Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 22, 2012, 07:36 PM
BYOP - Build Your Own Planes
United States, WI, Appleton
Joined Mar 2001
1,721 Posts
JOE!!!!

It's great to have you back! I'm glad you liked the Cub.

These cubs definitely need that rudder for coordinated turns. Turn off the mix and start training yourself to physically mix in the rudder. That way, you'll be able to do some really nice slow rolls with the Cub.

Drop me an email when you have a chance. I've had so many computer crashes that I lost yours (again). I did get smart though, and FINALLY added that file to my back up list, so I PROMISE it won't happen again.

Once again, it's good to have you back!

Brian
Mountain Models is offline Find More Posts by Mountain Models
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2012, 08:37 PM
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
2,196 Posts
I sure wish Brian would still do a PA-18 Super Cub that looks as scale as his J-3. I know he would sell a ton of them. If I remember correctly, he had planned on one several years back right?
sj3cub is offline Find More Posts by sj3cub
Old Jan 22, 2012, 09:08 PM
Obviously I'm a "Minus Member"
USA, MA, Longmeadow
Joined Jun 2003
1,809 Posts
Welcome back, and congratulations on the maiden, Joe! Sounds like it has you grinning ear to ear. I still have the clipped wing to build one of these days. Hopefully I'll get a roundtuit soon!

Mark
buzzltyr is online now Find More Posts by buzzltyr
Old Jan 22, 2012, 11:23 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Models View Post
JOE!!!!

It's great to have you back! I'm glad you liked the Cub.

These cubs definitely need that rudder for coordinated turns. Turn off the mix and start training yourself to physically mix in the rudder. That way, you'll be able to do some really nice slow rolls with the Cub.

Drop me an email when you have a chance. I've had so many computer crashes that I lost yours (again). I did get smart though, and FINALLY added that file to my back up list, so I PROMISE it won't happen again.

Once again, it's good to have you back!

Brian
Brian,

I just shot you an e-mail at your personal address. I hope I got it right as my computer died too and I lost all e-mail addresses. I'm borrowing my ex-wife's iMac until I can get mine going again.

About the aileron/rudder mixing. My left thumb had to be fused about 15 years ago. Makes it tough to use the rudder without affecting throttle at the same time. It's what has really held me back with helicopters too. So mixing in the radio is a lifesaver for me. At least for the planes.

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
Last edited by turbojoe; Jan 22, 2012 at 11:24 PM. Reason: wrong thumb! duh
Old Jan 23, 2012, 12:07 PM
God is my pilot
United States, MI, Kalamazoo Township
Joined Aug 2006
2,353 Posts
Glad to hear it went well Joe!
JimTMich is offline Find More Posts by JimTMich
Old Jan 24, 2012, 06:54 AM
United States, GA, Dalton
Joined Oct 2009
288 Posts
I finished my clipped wing a couple of weeks ago. It flies great.
Wished MM made a super cub and decathlon kit. I love the high wing tail draggers.

(I did put the fake motor on the nose later)
headshot001 is offline Find More Posts by headshot001
Old Jan 24, 2012, 07:01 AM
God is my pilot
United States, MI, Kalamazoo Township
Joined Aug 2006
2,353 Posts
Looking good!
JimTMich is offline Find More Posts by JimTMich
Old Mar 03, 2012, 06:39 PM
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Sep 2010
147 Posts
Mountain Models J3 Setup

I'm just finishing my J3 and getting it ready to fly. I have a 1200 kv motor and 18amp esc. With my 1000mah 30c battery I generate 72watts on a 9x6 slow fly. Is that enough watts for my plane. I weigh 13.3 without the battery and 15.6 with the battery. I appreciate any help you can give. Do I need more watts? or is this enough? Do I change props? or do I have to go to 3cell?

Maq
maq007 is offline Find More Posts by maq007
Old Mar 03, 2012, 07:31 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maq007 View Post
I'm just finishing my J3 and getting it ready to fly. I have a 1200 kv motor and 18amp esc. With my 1000mah 30c battery I generate 72watts on a 9x6 slow fly. Is that enough watts for my plane. I weigh 13.3 without the battery and 15.6 with the battery. I appreciate any help you can give. Do I need more watts? or is this enough? Do I change props? or do I have to go to 3cell?

Maq
You have more than enough power. Slow and graceful is what she does best. I seldom use more than 1/2 throttle on mine even on take off.

Joe
Old Jun 03, 2012, 06:47 PM
Australia, VIC, Ferntree Gully
Joined Nov 2010
174 Posts
worlds slowest build.

I might get an award for the worlds slowest build, but it will get together.

I had a stroke last year, so the model is part of the therapy required to make my left hand work again.

am building about 5 models at the one time, and with flying helis, and learning to fly planes as well, my time is well taken up, apart from family stuff.

Fuselage is together, started on the wing yesterday, and was mightily impressed with the way it slots together. Seems like it is real hard to assemble it wrong, as it either fits or it doesnt.
Have found that some of the wing parts are not labelled, and a cup of tea was required to look carefully at the plans and pictures before trying to assemble anything. Found everything though!. well except for the strengtheners in W8 for the aileron servos. wasnt a biggie, just went up to the local hobby shop and bought some 1/64 ply and custom made these parts.

I am using a magnetic build board I cobbled up myself, and it is going together very straight and true.
Patience is a virtue, which I am finding out, but having spent almost a year learning how to do up a shirt button, or hold a fork, am glad I am taking the time with this build.

For its price, it is a very well crafted piece of work. I am very appreciative of the work that went into this PRIOR to releasing it as a kit.
I would recommend a MM kit as how a kit should be presented.
peterreebok is online now Find More Posts by peterreebok
Old Jun 03, 2012, 07:16 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,219 Posts
Sorry to hear about the stroke. Happy to hear that the Cub build has been good therapy for you though.

I've built multiples of almost every powered Mountain Models kit and thought each one flew better than the next. For all around flight performance regardless of speed this Cub is by far the best flying plane I own out of close to 40. I always thought my Tyro 150 was the touch and go king but the Cub has seriously upstaged it. Slow one wheel touch and rolls. Slow tail wheel touch and rolls. Low and slow is the way to fly this bird. The few times that I've gotten to fly her I've had a HUGE smile on my face. You're in for a real treat. The best advice I can give is to NOT overpower her. 50-75 watts would be perfect. I have almost 100 watts and NEVER use it all.

Take your time and enjoy the build. Flying her will be even better!

Joe
Old Jun 03, 2012, 07:56 PM
New Zealand
Joined Jul 2008
855 Posts
I agree with Joe
I have a mountain models L4 grass hopper (military cub) and they do fly great! I never get mine above half throttle, it just won't go any faster....
It is also the slowest and most scale like flier I have.
I have also built other mountain models kits...Switchback Sr, easy cub and dusk stick and they all are great fliers
-Reuben
ben199 is offline Find More Posts by ben199
Old Jun 28, 2012, 03:35 PM
Israel
Joined Sep 2009
19 Posts
Hi, I'm also enjoying the build. I started with the fuselage and I'm at the point now where I have to insert the front hatch and glue its sides to the fuselage sides (step 19 in the instructions). The thing is that the fuselage sides are a bit round there so I have to press them quite hard in order for the hatch to fit in. Is that the way it should be? I'm afraid to either break something or that the forward hatch will not fit back perfectly once I remove it from the fuselage because the fuselage sides might bend back to their original shape.
Shay1974 is offline Find More Posts by Shay1974
Old Jul 25, 2012, 10:31 PM
Australia, VIC, Ferntree Gully
Joined Nov 2010
174 Posts
And now it is ready to cover.

Won't be long before it is in the air
peterreebok is online now Find More Posts by peterreebok
Old Aug 14, 2012, 09:48 AM
I need a bigger garage...
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2005
1,292 Posts
I recently rekitted the front end of my clipped wing Cub. Got stupid too low to the ground I've pieced the jigsaw puzzle back together and I'm almost ready to remaiden it, but I don't have the plans anymore. Can anyone tell me where the the recommended CG is?

Thanks.
Andy
ajreynolds is offline Find More Posts by ajreynolds