HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 12, 2011, 11:19 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2009
4,831 Posts
And, though very light, the design is exceptionally strong!
angelfood is offline Find More Posts by angelfood
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2011, 04:57 AM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,305 Posts
I've been working on my Cub a few minutes at a time for the past few days. I have the fuse done to the point of where I build the landing gear next. Hopefully can knock that out tomorrow before work. Gotta say it's been one of the more enjoyable builds that I've done in a while. Very smooth and straightforward.

I cheated and skipped ahead and built all three motor mounts as I have a power system to work with all of them. One of the sweetest is an old Astro Flight 10 turn 010 brushless in a GWS gearbox. I can gear it to use a smaller prop if needed. I'll have to do some testing. It needs to get used again rather than just rot in the "old stuff" box.

At the rate I'm going I figure it'll be a month or so before I have her finished. I've decided not to do any modifications (flaps etc). I'll finally build a MM kit bone stock....

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
Old Feb 26, 2011, 11:31 AM
READY!
seattle, wa
Joined May 2008
623 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojoe View Post
I've been working on my Cub a few minutes at a time for the past few days. I have the fuse done to the point of where I build the landing gear next. Hopefully can knock that out tomorrow before work. Gotta say it's been one of the more enjoyable builds that I've done in a while. Very smooth and straightforward.

I cheated and skipped ahead and built all three motor mounts as I have a power system to work with all of them. One of the sweetest is an old Astro Flight 10 turn 010 brushless in a GWS gearbox. I can gear it to use a smaller prop if needed. I'll have to do some testing. It needs to get used again rather than just rot in the "old stuff" box.

At the rate I'm going I figure it'll be a month or so before I have her finished. I've decided not to do any modifications (flaps etc). I'll finally build a MM kit bone stock....
Joe
I finished my MM J3 a couple months ago. I tried to build my J3 as stock as possible, and had fun adding some scale details, and awesome vinyl graphics. I suppose by the end of it all I may have spent 30-40 hours on it. Having built many Guillows kits, the J3 was my first build to fly electric balsa kit. It was fun. I love this plane!

I tried programming flaperons and it just didn't need them. This plane flies great, and really slow with the stock scale wing.
shafferama is offline Find More Posts by shafferama
Old Feb 26, 2011, 12:05 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shafferama View Post
I finished my MM J3 a couple months ago. I tried to build my J3 as stock as possible, and had fun adding some scale details, and awesome vinyl graphics. I suppose by the end of it all I may have spent 30-40 hours on it. Having built many Guillows kits, the J3 was my first build to fly electric balsa kit. It was fun. I love this plane!

I tried programming flaperons and it just didn't need them. This plane flies great, and really slow with the stock scale wing.
Yep, my first J-3 flew perfectly without flaperons, and like you, I found they didn't do anything to improve the flight characteristics.

My L-4 BirdDog won't have them either, That's next on my list.
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 03, 2011, 02:41 AM
Campbell River BC
Joined Nov 2002
4 Posts
Just finishing up the MM Cub after being out of the hobby for about 8 years so still using 72MHz equipment. Mounting the receiver so any suggestions what to do with the full length antenna would be appreciated?

Thanks,
Roger
campaholic is offline Find More Posts by campaholic
Old Apr 03, 2011, 03:28 AM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by campaholic View Post
Just finishing up the MM Cub after being out of the hobby for about 8 years so still using 72MHz equipment. Mounting the receiver so any suggestions what to do with the full length antenna would be appreciated?

Thanks,
Roger

My MM Cub is almost done and like you I'll be flying 72mhz in this bird. I use short Azarr antennas on almost all of my 72mhz stuff. They work great in everything but especially well in these smaller planes. The entire antenna can be concealed inside the fuselage. The price has gone up quite a bit since I bought my last one but they're worth every penny.

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
Old Apr 04, 2011, 12:31 PM
Campbell River BC
Joined Nov 2002
4 Posts
Would rather not cut the antenna as I stole it from a glow plane and may need to out it back in.

Roger
Old Apr 05, 2011, 07:25 AM
BYOP - Build Your Own Planes
United States, WI, Appleton
Joined Mar 2001
1,724 Posts
Roger,

I took the antenna out the bottom, along the left side bottom, to the back, and then back up the right side bottom edge.

It did reduce the range very slightly. Try it and just do a range check before flying it, but that should work fine.

Brian
Mountain Models is offline Find More Posts by Mountain Models
Old Apr 05, 2011, 06:30 PM
No conspiracy in theory
Oak Ridge, Tenn.
Joined Aug 2004
3,648 Posts
I always had good reliable results by wrapping just enough of the antenna around a dowel so that the total length was reduced just enough to fit inside the fuselage (or wing). I started with a dowel that was just long enough to fit the length, tape or heat shrink the tip of the antenna to the end of the dowel, then straight along the dowel to a point where you can wrap the excess and still have enough to reach the Rx mount location. Secure the wraps with tape or hot glue but avoid any overlap. You are essentially making a base or mid loaded antenna of the stock antenna.
Mike.
skorski is offline Find More Posts by skorski
Old Apr 14, 2011, 06:37 PM
Campbell River BC
Joined Nov 2002
4 Posts
I tried wrapping the antenna around a straw. So far it looks like it should work but I haven't done a proper range check yet.

Thanks for the ideas.

Roger
Old Apr 23, 2011, 02:29 AM
Campbell River BC
Joined Nov 2002
4 Posts
The coiled antenna around the soda straw worked great. And the plane flew amazing. Great kit Mountain Models.

Roger
Old Jul 06, 2011, 06:27 PM
Australia, VIC, Ferntree Gully
Joined Nov 2010
179 Posts
Pete here from Australia.
Only heli and ARF trainer experience so far, decided on a MM cub as a sensible first build - always admire the scale like planes more than the 'whatever ' generic shapes our field seems to be populated with.

Kit should arrive this week or next - then I will take my time with the build and get in some flying experience before flying the cub.

Can see already quite a few more MM planes coming.
peterreebok is online now Find More Posts by peterreebok
Old Jul 06, 2011, 07:29 PM
READY!
seattle, wa
Joined May 2008
623 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterreebok View Post
Only heli and ARF trainer experience so far, decided on a MM cub as a sensible first build - always admire the scale like planes more than the 'whatever ' generic shapes our field seems to be populated with.

Kit should arrive this week or next - then I will take my time with the build and get in some flying experience before flying the cub.

I had maybe a half dozen Guillows build under my belt when I built the MM J3 but it was the first plane I built for electric powered flight. It was a good place for me to start and I'll bet it'll work out well for you. The only hiccup I can recall was the sheeted area around the nose. Tip: don't lose your patience when you install those sections.

As for flight characteristics...as they say..."Flys like a Cub" This plane is a beaut!

Keep us posted!
shafferama is offline Find More Posts by shafferama
Old Jul 06, 2011, 08:03 PM
I need a bigger garage...
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2005
1,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterreebok View Post

Great choice for a first build. The clipped wing version was my first kit build as well. I'm still happily flying it four years later (although I need some new batteries now, four year old lipos aren't cutting it any more...) The cub can really fly nice and easy, you're going to like it.

Andy
ajreynolds is offline Find More Posts by ajreynolds
Old Aug 06, 2011, 01:31 AM
Australia, VIC, Ferntree Gully
Joined Nov 2010
179 Posts
It arrived a couple of weeks ago.
Been clearing an area to build!.

Have only opened the bags, and had the plans copied for the inevitable bugger up of the originals with a knife, glue, etc etc.

Looks like it will go together pretty quick.
peterreebok is online now Find More Posts by peterreebok