HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 06, 2011, 08:08 PM
...into the mists of time...
Joined Jul 2007
1,228 Posts
I totally forgot I had one of these kits! I bought one of the early kits from Brian, put it on the shelf to build later. Well, here it is almost 5 years later and I found the unopened box while cleaning up in the garage. Also have two of the MM P-51 kits and an EZ-Cub I never got around to building either.

I'm pathetic!

Guess I need to get building this winter! Hey Brian, what happened to the Super Cub? (J/K! )
Warhorse is offline Find More Posts by Warhorse
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2011, 08:12 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post
I totally forgot I had one of these kits! I bought one of the early kits from Brian, put it on the shelf to build later. Well, here it is almost 5 years later and I found the unopened box while cleaning up in the garage.
A man after my own heart!

At my age, it seems every day I find something that I forgot I had.

The best part of getting old and forgetful is that we can hide our own Easter eggs.
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 06, 2011, 08:47 PM
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
2,243 Posts
Yea, The Super Cub was one I was waiting on myself. As nice as the J3 is, I can only imagine how sweet the PA-18 will be. Is it still going to happen Brian? I sure hope so!!!!!
You would make a ton of people happy.
sj3cub is offline Find More Posts by sj3cub
Old Aug 07, 2011, 08:24 AM
Joined Jul 2007
1,228 Posts
Speaking of Easter eggs (and not to throw the subject off), I found an old 1/10 scale R/C truck I bought and built back in the early 80's. It was covered in dust but I cleaned it off, threw an extra rx and battery I had in it and it still works!

Anyone remember these things? Apparently, it's worth quite a bit now. I took it to the LHS and had several offers for it, all over $1000. I just could bring myself to sell it though. Who knows? Maybe someday some of these MM planes might be collectable?
Old Aug 07, 2011, 08:26 AM
Joined Jul 2007
1,228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Morgan View Post
Yea, The Super Cub was one I was waiting on myself. As nice as the J3 is, I can only imagine how sweet the PA-18 will be. Is it still going to happen Brian? I sure hope so!!!!!
You would make a ton of people happy.
I just sold an Adrian Page 80" Super Cub. I hated to do it but I knew I'd never get it built. That and I don't have anyplace to fly anything that big. A MM Super Cub around park flyer size (with flaps of course) would be perfect!
Old Sep 24, 2011, 08:21 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,260 Posts
Lets try this one more time...... Trying to make yet another return to R/C. Things have changed a LOT for me in the last few years. I no longer have the "disposable" income I SO enjoyed with my last job so now that I'm a pauper again I have to make due with whatever R/C items I have been stockpiling. Can't really spend a penny on R/C without serious budget issues. One of the items I happened to already have is a MM J-3 Cub kit. I finally got busy with it and have it fully built and have the fuse completely covered. Forgot just how bad I hate SoLite but I'm dealing with it. My much preferred SolarFilm would probably crush the airframe when shrunk so the SoLite is the best option for this lightweight bird. I pre-sprayed the wood with yellow paint so the transparent SoLite looks slightly better. Only added 6 extra grams of weight too.

I work nights now and that really throws off everything from building to flying times. Temps are finally dropping here in the valley of HELL so the tolerable flying season is going to be in full swing very soon. I'm pushing myself to have this baby in the air within the next two weeks. Don't know if it'll happen but I'm going to try hard. I want something to fly in the tiny park just down the road from my house. The MM Cub and my MM Cessna 180 will be perfect there.

I haven't taken any pictures of the build. Hey, it's a Cub and it's yellow. Not like nobody has seen THAT before....

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
Old Sep 24, 2011, 09:54 PM
Obviously I'm a "Minus Member"
USA, MA, Longmeadow
Joined Jun 2003
1,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojoe View Post
Lets try this one more time...... Trying to make yet another return to R/C. Things have changed a LOT for me in the last few years. I no longer have the "disposable" income I SO enjoyed with my last job so now that I'm a pauper again I have to make due with whatever R/C items I have been stockpiling. Can't really spend a penny on R/C without serious budget issues. One of the items I happened to already have is a MM J-3 Cub kit. I finally got busy with it and have it fully built and have the fuse completely covered. Forgot just how bad I hate SoLite but I'm dealing with it. My much preferred SolarFilm would probably crush the airframe when shrunk so the SoLite is the best option for this lightweight bird. I pre-sprayed the wood with yellow paint so the transparent SoLite looks slightly better. Only added 6 extra grams of weight too.

I work nights now and that really throws off everything from building to flying times. Temps are finally dropping here in the valley of HELL so the tolerable flying season is going to be in full swing very soon. I'm pushing myself to have this baby in the air within the next two weeks. Don't know if it'll happen but I'm going to try hard. I want something to fly in the tiny park just down the road from my house. The MM Cub and my MM Cessna 180 will be perfect there.

I haven't taken any pictures of the build. Hey, it's a Cub and it's yellow. Not like nobody has seen THAT before....

Joe

Glad to see you back at it, Joe! I have kind of watched the weather in your corner of the world over the summer, and I think I would have packed up and moved to Antarctica. I do hope that the weather breaks and you can get out and do some flying.

I know the Cub will be a great flyer for you. I've got a Clipped Wing kit in the closet screaming for some attention. Maybe after I do the Hiper Bipe I got from Brian at NEAT. Anyway, if I can be of any help, i.e. if you need anything, shoot me an email. I'd love to help out, if I can.

Mark
buzzltyr is offline Find More Posts by buzzltyr
Old Sep 24, 2011, 10:48 PM
New Zealand
Joined Jul 2008
857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojoe View Post

Joe
Welcome back Joe!!!
I'm also working on a mountain models cub but my one is the L-4 Grasshopper, its been a struggle and not as much fun as my Switchback Sr build but I guess thats due to the size....Lol
I'm going to use doculam to cover it and then dope some tissue over the top to give me a canvas look (hopefully it won't be to heavy)
-Reuben
ben199 is offline Find More Posts by ben199
Old Sep 25, 2011, 12:39 AM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,260 Posts
Reuben,

That's gonna look great! I thought about using the package of Coverite Coverlite yellow tissue that I've had for over 10 years on mine. That was until I opened it up and saw there wasn't enough to do the whole bird. Didn't want to order another package especially while I still had all the SoLite laying around. Tissue would look SO much better though.

Mark,

It's still above 100 at midday but the nights are getting better and better. It's 10:30 p.m. and a "cool" 91 degrees right now. Gotta love it.

Joe
Old Sep 25, 2011, 12:04 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2011
62 Posts
The L-4 is one of Brian's best!
Animus - angelfood is offline Find More Posts by Animus - angelfood
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 25, 2011, 10:31 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,260 Posts
I could have sworn I had some Cub bear decals that were perfect for this bird. I can't find them though. Anyone have a properly sized hi-res file that I could print out on decal paper?

Joe
Old Sep 26, 2011, 02:20 AM
USA, MA, Longmeadow
Joined Jun 2003
1,830 Posts
Joe, you might have to resize it a bit, but how about this one:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...77&postcount=8

Mark
Old Sep 26, 2011, 12:07 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,260 Posts
Thanks Mark. I had found that file with a Google search. First print was full page! I'll have to play around and see if I can get it sized down without using a full ink cartridge. Graphic design is definitely NOT my strong suit!

I found the decals I knew I had. They're on my MM EZ-Cub.

Joe
Old Sep 26, 2011, 12:15 PM
God is my pilot
United States, MI, Kalamazoo Township
Joined Aug 2006
2,403 Posts
Welcome back Joe!
JimTMich is online now Find More Posts by JimTMich
Old Sep 26, 2011, 12:35 PM
USA, MA, Longmeadow
Joined Jun 2003
1,830 Posts
Joe, try this one. I think it's close to the size you'll need. If you want a bit bigger or smaller, let me know.

Mark