and take your time.

Misc bits and fuselage will be covered on the weekend. Maybe even a maiden this year!
peterreebok is offline Find More Posts by peterreebok
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:18 PM
God is my pilot
United States, MI, Kalamazoo Township
Joined Aug 2006
2,350 Posts
You have a beautiful flying plane to look forward to.
JimTMich is online now Find More Posts by JimTMich
Old Nov 04, 2012, 01:20 AM
Joined Nov 2010
173 Posts
first photos

finished covering today - started assemblin for good.
Couldnt resist taking a photo or two

The color scheme is one of necessity - underestimated the covering needed, and of course, couldnt match the covering easily. hence the blue fuselage.

However - it came out quite good. At least I think so.

One small issue - I have misplaced the ply piece with the strut supports ie the eyelets on the wings, and the aileron control horns.

I will email mountain models for a pdf perhaps, as being in Australia, seems pointless to mail just those pieces. Unles anyone can trace those parts and email or post em?
Old Nov 04, 2012, 07:12 AM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,215 Posts
The blue fuselage looks awesome! Kind of PT-19ish. Just add some red and white stripes on the rudder and you're done.

I typically save all balsa scraps from MM kits but the thin ply sheets that the small pieces like control horns and misc small parts come in usually go in the trash as there is little usable material left. If I had it I'd be happy to make a scan for you. I'm sure Brian will get you taken care of though.

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
Old Nov 07, 2012, 10:59 PM
Joined Nov 2010
173 Posts
Building one of these, enjoyable build.

One small issue - I have misplaced the ply piece with the strut supports ie the eyelets on the wings, the pieces for the end of the struts, and the aileron control horns.

If anyone is building one of these if I could request that they scan the ply sheet with the wing connectors and aileron control horns, and email it or post it, i will be able to complete this model. I would be very grateful.

I have emailed brian at mountain models, and I understand he has some health issues, so I dont want to pester him.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 12:32 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2013
4 Posts
Great Job, you project is really amazing. It all comes with time and experience. I have never completed a build without an error or two. thanks for sharing such a wonderful project ....
BarryMartin is offline Find More Posts by BarryMartin
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 28, 2013, 07:22 PM
Australia, NSW, North Bondi
Joined Apr 2013
168 Posts
I bought this kit last night Peter, i'm in sydney so should be able to send it up.
rocketnz is offline Find More Posts by rocketnz
Old Apr 30, 2013, 03:06 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,215 Posts
Several weeks ago I got my future son in law to buy a Hobbyzone Champ as a cheap introduction to R/C. We flew it at the small private park/playground just down the street from me and had a blast. I've been wanting to modify something in my hangar or possibly buy a really cheap lightweight kit to fly down there. Most of the small/lightweight kits out there require the Hobbyzone electronics. I'm dirt poor right now so buying all new electronics is out. I need to use what I have in stock. I could use a Dandy or SwitchBack but I wanted an even more relaxed flyer. Then it hit me! My MM J-3 Cub. Duh! Lots of wing area, super low wing loading and now I have some 2S 460mah packs. My AUW will be right at 14.5 oz with those packs. Because the Cub doesn't need more than 1/2 throttle to fly I'm sure 6-8 minutes will be easy even with the tiny 460mah packs. It's gonna be hot and windy this weekend but hopefully I can catch a break in the wind to see how the Cub does down there. If it works out I can drive only a few hundred feet to fly rather than 20 miles.

Joe
Last edited by turbojoe; Apr 30, 2013 at 03:08 PM. Reason: editing gone wrong!
Old Apr 30, 2013, 07:21 PM
God is my pilot
United States, MI, Kalamazoo Township
Joined Aug 2006
2,350 Posts
Have fun Joe!
JimTMich is online now Find More Posts by JimTMich
Old Apr 30, 2013, 07:56 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,215 Posts
Thanks Jim. The weather forecast says windy for the weekend but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's wrong.

Joe
Old May 13, 2013, 07:56 PM
Joined Apr 2013
168 Posts
Hi guys, is it possible to install flaps on this j-3 cub? Is that even a good idea? Im new, I've been flying my AXN cloud for a month or so. this will be my first kit. I like the idea of flaps. Any instructions around? Or do you simply take 30% of the aileron and use another servo / channel for each flap.

ill be using the turnigy 9xr is has 3 stage flap switch
Old May 13, 2013, 08:20 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketnz View Post
Hi guys, is it possible to install flaps on this j-3 cub? Is that even a good idea? Im new, I've been flying my AXN cloud for a month or so. this will be my first kit. I like the idea of flaps. Any instructions around? Or do you simply take 30% of the aileron and use another servo / channel for each flap.

ill be using the turnigy 9xr is has 3 stage flap switch
BAD idea! We've all been pushing Brian to kit a Super Cub (flaps) version but flaps really couldn't be any less useful on this plane. They would be good only from a cosmetic standpoint. Don't even consider flaperons on this plane (or any plane in my opinion) You just couldn't ask this MM Cub to fly any slower or be more graceful as designed. I've had mine on the coffee table for the last few days and I can't get over just how good it looks. Brian did such an amazing job with this kit I might just pull all the gear out of it and make mine a static display.

Joe
Old May 13, 2013, 08:37 PM
Joined Apr 2013
168 Posts
Ok no worries, will have to slow down a bit complete this then look for a model that can scratch that itch

I have only bought the kit at this stage nothing else, but really looking forward to getting this together. not even sure what electronics I will run, is the equipment specified by MM on the models page sufficient, or are their known upgrades that we can benefit from now?
Old May 13, 2013, 09:04 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,215 Posts
The only upgrade I really, really,really regret NOT doing when I built mine is adding LED lighting. If I ever get rich again I'll buy another kit and do it right with lighting. For power Brian suggests 75-100 watts. I'd err on the low side or even lower. My tiny Scorpion 2205-32 motor is way to much power on only 2S so I only flew it at half or less throttle.

I like to modify just about every kit I build. This one deserves to be built completely unmolested though. Put your efforts into scale appearance, not power or gimmicks. Add those LED lights. If you want flaps draw them on with a Sharpie pen. Put bungees on the landing gear. etc etc. Just don't change what Brian perfected.

Joe
Last edited by turbojoe; Aug 13, 2013 at 02:40 PM.
Old May 13, 2013, 09:34 PM
Joined Apr 2013
168 Posts
What servos did everyone use? I've got the 9gram hobbyking servos in my axn. What am I expected to run here? Similar?