HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 24, 2007, 11:22 AM
BYOP - Build Your Own Planes
United States, WI, Appleton
Joined Mar 2001
1,725 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram
Yeh, I agree.. The MM is much more scale looking.. I wonder if we could talk Steve into a 65" version..
Steve or Brian???
Mountain Models is offline Find More Posts by Mountain Models
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2007, 11:38 AM
Joined Oct 2006
675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eberwein
Steve or Brian???
Yeah, I wondered about that one too Fred. Some people just can't remember names worth a hoot!
gsk11740 is offline Find More Posts by gsk11740
Old Aug 25, 2007, 04:02 AM
Bona Fide Cub Nut
Northwest Oregon
Joined Jan 2006
613 Posts
An L-4

Quote:
Well, I was going to do the L-4 first, and then the Super Cub. The L-4 is as simple as a new fuselage, so that part's cool. I hope to have the L-4 at NEAT, though it depends on how fast the other projects go.

<SNIP>
Brian
Wow!! An L-4 Kit!!

I will be one of your first customers.

I already have your Clipped Wing Cub kit all framed up and ready to sand. I was going to install a 100 watt DIY two-stator motor, but it jammed up and fried a 10 amp ESC with over 80 amps. ( ) Time to re-wire.

In the mean time, in the last 3 weeks, I have been to two vintage air-show / fly-ins in the Portland, Oregon area where I have taken close to 200 photos of three L-4 restorations. One (an L-4H) with a pack of Lucky Strikes, a 45 auto in holster on the rear seat, and a copy of "Yank" magazine on the rear shelf.

Needless to say, most of my photos are of the window areas - with my folding carpenter's rule in some of them.

My plan is to bash a 12-15 year old still-in-the-box Goldberg Anniversary Cub into an L-4. (What the heck - it ain't that scale anyway!! What harm can I do? ) I expect to use a lot of carbon fiber and aluminum around those windows.

Knowing how fast I get to projects like this, I will probably finish your L-4 long before I get around to the hack job.

If anyone is in the Northwest the weekend of Sept 7-9, the Western Antique Aeroplane & Automobile Museum (www.waaamuseum.org) is having its grand opening in Hood River, Oregon. The museum director told me they expect between 15 and 20 "L" birds there, including most assuredly the three L-4's I have pictures of. All are in flying condition.

ALSO - for all you Cub Nuts out there - - - Check out the second annual CubNuts fun fly Sept 21-22 in Oregon. My MM Clipped Wing cub will be there along with dozens of Cubs and cub-derivatives of all sizes and power plants up to a 40% Cub - and probably one or more of those L-4's in a full-size fly-by of cubs. See www.cubnuts.com. There will be some Cub aero-tows on the 21st. Is anybody aware that there was a Piper Cub glider?? Yup! There will be one of those there too. Many well-known sponsors including Wil Byers' Quiet Flyer Magazine and a LHS, Coyote Hobbies.

One of the attached photos is a Photoshop cutout of the WAAAM-owned L-4A that was at both air shows. The L-4H was the one with the Lucky Strike pack. Both planes in mint condition - and flyable.

Curt
CurtissP40 is offline Find More Posts by CurtissP40
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CurtissP40; Sep 01, 2007 at 03:25 PM.
Old Aug 25, 2007, 06:59 PM
Joined Oct 2006
675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seawolf 24
I think many folks are like me; lazy, scattered, and directionless

Kits generally take me 5 mos to a year,and ARF's 3 mos. to 7 mos.

Never bought an RTF; probably could get it ready in 3 to 4 weeks if I hurried!

Duke
I just found this while reading through this thread. Man, if this little gem doesn't have ME described perfectly, I don't know what would!

Let's see. I have the MM Dandy (half built), the MM P-51 (untouched so far), the EVA Bipe (just got - still untouched) and now I just ordered the MM J-3 Cub.
Last edited by gsk11740; Aug 26, 2007 at 10:55 PM.
Old Aug 25, 2007, 08:01 PM
Joined Oct 2006
675 Posts
Hey Brian. I was looking over the covering (page 20 or so). Do you carry Solarfilm or do you just have the Solite? I didn't see Solarfilm on your website but didn't know if maybe I just missed it. I was looking at some of the pictures of the finished Cubs (service_dude's to be exact) farther back and never realized Solite was that transparent.
Old Aug 27, 2007, 07:22 AM
FLY NAVY!
Clinton, TN
Joined Oct 2003
688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdl76
So what is the covering your all using? I dont like to see through the covering. What would be the best covering that is solid (non transparent)

Great thread btw
Yes im a newbie.
I used solarfilm dark yellow; color and opacity are perfect BUT be sure wing has no warps prior to covering; I'm in the process of recovering the wing now.

Duke
Seawolf 24 is offline Find More Posts by Seawolf 24
Last edited by Seawolf 24; Sep 02, 2007 at 09:28 AM. Reason: added opacity comment
Old Sep 20, 2007, 12:08 PM
Joined Mar 2001
1,725 Posts
Hey Duke, do you have any pictures of yours?

I got mine out flying early Sunday at NEAT. That was the first time in a couple months and I had forgotten how relaxing it was.

Brian
Old Sep 21, 2007, 08:16 AM
FLY NAVY!
Clinton, TN
Joined Oct 2003
688 Posts
Quote:
Hey Duke, do you have any pictures of yours?

I got mine out flying early Sunday at NEAT. That was the first time in a couple months and I had forgotten how relaxing it was.

Brian
I'll take a few shots when it's all done, BEFORE the maiden. Wing recovering (from warps) going OK, I think. I did add 1-2 degrees washout to the tips.
I made all the graphics on label stock, but I sure wish I had waterslide decals. Positioning is so much easier. Maybe I'll try black covering stock for the bolt and wing numbers.

Duke
Old Sep 21, 2007, 08:56 AM
Joined Mar 2001
1,725 Posts
Quote:
I made all the graphics on label stock, but I sure wish I had waterslide decals. Positioning is so much easier. Maybe I'll try black covering stock for the bolt and wing numbers.

Duke
One of the tricks I use on long label stock is to make it into a "crack and peel". Pull the trim back a bit and trim the backing. Repeat every cuple inches. Then, when you go to apply it to the model, hold it in place with a couple pieces of LOW tack tape. Remove the front piece of backing, stick it down, remove the next piece of backing, and repeat, until you get the whole thing done.

Brian
Old Sep 22, 2007, 09:43 AM
FLY NAVY!
Clinton, TN
Joined Oct 2003
688 Posts
Quote:
One of the tricks I use on long label stock is to make it into a "crack and peel". Pull the trim back a bit and trim the backing. Repeat every cuple inches. Then, when you go to apply it to the model, hold it in place with a couple pieces of LOW tack tape. Remove the front piece of backing, stick it down, remove the next piece of backing, and repeat, until you get the whole thing done.

Brian
Well, that should work. Why didn't I think of that Guess I'll give it a shot that way when I'm ready for the graphics (fairly soon, I hope ).
Thanks, Brian

PS: Why don't you make a deal w/ Callie or somebody to get a good decal set (minus any copyrighted stuff) for your J3 kits. You could raise the price a bit with no problem, I think.

Duke
Old Sep 22, 2007, 06:50 PM
Got Epoxy
Salisbury Ma
Joined Dec 2004
733 Posts
Quote:
Well, that should work. Why didn't I think of that Guess I'll give it a shot that way when I'm ready for the graphics (fairly soon, I hope ).
Thanks, Brian

PS: Why don't you make a deal w/ Callie or somebody to get a good decal set (minus any copyrighted stuff) for your J3 kits. You could raise the price a bit with no problem, I think.

Duke

I'm not sure if it works on label stock but you might want to try the windex method , I spray the surface (So-Lite) with Windex and the back of the graphics as well then lay it on there. the windex allows ya to position it without it sticking right away, then I just squeagy out the windex from the decal with a paper towel , if it is still crooked just lift the edge and squirt some more under it and try again, My uncle is a sign maker and thats how he positions vinyl lettering on signs and vehicles .

good luck,

Glenn
shrub wacker is offline Find More Posts by shrub wacker
Old Sep 23, 2007, 08:08 AM
FLY NAVY!
Clinton, TN
Joined Oct 2003
688 Posts
That would be nice and easy, but I'm worried the windex could dissolve the ink-jet ink, even tho I've tried to seal them w/ clearcote.
Sure worth a test try, tho.
Thanks,

Duke
Old Sep 23, 2007, 05:02 PM
Bona Fide Cub Nut
Northwest Oregon
Joined Jan 2006
613 Posts
Cubnuts / 2007

Well, Cubnuts (www.cubnuts.com) is done for another year.

And a resounding success it was! As one might expect most of the pilots were from the western states, with one pilot from Texas.

There were 48 pilots, and considerably more than 70 planes.

AND - Brian, take a bow - there were two Laser Arts/Mountain Models 1/9th cubs, one regular J3, and my Clipped Wing Cub.

Both of them flew very well. The regular J3 was flown by a 12 year old boy. The Clipped Wing Cub was flown by a pilot who is 6 times his age

We had a basic fun fly, plus a two plane pylon race, an "obstacle" course, and - if you had enough nerve, an all up event. Just 18 of the 48 pilots mustered enough gumption to do that one - but even those 18 cubs in the air at one time was impressive.

Eight full-sized Cubs did a fly-by, and four of them landed - so that all could get up close and see what they look like. Two of them were wearing tundra tires.

All of the above was on Saturday, the 22nd. On Friday, there was some aerotowing, using Cub Tugs and some scale gliders. I arrived too late to see it, but there was a custom built "Carbon Cub". I was told that its landing roll-out was about 15 feet, and the take off run was about 30 feet.

There were bunches of vendor/sponsor prizes too.

All-in-all, a good time was had by all.
CurtissP40 is offline Find More Posts by CurtissP40
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CurtissP40; Sep 24, 2007 at 02:12 PM.
Old Sep 24, 2007, 12:49 AM
Lafayette, CA
Joined Aug 2002
2,840 Posts
Sounds like alot of fun! I am slowly getting my clipped wing done. For some reason cubs didn't appeal to me until recently, but now I am hooked.

-Jon
echoplanar is offline Find More Posts by echoplanar
Old Sep 24, 2007, 11:11 AM
Joined Mar 2001
1,725 Posts
If you got any pictures of CubNuts, send them to me, I'd love to see them. I've been addicted to Cubs since I was about 2 years old.

Brian